“A great, cheap hostel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 84 Specialty Lodging in Cairns
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“A great, cheap hostel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2008

Having heard many horror stories from friends, I have avoided staying in hostels despite my many travels. But on my most recent trip to Australia, I wanted to save some money so I did some research and found the Cairns Girls Hostel. Since I was only going to be staying there for a few nights, I figured I'd give it a try. I am so glad that I did, because the Cairns Girls Hostel was fantastic! It was immaculate, with two well-equipped kitchens, many bathrooms, spacious living areas with TVs, and a fantastic staff that know how to book whatever tour or trip you could possibly want. There are also laundry facilities as well as coin-operated internet access. I certainly have no problem with co-ed situations, and having nothing else to compare my hostel experience to (except for college, I suppose), I can't really say whether or not the peace and quiet and cleanliness can be attributed to the girls-only policy but I didn't hear any of the early morning boozy noise I expected. I stayed in a double room, with two twin beds, A/C, a ceiling fan, and a dresser. For 24.00, it was a great value. I would definitely recommend the Cairns Girls Hostel to my friends and family.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Couples
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
San Mateo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2008

I stayed at Cairns Girls Hostel for a total of six nights, 4 before my dive trip and 2 after. I was in a six person dorm, both times in room #1.

This hostel is for girls only, so I was kinda expecting it to be noisy. But, it wasn't. It is in a two-story building and has two kitchens and two bathrooms upstairs and one of each downstairs. It also has a laundry room and two TV lounges.

The kitchens were well supplied with dishes and storage for food, and the entire place was very clean. You can borrow movies from the front desk, and several girls would watch movies/TV each evening.

My room had six single beds, but most of the others I saw had bunks. Everyone was friendly, especially the owner, Dawn, and her family (who also live on the property). Sheets and a pillow were provided. Access to the building and room were by key.

The location of the hostel is excellent, only a 5 minute walk to the Espanande, the major shopping center, and the bus terminal. It's very central to the tourist area.

The only downside to this hostel was the lack of air conditioning. The ceiling fans were helpful, but it was still hot in the middle of summer!

• Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
SYDNEY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2007

First when I called the owner for booking, the husband wasn't urban at all, pretty unpleasant (when you are an hostel owner, is it not the worst to be unpleasant with your customs??). He refused to book for me and a friend of mine because we arrived too late -what I can understand, even it was not safe to let two young girls without accommodation at a quite late time in the night.
We finally arrived the day after, we slept in a room behind the checkpoint, it was actually in the owner house. It was a bad time, the owner and her husband are really noisy, their son is always there, quite strange, we didn't feel comfortable at all. It seems to be a jail more than a hostel. They are not good hosts.
The price of the room and the luggage storage changed according to your face... 30 girls are living there, one bathroom is in the corridor, the room door doesn't close...
I don't recommend at all this hostel, the owner make money with young girls (most of them are Asian young girls who will never sy something) who don't realize how packed in bad conditions they sleep.
The owner are not friendly, everything is only for money. It is a shame to profit student girls like that.
Please don't ever go there.

Stayed August 2007
North Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2006

This was great value for money and is located in a good area, only a few minutes walk to the city centre but in a peaceful area. The owner Dawn is lovely and couldn't do enough to make our stay comfortable (she even upgraded us to a private room). The place is very clean as Dawn seems to spend every hour of the day cleaning it!

It has three kitchens, which all have ovens (very rare in alot of hostels in Oz). Only has three or four shared bathrooms but you never have to wait that long for one. Also has laundry and internet facilities. Small garden to the rear but you are only a 5 minute walk away from the Lagoon (large pool area).

I would recommend booking any trips you want to do in the area at the hostel as they offer the best rates around. A brilliant trip to do is the full day white water rafting trip on the Tully River.

• Liked — Its homeliness
  • Disliked — Lack of outdoor space
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for meal vouchers for local bars at reception
  • Stayed March 2006, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2006

This place is fine if you're on a real budget and want somewhere a bit low-key as opposed to the more 'party' hostels in the centre of the town. I was feeling a little blue and homesick while I was in Cairns and this place had quite a nurturing feel to it and the owner was really friendly. However, I had the same complaints as the previous reviewer in that the walls that seperated the bedrooms from the common rooms were mere thin partition walls and so it could get pretty noisey at times when the tv was left on and with people coming and going. As I mentioned however, as this wasn't a 'party' hostel the noise was never that bad. There was a distinct lack of showering facilities, toilets, mirrors, and power points, though the facilities they did have were fine and always clean. The beds were pretty uncomfortable too and the rooms a little cramped, but hey, this is one of the cheapest hostels in town so you can't expect luxury.
All in all, this is a nice, clean and friendly hostel and is always pretty much fully-booked so it's obviously got a lot going for it and is very popular.

• Stayed May 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2004

I did not like staying here. I do not recommend staying here unless your budget requires the cheapest accommodation in Cairns and you are willing to put up with the noise and waiting for a bathroom.
This is a women-only hostel. There are dorm rooms and twin rooms. All rooms have shared bathrooms.
There are actually two buildings in the Cairns Girls Hostel. One building has the office and the other building is the main part of the hostel, with rooms, restrooms, kitchens, etc. In my opinion there are not enough kitchens and not enough bathrooms relative to the number of women staying here. The building with the office is also the residence of the owner and her family. There are guest rooms in the owner's residence and we (myself and my friend) had one of these rooms. The room was almost directly behind the office, and in a hallway next to her living room. Our room was not quiet because we could hear the owner's TV, her grandson running around, and her and her husband yelling back and forth to each other from opposite ends of the hallway. Although I did not stay in the rooms in the other building, I suspect some of those rooms are not quiet either. There are several rooms next to the main TV lounge, which was usually noisy because the TV was on. One of the rooms next to the TV lounge had walls that did not reach all the way to the ceiling, so the noise could come over the walls. Another room had a door in the kitchen, which was also usually noisy. This hostel was not a secure place to stay--my room did not have a lock on the door! At night the office door was closed but not locked, so anyone staying in the hostel could walk right into my room. The biggest drawback of this hostel is that in the room we stayed in, my friend raised her arms above her head to change her shirt and discovered that the ceiling fan was too low when the ceiling fan ripped into her fingers. The ceiling fan was on at the time and it cut large craters into her fingers. She is 5 feet 11 inches and I'm 5 feet 8.5 inches and we both could stand with our feet flat on the floor and touch the ceiling fan by lifting our arms above our heads. There is cheap internet on site, though you have to prepay for a full hour with no refunds. There is a washing machine and clothesline. There are dryers in the laundromat next door. There are 3 kitchens and 3 bathrooms. Some of the rooms have bunk beds. There is a cat living here that stays mostly in the yard and occasionally comes into the ground floor, so people allergic to cats should avoid these areas of the hostel.

Been to Cairns Girls Hostel? Share your experiences!