“Great Great Great” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Buffet
Melbourne, Australia
“Great Great Great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Food at CHB (Rydges) included the buffet breakfasts were very good, pasta lunch on friday was excellent and good idea, you choose your own ingredients then watch the chef cook it in front of you. The fire and ice dinner buffet that we all attended self, wife & 3 yo daughter) on Monday night was terrific also. The front of house and chefs were fantastic, professional, friendly and made us feel so welcome each visit. (even with an occasionally temperamental young girl) Only one exception was young male head waiter at fire and ice, he was rude to us and an adjacent table of international visitors. This was the only lowlight of a terrific family getaway.

Visited October 2013

60% Recommend
Gladstone, Australia
“Great Dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Brilliant menu scrumptious the whole family enjoyed our night out.
Staff took great care of us. Dessert trolley is a must for all !!!

Visited October 2013
Brisbane, Australia
“Abandoned in the restaurant”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

1st night at the hotel, decided to head to the restaurant. After being asked if I had a reservation I waited couple of minutes for a table to be cleared. All good was rushed to the table and a menu thrown on the table no explanation of the buffet of drinks order taken. I sat.... Sat... Sat... And waited for someone to take an order in the end I got up to help myself after watching what people were doing at the cook station... I sat down, had my food, and still no one approached me. I had to approach a staff member for a drink. This came out 10 minutes later.

I sat watching and was forgiving in the staff as they seem rushed, however watched several other customers come in and had the buffet explained, drinks orders taken on several tables... After a while I left my table with three plate... Dessert bowl wine glass and coffee cup and the original menu given to me in shear disgust that no interaction was offered to me whatsoever...

Forgive me when I say I don't expect red carpet treatment and full on conversations and some of you may say this is a buffet but when your expected to pay premium prices for it I at least expect some interaction at least to say would you like he buffet or a la carte..

The breakfast was none the better although the host was extremely helpful and courteous...

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dalby, Australia
“A' La Carte appalling”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I've stayed at the Rydges Esplanade for a week and have enjoyed the Fire and Ice Buffett, and decided to try the A' La Carte menu on Wednesday night with a very good friend of mine here in Cairns, all was going well and the meal started off fantastic with excellent restaurant staff, however when the mains came out of which I had ordered the chicken it all turned out horrible, I found my chicken pink and under cook also the was a slight taste of chicken blood in my mouth, which was confirmed by a little red juice in my plate, and as i cut closer to the bone the pinker it became. I informed the waitress Tracey of this and also informed Tony the lead waiter, however to my disgust the head chef Ben told the waitress to inform me that it was just a vein, with no apology or acknowledgement that there was an issue, clearly the meat was very pink and even had the restaurant staff who served our table acknowledge this. My friend who was dining with me also advised me no to consume the remainder of the chicken as he agreed this was under cooked. I was even more shocked when another waitress came over and said don't worry that chicken is cooked!!!! What kind of waitress tells a customer that!!! when clearly it was pointed out and shown to her, this kind of thing I would expect to happen in a back alley restaurant, even KFC would have taken some kind of responsibility. I am totally discussed that Ben would consider himself a head chef, maybe the hotel should re evaluate his position I'd go as far to say his position should be back to a 1st year apprentice, at least they have an excuse to make mistakes! My advise to readers is to avoid the A' La Carte menu especially if this head chef continues to be in this position, instead stick with the Buffett at least the chefs who cook on the grill here know what they are doing and seem more competent.
A big thank you to Tracy and Tony for at least caring and trying to fix the problem and I realise it can't be easy having Ben the so called "Head Chef" to get them to inform me that " It's not Raw it's just a vein"

I hope that the management of the hotel and food and beverage area take this review seriously and have this issue bought to Ben's attention and his actions of Wednesday night seriously delt with before someone ends up very ill.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Antonio B, Manager at CHB Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Hi Damien, Thank you for your review. It is a shame you were misguided by one of your friends who works on our team in the Restaurant. I am glad we got to talk and clear it all up.
Our chef is always more than happy to discuss any concerns with our valued customers…..he just has to know about them first.
He is part of the same team you speak so highly of at the beginning of the review.

Shannon Craig
“Gorgeous gorgeous food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

I stay at Rydges quite a bit in different cities and love the restaurants! This one is fire and ice Buffett; amazing food amazing service and such a positive and busy environment! Would go back again and again! Recommend to absolutely everyone, delicious; fresh and huge variety!!!!!! :D

• Visited August 2013