Stayed at Gilligans at the end of a month's trip up the East Coast.
Chose Gilligans because a lot of friends had recommended it to me. Its basically the same as a hotel! Much less hostelly than anywhere I stayed during my trip.
I checked in fairly late and reception were quick and efficient (although slightly rude). The place is absolutely huge and I got a bit lost looking for my room! There are big kitchen areas, internet areas with seven/eight computers each and TV areas with sofas and big flat screens scattered all over. I chose to stay in a 4 person dorm as a treat and it was definitely worth it. I met a girl who was staying in an 8 person dorm which was still nice but had much less room etc.
I had a single (non-bunk!!!) really comfy bed and a massive lockable locker to put all my stuff in. There was a huge balcony with a table and chairs and a really nice en suite shower and separate toilet - all very clean and modern.
The bar in the hostel is huge and reminded me a bit of a student union - really modern and it seems that quite a lot of the locals head down there especially at the weekend. I had a couple of really good nights - there's also a good happy hour! The pool's nice although there's not too much room to lay out and it does get very crowded.
All in all - great stay. pretty impersonal compared to other hostels but really nice way to round off my trip!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Gilligan's is the ultimate experience in accommodation and entertainment set in the heart of Cairns. Offering guests stylish backpacker accommodation, nightly entertainment and a relaxed atmosphere whilst soaking up the sun, why choose to stay anywhere else?All room types are fully equipped with full en-suite bathroom, air-conditioning and four floors of communal areas. Or perhaps try our deluxe dormitories; designed to offer that little bit extra. Available in 4 and 6 bed configurations, these rooms offer TVs, refrigerators and some have a private balcony to kick back and relax after a long day at the reef, rainforest or even a lazy day by our pool.Free linen, Free car parking, Free crockery use in kitchens, VIP prices for in house guests, Half price to our international DJ eventsand so much more ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, HostelBookers, Travelocity, HostelWorld, Agoda, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Gilligans Backpackers Hotel & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gilligans Backpackers Hotel Cairns
- Gilligans Backpackers Hotel And Resort