“What a surprise” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Il Centro Apartment Suites

Save Saved
You added Il Centro Apartment Suites to your Saves list
Il Centro Apartment Suites
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   26 - 30 Sheridan St, Cairns, Queensland 4870, Australia   |
Ranked #20 of 66 hotels in Cairns
Brisbane, Australia
“What a surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

I booked into the Il Centro for a one night stay for work in April 2014. On being dropped off by the taxi at the entrance, I was a little hesitant as the façade was less than impressive. I was met at the door by the manager and staff who were very jovial and polite. After checking in which was a very easy process, I was led to my room. Immediately upon getting out of the lift it was like I was in a different place, there were palm trees inside the courtyard hidden from the hustle and bustle of the exterior. The room was massive, I had a one bedroom apartment which was close to the largest one I have had. There was a slight musky smell (which many tropical north rooms have) but opening the window cleared that pretty quickly.

Overall this place is highly recommended. It is a little dated, but is superbly located for the convention centre. The only reason this stay didn't receive 5 stars is a couple of very minor maintenance issues. I have stayed in places an awful lot more expensive that this in Cairns but will make this my next stop guaranteed.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

54 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

IL Centro was a fantastic place to stay, the rates were good and it was exceptional value, The guys handled all the tour bookings for us and pick the best of breed from the operators. The rooms are clean, fully self contained and laundry facilities. The location is perfect for a peaceful stay yet close to restaurants and bars.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

I stayed for a week in early November. This apartment had everything we were looking for to ensure we had a relaxed stay. Small kitchen, fully equipped laundry, effective air con & an extremely comfy bed. Even though we were a short walk to everything it was extremely quiet. The fact that the main Law Court is directly opposite meant that there was a police presence which made me feel very secure. They are having trouble with the pool surrounds & couldnt be used during our stay. It actually made our stay better by making us go down to the Esplanade pool which is huge & we had some wonderful conversations with people from all over the world. It was quite an experience sharing travel tips whilst hanging out in this great venue! Loved Il Centro!

• Stayed November 2013
Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I had a pleasant and easy stay here over the recent long weekend.

The location is fantastic - easy walking distance to everything in the city centre, but remarkably quiet.

My apartment had a large renovated bathroom including washer, drier, bath and big fluffy towels. The kitchen was well appointed and had everything I needed.

Staff were friendly and very helpful. I checked in after hours, and this was no problem - when I arrived they had already made all the arrangements, and they gave me easy directions to get into my apartment. There was no one checking into my apartment on the day that I left, so staff offered for me to stay in the apartment for an extra couple of hours beyond checkout time until I left for the airport.

Excellent experience overall. I travel through Cairns several times a year, and I have had wildly differing experiences with accommodation. This was a good find, and prices are very reasonable.

I'll be back - thanks!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

This place had everything we needed. The pool was closed while we were there but the room was clean and comfortable (great bed). Full kitchen and a washer drier makes it a great option for a longer stay. Close to the centre of town (a five to 10 minute walk to most places including the esplanade). Reasonable rates and the manager was very helpful. Quiet at night. We accidentally left our door ajar while we out all day and nothing was taken from our room. Being across the road from the Cairns Police HQ probably helps make it a pretty safe place to stay. Would definitely consider another stay when we return to Cairns....

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Nambour, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

This was a very good place to stay for a 4-day business trip for a function at the Cairns Convention Centre, only one block away.

Although slightly dated, my 1-bedroom apartment had everything I needed, particularly a comfortable bed and large bathroom with a great shower and good towels!

My unit faced west on Sheridan Street which was too noisy to open the balcony doors- the only windows in the unit. That was really the only drawback.

Otherwise the apartment was very comfortable, conveniently located to shops and restaurants, and good value for money, with working free wi-fi.

Good for a business trip, but probably not great for a holiday.

• Stayed September 2013
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I stayed here for two nights in July. I was firstly greeted by a nice chap at the front desk who showed me to my room which was spacious and clean. The apartment was well equipped with everything that I could need - I had just spent two weeks in a campervan though so I may have been a bit over-enthusiastic! The pool was out of commission while I was there but this didn't bother me. For me, this was a great choice - central location, super value and really friendly and attentive staff.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Been to Il Centro Apartment Suites? Share your experiences!