“Stay at this hotel - you'll be glad you did - consider booking excursions elsewhere” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tropical Heritage Cairns

Package Deal
Ranked #7 of 66 Hotels in Cairns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2010

I booked this hotel with a little concern because while tripadvisor told me it was a winner, the pictures showed a pretty tired, old hotel. I trusted my fellow advisors though and booked away - good call folks!

The place isn't run down or tried as the pictures may imply. It was quite satisfactory and even had free internet!

Location, location, location!

We also stayed at the Pacific International Hotel on a separate night, and while it was fine, it wasn't as nice as Heritage and being as it was $20 more, I wish I had just stayed at Heritage both nights in Cairns.

As for what the gal before me said about bookings, I briefly skimmed it and it seems Heritage may give less-than objective advice. This may be the case, but if you're researching a hotel through tripadvisor, you'll probably be researching everything else (as this guy obviously did). Bottom line, go with your objective advise from someone with no vested interest - where available. If you think there are better deals out there go and see. Get a quote and shop around. But again, read tripadvisor and you should be fine.

This said, bostonguy81 may be onto something as I have never seen more advertisements for things to do around then at the Heritage, and everything you could do could be booked at the front desk. Possibly explaining the very low room prices, but definitely not negating the value that Heritage offers.

I did get a brief glimpse of possible preference when I asked for a ice cream place and they sent me to Divine Gelato -raving about it and telling me if I went anywhere else I'd be disappointed. We gladly took their suggestion and went over there. *The following is a complete stereotype and may not be accurate* The owner operator seemed like she was one of the older couple's card playing buddies... That said the Gelato was pretty good, but it was definitely no Italian Gelato. It's hard to believe that everyone else in the town couldn't have made Gelato to this standard, as Heritage stated.

Bottom line, while Heritage may be lining their pockets through booking fees, commissions, and under the table recommendations, it is an AMAZING value and you should go ahead and book away. Just make sure that it is Cairns you want to stay in for adventure and reef trips and that it isn't a beach town you want - this would be Port Douglas.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Heritage9, Manager at Tropical Heritage Cairns, responded to this review, May 22, 2010
This reviewer raises a good point about the ice cream we recommended. As regular Ice Cream consumers we did sent them to an Aussie Gelato shop instead of an Ice Cream Parlour We therefore offer the following general information regarding the differences between Aussie Gelato & Aussie Ice Cream?

Gelato in Aus means “an Italian style ice cream with almost no air”. Aussie Gelato typically has 35% less air than Ice Cream. Gelato is made with whole cow’s milk and normally contains around 4% to 8% butterfat; Ice cream normally contains between 15% & 26% butterfat. Gelato ingredients are not homogenized together and with less butterfat they melt quicker than Ice Cream. Gelato uses a forced air freezer which holds the temperature between 0-6°F which is about 10-15°F warmer than Ice Cream this keeps Gelato in a semi frozen state as opposed to Ice Cream which is frozen. Gelato made with water instead of dairy products is usually called Sorbet in Australia.

We totally agree with the reviewer the taste difference between Ice Cream & Aussie Gelato is obvious. Italian Gelato is another story, Australia has a huge Italian migrant population but we too have only found true taste Italian Gelato in Italy.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Gifford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2010

