“Convenient but little else.” 2 of 5 stars

Great Northern Hotel
69 Abbott St, Cairns, Queensland 4870, Australia   |
Ranked #63 of 66 Hotels in Cairns
New Zealand
“Convenient but little else.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2010

The beds were incredibly uncomfortable, not that you'll be sleeping much anyway; the air conditioning makes one hell of a racket at night and that's not even when it's turned on in your room! Without it on, the rooms are stiflingly hot, which could in part be due to the lack of windows to allow movement of air. Maybe if there was fresh air (as fresh as it gets in Cairns, anyway), there mightn't be as many cockroaches or other gremlins. Though I'm sure they're not drawn by the stale air so much as the filthy, disgusting state of the room as a whole. It was so bad I went and purchased my own paper/plastic cutlery from the supermarket a couple of doors down. The one knife I did use (I had the choice of two butter knives - no other utensils) I made sure I washed under very hot water and wiped clean with a towel to rid it of whatever that sticky residue was that was on it. I then kept it in the fridge where I figured it'd be safe from those creepy crawlies that look like light coloured ants but are about half the size. I didn't risk using the two glasses that were put in the fridge to keep them cool (?) though I did marvel at how the freezer box was so filled with frost it had frozen the icecube tray in place - top and bottom - which seemed to be a pretty good summation of the care taken in the upkeep of the room/s.

I do have to give credit where credit's due though, the place is awfully convenient. Unlike the wifi. Wifi is not available in the rooms, only in the main reception/restaurant (if you'd call it that) area. To get internet time ($5/hour), you need to ask the unhelpful people at the front desk.

So, poor service and the general cleanliness leaves a lot to be desired but it's a really convenient location if you want to be close to everything.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Gold Coast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2009

I stayed here for two nights while on business. I found the staircase a bit daunting dragging a suitcase up it but the man on the reception counter was quite friendly and willingly answered any questions I had. My room was very roomy and clean. However no view really. The air-con was already on - which was a nice relief from the outside heat. The next morning on my way to the office the reception staff wished me a good day. And when I returned to my room the next evening my room was made up perfectly during the day and the air-con on again waiting to cool me down. I didnt dine in their hotel so cant comment on that but when i would walk past it, it was always well presented.
If you are looking for a cheap hotel that is clean and roomy - this is for you!

Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
Lausanne, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2008

I have stayed there for several nights while on business in Cairns. Then I went for a liveaboard diving trip and planned to come back for a night. When I've seen how it was I considered cancelling but was too lazy.
What can I say other they were so incredibly unhelpful and rude, and I'm not fussy. The details are too long and complicated but storing my luggage for a day resulted in great problems, they claimed they couldn't find it. Not that anyone wanted to steal it, they just couldn't be bothered.
In the end it was so bad, that finally I didn't stay there my final night.
The room, while fairly large (for the price), was quite run down and smelled. The promised wireless didn't work in my room, actually it seemed to work only very close to reception.
As I said the only good thign about the hotel is its location, and bad - everything else you see when you get there.

• Liked — Only location
  • Disliked — Staff&Service
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Barcelona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2008

At the beginning I thought it would be a good and basic hotel, but it was not. The best thing is the location (very central), but the are very unkind. They did not make our room the last day (no towels, no shampoo no soap). We had breakfast included but it was not as they say (very poor breakfast). Indeed we had internet included but they told us that we had to pay for it (6 dls one hour). I made a complaint to wootif.com and they refund us part of the money because of this.

In sum I do not recomend this hotel but I can say that wootif.com is a serious website to book (they are concerned about costumers).

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — staff, service
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Townsville, Qld
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2008

I booked a room online and requested and early check in. Nobody got back to me, in hind sight i should have called to check.

We arrived at the hotel and there was absolutely no way this man was going to let us check in early. Even though there was a vacancy sign up and we did have a booking for later on in the day, he kept telling me that "it is not today yet" and that "this is how it is in Australia"

if "today" was not "today" yet, because it wasn't 2 o clock, that means that it is still "yesterday" but there was only 6 hours left of this so called "yesterday" and he just couldn't let us in.

So we had to wander around Cairns for 6 hours until 2pm. We left our gear in the car, but what if we had flown in and the plane had just landed? Would we have had to lug all that around with us while we waited for it to become "today"??

Also, the free breakfast cost $7.50.

We won't stay there again. Gonna check out Hides Hotel next time.

• Liked — the room was big.
  • Disliked — the owners we unhelpful
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2007

We choose this hotel as it was very well priced for a hotel at $85 per night and we were able to negotiate a discount for staying more nights. the accomodation was roomy and quiet and they showed different fils each night in the rooms. Their was also a washing machine and dryer available for use, which only cost a few dollars. The location of the hotel is excellent, about 2 minutes stroll to the lagoon and restaurants and bars. The staff are also very friendly and there is e-mail and internet available for a small cost.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cambridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2007

I only stayed here one night, so won't write a detailed review, but was generally very happy with my stay.

I had booked originally to stay at the Golden Sands out at Yorkey's Knob, which offered very pleasant self-contained apartments not far from a splendid beach, but the bus from there ran about once an hour, and took abut 45 mins to get into Cairns. I was in Cairns chiefly for a couple of days' diving, and wanted something within easier striking distance of restaurants and shops. The dive centre suggested the Great Northern.

I had a 'superior' room - I think that was the name - I paid $105 for the night. For this you get a clean, spacious room with a decent, roomy bathroom.

You don't get a view and you don't get a beach, so if that's important to you, this isn't the place to stay. But you are right in the centre of town, a couple of blocks from the main dive centres, surrounded by shops and restaurants, and a short walk from the Esplinade.

It was just what I needed.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Great Northern Hotel? Share your experiences!