“Exactly what you expect” 4 of 5 stars

You added Cairns Central YHA Backpackers Hostel to your Saves list
Cairns Central YHA Backpackers Hostel
20 - 26 McLeod St, Cairns, Queensland 4870, Australia   |
Ranked #37 of 83 Specialty lodging in Cairns
“Exactly what you expect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This is exactly what you come to expect of staying at YHA. The staff were friendly and helpful and the rooms and facilities were clean. It is reasonably well located and has a good atmosphere. Didn't really exceed expectations at all however and hence 4 stars.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

127 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Torquay, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

My partner and I booked two nights here, but once we checked in we tried to get a refund for our second night.

It's very dirty, our duvet was vile - I wouldn't even let my dog sleep in it. The kitchen was very bare and extremely dirty, wifi costs money and is EXTREMELY slow (couldn't even Skype), was EXTREMELY noisy at night, staff weren't very helpful or friendly (excluding small Asian lady, she was friendly) I couldn't go on.

The only positive was the shower - that was good.

Wouldn't go near his place if I were you.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
YHA_Hostels, Manager at Cairns Central YHA Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Dear Ash,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at Cairns Central YHA. We are incredibly disappointed to read of your negative experience and have immediately raised these issues with our team.

We do of course strive to exceed our guests expectations- whether this be regarding the cleanliness of our hostel or the efficiency and friendliness of our guest service; and I apologise that we failed to deliver this to you this time. We have strict procedures regarding the cleaning of both our communal areas and our guest rooms, and I have just now reiterated these to our Housekeeping team. The management team and I have now personally checked each room to ensure that these standards are being met.

Once again, I do apologise for the issues you experienced during your stay with us. I hope that you allow us an opportunity to welcome you to our hostel again, so we can show you that your experience is not reflective of the standard of service we usually provide at Cairns Central YHA.
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

Personally I loved this place and would have stayed way longer! The staff is very friendly and extremely helpful probably one of the best I've been at! The location is quite good! You are right next to a supermarket so if you need to buy food or get anything done (mobile phone or whatever). Rooms were clean, people were friendly. 15 minute walk from the harbor which I found was worth it.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

The staff were very helpful and polite. Breakfast was included and kitchen was well stocked. Bathrooms were clean and gender segregated. Stayed in a private room that was bare and basic but clean. Security met my standards and I felt safe. Location could be better. Is right across from mall but 10-15 min walk from water front.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Red Deer, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Had a wonderful time, met some very nice people. We had our own room, found it very quiet after hours to get some much needed rest. Good location near services. All kinds of trip advice, thank you to your staff.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Cairns, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Stayed here for one night only. Staff were unfriendly and couldn't even look up from their computers. Internet was a minimum of $4 for an hour which sounds fine except you need nearly the whole hour just to get access as the speed is soooo slow. The kitchen was open and the sparrows were flying in and out and sitting on the bench tops - I may as well have camped in a tent. Rooms were small and airless and it felt more like a detention centre than a hostel. Way better options in Cairns. Stay away unless you're desperate!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
AnoukVDV, Manager at Cairns Central YHA Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, May 11, 2014
Dear Barry,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am of course sincerely disappointed to hear of your negative experience and am taking immediate action to address the issues you have listed.

I have logged your complaint regarding the speed of our guest internet with our provider and they will be investigating this concern as priority. I have also spoken to my team regarding the importance of providing exemplary customer service at all times; we are more than happy to assist in any way we can, but I do apologise if our systems were unable to look up the information you required during your night with us.

Our open style kitchen is mostly enjoyed by our guests, but I have taken on board your concerns and we are looking at measures to improve this moving forward. We are also in the process of updating all our rooms to give them additional facilities with a modern feel.

Once again, I do apologise that the service you received was not indicative of the usual standard of service we strive to provide here at Cairns Central YHA.

Kind Regards,

Courtney
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

Very clean bathrooms with good showers. Very good kitchen which is well-equipped, although a little small. Dorms are very clean with comfortable beds, lockers and efficient air con. Brilliant pool. Free pancakes for breakfast every morning. Shuttle service to the airport for $14pp. Good staff particularly cleaning staff who do a superb job.

Stayed April 2014

Been to Cairns Central YHA Backpackers Hostel? Share your experiences!