Stayed here for 2 nights in May 2010. Arrived early around 12pm and the room was available so that was good. Hotel is quite well located and easy to find, maybe a 10-15 mins walk to the centre or the train station. Room had usual features, air con, TV, fridge, ensuite etc. Very clean. I found the hotel to be a bit jaded, a lot of the fixtures and fittings are old, TV did not have a remote, effective but noisy air con, double bed comprised 2 singles joined together, low shower (approx 5') so most users need to crouch under it. The hotel offers some useful facilities like free internet but they are hidden in a room of the main corridor and not very obvious. These are all minor niggles, did not detract from my stay there really but surprised that this hotel was so highly rated by other users. The hotel looks to be up for sale so would not expect any of this to be upgraded. The receptionist had a very impassive style, which initally I found difficult but I need to commend her on her handling of my billing issue. I was adament I had prepaid before I went (due to booking via an external website). As it transpired, I had not and she allowed me to check my email, bank statements etc. She commented this happens all the time. I thought this situation was well handled and she remained calm when dealing with an awkward customer issue so that was appreciated. Would consider again but may try somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Heritage9, General Manager at Tropical Heritage Cairns, responded to this review, May 20, 2010
Thank you for your review it provides us with excellent feedback. We also regularly feel embarrassed about the rating our guests give us through trip advisor. Given others hotels in the top ten in Cairns are 4-Star or better. Sorry about the shower height we are progressively amending these.

Yes the hotel was for sale when you visited and has now been sold. We believe the new owners who take over in July 2010 will offer similar if not better service than we have. The hotel was built in 2002 and the furnishings were architect designed to reflect the hotel name “Heritage”. We frequently have guests comment on this; it seems to be a love or hate relationship. Hope you will try the Heritage again.
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Heritage Cairns for four nights during an 18-day Australia/New Zealand vacation. Out of the six hotels that we stayed at during our trip, our experience at the Heritage Cairns was, by far, the worst.

I'll start with the few good aspects of this hotel:
1) Location: It is a mere five minute walk from the cafes and bars that line the Esplanade
2) Noise: It is in a very quiet area

Now, onto the bad aspects:
The family that owns and runs this hotel tried to rip us (and other guests) off left and right so that they could make their commission from the various tour operators.

When we first arrived, I asked the husband/hotel owner, who was manning the check-in desk, what time the tour offices that lined the esplanade closed. He immediately offered to book all of our tours for us, but I told him that I would prefer to book at a tour office along the esplanade since I had read that those offices offered the lowest tour rates. He responded with -- and I quote -- "that's bull****, complete bull****. Every place offers the same exact published rate." So, we believed him, and said that we would just book with him.

He then proceeded to push one particular reef cruise on us, "Reef Experience," saying that it was the best. Having done my research ahead of time, I told him that we were more interested in Sunlovers or Reefmagic, as they offered more activities for non-swimmers (such as an underwater observatory, etc). He continued insisting that Reef Experience was the best. His wife and daughter then came out from the back room and joined in by insisting that we would not have a good time on any other reef cruise. We said that we would think about it and went up to our room. We came down ten minutes later and told the wife/hotel owner, who was then manning the reception desk, that we had decided on Sunlovers. She said, with attitude, that she would book it for us, but muttered "oh I dislike this company, as I think they once tried to keep a deposit from us." She said the cruise would cost $180 and we could pay for it on arrival to the cruise terminal. So we left and hit up a cafe on the esplanade.

While on the esplanade, we decided to stop into a tour office, just to see if the husband/hotel owner had been correct in telling us that all tour offices offered the same exact rates. We were astounded, however, when the tour office offered us the SAME EXACT Sunlovers Cruise package for $100 less! So we immediately called our hotel and told them to CANCEL the Sunlovers cruise they had just booked for us because we had found it for cheaper along the esplanade. The wife/hotel owner then asked us which tour office we were at because she wanted to report them to Sunlovers for stealing business from her!!! We were so disgusted, especially since her husband had explicitly told us that we would NOT be able to get a cheaper rate by booking at a tour office along the esplanade!!!!

We obviously did not book anything else with the hotel owners. However, while waiting by the reception desk for our airport shuttle, we overheard the owners trying to push, very insistently, their "tour recommendations" on almost every guest. When one guest inquired about getting an immediate shuttle to the airport, the daughter/hotel owner didn't even mentioned the shuttle company that was picking us up, Sun Palm Express! Instead, she said that there was only one reputable shuttle company and it didn't pick up for another hour! Further, we looked up at a flyer for the shuttle company that she recommended, and that company charged about double what our shuttle company charged!

