“Brilliant serviced apartments” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 66 Hotels in Cairns
south strathfield
“Brilliant serviced apartments”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2008

Amazing location right on the waterfront; incredibly friendly management; enormous value; highly recommended 10/10

• Liked — great views, great staff, great value
  • Disliked — nil
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2008

Waterfront Terraces

We stayed at Waterfront Terraces for five nights in February 2008. The apartment was clean and tidy and the living area was particularly spacious. It was on the first floor with an excellent view of the Esplanade.

It was quite a trek from the city centre but there are some restaurants nearby and the taxis are efficient and cheap.

The apartment made a first rate base for trips to the rainforest and the reef. The manager was very knowledgeable and helpful and we went on several excellent trips all recommended and arranged by him.

We would definitely stay at Waterfront Terraces again if we want a base in the area.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2008

In Jan 08 i stayed for 3 weeks at Waterfront Terraces - had a wonderful time, and used about every amenity and service they offered.

The place was clean and tidy with a lovely view of the esplanade. It was a bit of a walk into town, but it was quiet and I loved taking sunset strolls along the esplanade to and then back from dinner.

The manager was very helpful, answering all my questions about Cairns and surrounds with knowledge and good humour. I took his recommendations on tours, horseriding, scuba diving, and restaurants (including wonderful Greek, Japanese, Fish and Chips, Tapas, Thai and Gelati!). When it was rainy, I borrowed books and dvd's from reception free of charge and got take-away delivered to my door. The pool and barbeque area was nice too.

A freshening of decor would be nice perhaps, but because of the really helpful manager and great location, Waterfront Terraces had more than I'd usually expect of a serviced apartment.

• Liked — Very helpful manager, quite location, great views.
  • Disliked — Decor a bit outdated.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Waterfront_Terraces, Manager at Waterfront Terraces, responded to this review, March 26, 2008
I would like to thank reviewers like this who offer constructive comments. I have used this and other constructive comments posted in a campaign to have the owners refurbish the apartments and am pleased to say that we have a refurbishment of the living room (sofas, sofa beds, rug and artwork) and bedrooms (new beds, covers, curtains,artwork etc) scheduled for staged work commencing at the end of April and due to be finished by the end of May. Manager
Mackay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2008

How can you not love this place? I travel to Cairns regularly for business and have stayed in almost every four star plus apartment in town and this is the one that I will be returning to from now on. Can you believe panoramic sea views from the ground floor? - ask for apartment 2 or 3. Located in a wonderful spot across from the beautiful esplanade and about 2 kms from the city centre. I really appreciated the fact that I could get a good nights sleep away from the noisy nightlife of Cairns and in a sparkling clean room with silent and effective ducted air conditioning. Great wireless internet, great pool and tropical gardens, great rooms with new LCD TVs and great manager (be careful - I think he speaks about 5 languages)....just a great place all round. I just can't think of anything to fault Waterfront Terraces...for me it is the best all round accommodation in Cairns.

• Liked — Just the right distance away from the town centre and excellent airconditioning
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
surrey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2008

Apartment was tired, no headboard, grubby carpet. The whole place could have been cleaner.
No change of towels. We had to pay for fresh ones, No pool towels provided, but you can pay to hire them.
Only a little bit of loo roll was provided, and then you have to pay $1.50 for a new one. Similarly, only one tiny sachet of dishwasher powder, so most of the cutlery & china is far from pristine.
There is a wireless Internet service, but it's not cheap.
A long walk into town, & the local supermarket is very expensive. Probably not a good place to be if you have no car,
On the other hand, the new owner is helpful and keen to improve the operation. And the swimming pool is lovely!

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Waterfront_Terraces, Manager at Waterfront Terraces, responded to this review, March 7, 2008
I would like to point out that there is a difference between serviced apartments and hotels. We offer weekly servicing (as stated on our web site and in other literature) but the guest only had a 5 day booking. You will also find that the vast majority (if not all) complexes charge for pool towels and consumables as we offer a SELF CATERING service. I acknowledge the possibility that a spare roll of toilet paper may not have been placed in the apartment but if that was the case and it was brought to the attention of management it could have easily have been rectified. We try not to be wasteful and therefore do not place a full roll if a reasonable quantity remains, however a spare roll is placed in the cabinet usually. If there was a spare and you still found that inadequate I again draw your attention to the fact that the apartments are self catering. As for internet, in Australia it is expensive and we charge a comparable fee to other complexes.
I am happy to leave genuine comments even if they are not positive (eg décor not modern, little further from town than expected, etc. ) and have even used them in my push for refurbishments, but I do not feel the comments by this guest could go unanswered.
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2008

My wife & I were in Australia, city-hopping from Cairns to Sydney to Melbourne and then back to Cairns. We selected Waterfront Terraces based on the internet reviews and their lovely website. Although their website shows 4.5 stars, it definitely was not when compared to other 4.5 star hotels we stayed in throughout Australia.

Good: Friendly front person. Clean room.
Bad: Lumpy bed. Living room furniture needs to be updated. Pricey considering location and amenities.
Summary: If you're looking for 4.5 stars, look somewhere else.

• Liked — Friendly front staff.
  • Disliked — No elevator.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2007

Based on the review from the Lonely Planet book and the reviews from Tripadvisor.com, our expectations were quite high for this place. Upon our arrival, those highs quickly sank. Our single room apartment was clean, but the furniture seemed very dated. Air conditioning was provided only in the living room portion with ceiling fans throughout. When small ants were seen on the walls and the ceiling, we had enough.
Stay at another hotel, where prices are maybe $20 higher and well worth it.

Stayed November 2007
Waterfront_Terraces, manager at Waterfront Terraces, responded to this review, December 14, 2007
The following are points that I would like to make about this particular guest:
Upon check in they complained in Korean that Waterfront Terraces was further away from the city than they thought. They were no doubt unaware that I speak Korean so I noted that comment. They went into there room and stayed about 30 minutes. The air conditioning is ducted throughout the apartment but would take more than 30 minutes to cool the whole apartment. They came down and used the house internet to shop for another hotel. After finding one they then said that there were ants and would like to cancel there booking. I offered to let them have another room but they were not interested in even looking. No mention was made of air conditioning. They requested a total refund but I declined, taking one nights accommodation, as I was less than impressed with there attitude. I believe that their comments on Trip adviser are more related to the fact that I did not refund there entire deposit (our cancellation policy allowed for us to take the full amount). Oh - and I checked the room and there were 2 bush ants in the bathroom - I counted them.

Been to Waterfront Terraces? Share your experiences!