“There are better choices” 2 of 5 stars

Great Northern Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   69 Abbott St, Cairns, Queensland 4870, Australia   |
Ranked #65 of 67 Hotels in Cairns
Nagoya, Japan
“There are better choices”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I booked this hotel prior to reading the reviews. When I did read the reviews, it was already late. This is more like an apartment than a hotel. I stayed in room 116, there were some Chinese living in the room infront of my room. I came to know that many of them are staying there as tenants.
The room was very dirty, esp. floor. The internet didn't work for the first 3 days. I complained to the staff many times but they were helpless. The room was cleaned only once in the 7 days I stayed there. No change of towel and bed sheet. I believe the room-cleaner doesn't have a vacuum cleaner or else the room would have been better. The most disgusting of all was the bathroom. The sink was pretty much useless, water would get stuck. The toilet pan was filthy and old. The staff was friendly and helpful, but the owner seems to care about nothing. You can stay at better places with the amount of money you will pay here. I strongly recommend to stay somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Thursday Island, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I have always enjoyed staying at this motel, because it is close to everything. The previous owner kept that place clean and made it comfortable, this is going back 1999 to 2006.
My experience at the hotel was appalling and I will never stay in that hotel again and I would highly recommend that to anyone looking for a cheap place to stay.
I was put in 3 different room, first room air con doesn't work, second room light doesn't have a bulb in it and third was the worst of all, door to balcony doesn't lock properly, air con has towel around to either stop it leaking or fall out of the wall and the frame keep falling out of the air con. Also, the TV doesn't work in the room.
I encourage other guests to look somewhere else to stay, it doesn't worth it, the location is excellent, just not the motel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Gold Coast
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

The location of the hotel is fantastic as it is in the city centre so a quick walk to the Casino, Esplanade etc. However the room itself was dirty; there were creepy crawlies on the walls and carpet, the table didn't appear to have been moved when vacuuming as there was piles of dust and hair in behind the table legs and the bathroom needed a good scrub with heavy duty bleach. The manager, whom I saw earlier in the day cleaning recently vacated rooms, had to be called to get the small fridge and tv to work.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We staying at the hotel for 3 weeks total, the last week of the stay, there was no hot water at all for entire week! Staffs were not informative at all, everyday i had to go and ask if there's gonna be hot water, and they seems like they don't care at all.

Finally i asked for compensation because one week without hot water is not acceptable, and staff does not respond at all, they show little care about guests' comfort and did not want to take care any problem.

Please do not consider this hotel, The location is great but it's not cheaper and it's not better serviced.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Mallorca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I had been in this hotel many times a few years ago. Right in the middle of Cairns tourist area.
Small door and stairs but NOW thereis an elevator !
Rooms ar medium size, bed good, simple complete bathroom with shower.
Smallish TV, Hot water machine for offee or tea.
Seems to be run by Chinese. There is an area by front desk with kitchen gear,,you can cook your food, Supermaket 30 yards away with all the food in the world.internet shops and any tourist gear shop around.20 yards from entrance there is a 2 levels mall with Sushi, Korean and anything else you want to eat, I am glad I came back

Room Tip: Rooms at end of corridor are next to washing/dryer can be used until 9pm My room was at end 214, I...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2010

The beds were incredibly uncomfortable, not that you'll be sleeping much anyway; the air conditioning makes one hell of a racket at night and that's not even when it's turned on in your room! Without it on, the rooms are stiflingly hot, which could in part be due to the lack of windows to allow movement of air. Maybe if there was fresh air (as fresh as it gets in Cairns, anyway), there mightn't be as many cockroaches or other gremlins. Though I'm sure they're not drawn by the stale air so much as the filthy, disgusting state of the room as a whole. It was so bad I went and purchased my own paper/plastic cutlery from the supermarket a couple of doors down. The one knife I did use (I had the choice of two butter knives - no other utensils) I made sure I washed under very hot water and wiped clean with a towel to rid it of whatever that sticky residue was that was on it. I then kept it in the fridge where I figured it'd be safe from those creepy crawlies that look like light coloured ants but are about half the size. I didn't risk using the two glasses that were put in the fridge to keep them cool (?) though I did marvel at how the freezer box was so filled with frost it had frozen the icecube tray in place - top and bottom - which seemed to be a pretty good summation of the care taken in the upkeep of the room/s.

I do have to give credit where credit's due though, the place is awfully convenient. Unlike the wifi. Wifi is not available in the rooms, only in the main reception/restaurant (if you'd call it that) area. To get internet time ($5/hour), you need to ask the unhelpful people at the front desk.

So, poor service and the general cleanliness leaves a lot to be desired but it's a really convenient location if you want to be close to everything.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Gold Coast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2009

I stayed here for two nights while on business. I found the staircase a bit daunting dragging a suitcase up it but the man on the reception counter was quite friendly and willingly answered any questions I had. My room was very roomy and clean. However no view really. The air-con was already on - which was a nice relief from the outside heat. The next morning on my way to the office the reception staff wished me a good day. And when I returned to my room the next evening my room was made up perfectly during the day and the air-con on again waiting to cool me down. I didnt dine in their hotel so cant comment on that but when i would walk past it, it was always well presented.
If you are looking for a cheap hotel that is clean and roomy - this is for you!

Stayed December 2007, traveled on business