So, the bottom line is, if you book at this hotel, do not book ANYTHING with the hotel owners/staff!!!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Heritage9, General Manager at Tropical Heritage Cairns, responded to this review, May 18, 2010
We recall these gentlemen as they enquired about discounted tour prices as soon as they arrived. We recall showing them a variety of tour brochures including Sunlover, Reef Magic and Reef Experience & explained the prices shown were the same irrespective of the booking agent. We recommended Reef Experience as the best value for money day reef tour in Cairns as it had no extras; it is a total package for $165 p.p. including taxes pick-up, breakfast & lunch.

At their request we booked them on a Sunlover Cruise for $180 p.p. Later one of these gentlemen phoned to say they had found the Sunlover tour for $130 p.p. We have since enquired with Sunlover Cruises and are advised that $130 is a Concession Rate for Students/Backpackers holding a Concession Entitlement. We are further advised that Concession Entitlements are available for $43 each plus $6 postage/handling for guests who have pre-booked and stayed at selected Backpacker hostels. Heritage Cairns is not a Backpacker hostel. We are also advised that the cards are non transferrable, have a limited life span & are not intended as a giveaway.

We provide the following general information for all guests who may be considering a Shuttle Service to Heritage Cairns. Sun Palm Express picks up from our hotel at ten minutes past the hour every hour for most of the day/night. The cost is identical to FNQ Airport Shuttle who pick up every 30 minutes on the hour & half hour. Sun Palm guarantees delivery of a guest to the airport within 40-minutes of pick up. FNQ Airport Shuttle guarantees delivery to the airport within 20 minutes of pick up. We recommend FNQ for airport returns based on its service level; we recommend Sun Palm for airport arrivals as it has a “Help Desk” at the airport and a regular city “Drop Off” services.

We are an honest local family operating a business in a volatile international tourism market. We try to provide the best service and recommendations to our guests. We do not criticise any tour operator as most are reputable and honest. The internet is a fantastic resource for International & Domestic travellers alike for research. We in North Queensland Australia value all visitors & their feedback. Our tour desk is provided as a guest service, we have little financial reliance on it and we encourage all visitors to check tour prices and book wherever they choose.
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2010

Hi Myslef and two friend stayed in the Hertiage for 4 Nights, we where only due to stay for 2 but we loved it so much we extened our stay, The rooms are really nice and comfortable and all our needs where met buy the staff Thanks Stuart and Ann. A really friendly atmosphere and I would defo recommend to my friends and family. Also a short walk to the city centre and a stones throw away from the Esplande, It was brill.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2010

We stayed 2 + 2 nights in this hotel and appreciated very much the flexibility (twice change of booking), the kind atmosphere, the efficient handling of our wishes and the very clean rooms. The owner even upgraded us the last night to a room with spa which we really enjoyed. Would return any time when staying in Cairns again

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2010

We have been so lucky with finding this place. Our trip to Australia has so far been quite amazing. This hotel was similar to our hotel in Sydney. Again the staff (family) family were wonderful. They gave us all the help and information we needed to have a great time. They arranged some great trips out to reef. The rooms was comfortable and very clean. Truly and enjoyable stay.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

The Heritage Cairns is a great value with nice sized, very clean and quiet rooms, close to all amenities. But the real treat staying here is the friendly, helpful attitude of anyone working here. We booked all of our excursions and trips through the front desk and all the advice and suggestions were just what we were looking for from restaurants to our Great Barrier Reef trip. They really made the most of our time in Cairns with their great suggestion. This was a highlight of our month long trip in Australia. After just speaking with the front desk once, they greeted us every time we came by the desk. They were genuinely interested in how our plans and activities were going and ensuring that their suggestions had worked well for us. They seemed to have a great rapport with all of the leisure activity organizations in the area and went our of thier way to make our stay enjoyable.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Tropical Heritage Cairns? Share your experiences!