“Good staff, clean rooms,use of small car.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Hotel Cairns

Save Saved
You added The Hotel Cairns to your Saves list
The Hotel Cairns
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cnr Florence & Abbott Sts, Cairns, Queensland 4870, Australia   |
Ranked #42 of 66 hotels in Cairns
werribiee victoria
“Good staff, clean rooms,use of small car.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I have read the complaints re The Hotel Cairns. As the saying goes you will never please every oneall the time.
My wife and I spent 4 days in the hotel, front of house staff go out of there way to help.
When we asked where the best place was to hire a car, I was told (don't be silly you can use one of ours, free of charge), we only had to pay for the insurance for the car. We saved a couple of hundred dollars doing this.

Evening meal in the restaurant, was a little expensive for us being on the pension. Breakfast was good, have as much of what you want, in a very nice dining room.
Just cant say enough how friendly and helpful the staff are, it is well in walking distance to Cairns CBD, and all the other restaurants and shops.

We will be going again, and will happily tell others of this Hotel, the friendly staff.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

258 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Yungaburra
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We spent one night here a fortnight ago and found the staff very helpful and accommodating. The room was adequate for our needs for an overnight stay. The bed was comfortable and we had a roomy room. Our request for additional pillows was complied with - ask and thou shalt receive - nice clean linen and the complimentary buffet breakfast met our needs. Value for money!

Room Tip: Off-street, undercover, secure parking was a bonus and the internal lift made life so much easier...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We stayed here for five nights last week ... Hotel clean and comfy but overpriced for what you get... Breaks was included but really wasn't a great selection on offer .. If I wanted home brand juice etc I could get my own ... Overall a nice place to rest for the night but no atmosphere and staff were rude .. Called to reception for an extra pillow and clearly I was disturbing the man that answered .. He made it pretty clear no pillow would be coming to us ... And it didn't ... Disappointing service really

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Booked in Feb as the offer included a day of Smart Car hire. I even contacted the office once o booked & requested the car for a certain day. Arrive & they say they don't have the cars anymore, haven't for months. Offered nothing to us as a sweetener, said take it up with the web site I booked with. And no soap for hand basin and no milk in the fridge. Won't book here again. Stayed at Breakfree on the esplanade last month, much better, they were friendly and helpful & a better location

• Stayed June 2014
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Outdated hotel needs an upgrade . promised smart cars when I booked an online package for 7days staying at this hotel. when I asked where was the smart car I was told they were getting repaired. So I had to hire a car for a week. Was told by a rental car company the hotel cairns smart cars were sold WISH I WAS TOLD EARLIER AS I HAD BOOKED IN FEB TAKEN MY HOLIDAY IN JUNE AND IT COST ME A LOT MORE THAN I EXPECTED. I COULD HAVE BOOKED SOMEWHERE NICER.

Room Tip: Top room a bit quiter
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Biel, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

We stayed here as part of a hotel package combined with the Pro Dive 5 day learn to dive course. We chose this hotel because we wanted to treat ourselves as we thought it would be really nice. The room was large and comfortable but the view wasn't very good. There was a pool but it was quite small so we only used it once. When we went down for breakfast on the first day we found out that breakfast wasn't included despite the fact I had checked this with the hotel in advance, they said we could pay for breakfast which was ridiculously expensive so we just went down the road to a nice place which overlooked the ocean. Overall we were a bit disappointed with the hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

Hotel and room were acceptable if a little dated and in need of renovation. My complaint is the extremely rude and unprofessional reception staff. We were given a brochure which clearly stated that Breakfast was from 6-10 am on Saturday and Sunday. We arrived on a Saturday at 9.30 am only to find the restaurant only served breakfast till 9 am. When I approached the receptionist no apology was offered when I explained my problem, I was informed that I should never have been given said brochure as the times were incorrect. I explained that some compensation should be offered as I had paid for breakfast inclusive for 4 people. The young lady then proceeded to argue that as I had booked through Expedia and this was a reduced rate offer I would not be entitled to any refund or compensation! I told here that was unacceptable and asked to speak to the manager. The manager was only going to be in at 3 pm and she would ask him to contact me then- I'm still waiting!!
I will email the manager and see what happens

Room Tip: Go to another Hotel!!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to The Hotel Cairns? Share your experiences!