“Awful Place” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 83 Specialty lodging in Cairns
NYC
“Awful Place”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2007

At first I was happy to have arrived, but after a full day of traveling the main desk clerk would not leave us alone and give us the room keys. She just kept on talking and hounding us like crazy. I was traveling with a group of 4 friends. We had a room right next to the reception desk and every morning starting at 7 am we would be awakened by the loud and obnoxious receptionist. We could not close the windows because some were broken (the glass) and were missing pieces. The bathroom had a weird faucet that was hard to operate. I found a bunch of other broken/missing items that should have been fixed/replaced around the hotel. We made the mistake of booking a car from the hotel. We ended up paying at least double what the car rental was worth. DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE! The "clerk from hell" charged as a $20/day commission. Can you believe it? and when we found out about this, she would not cancel bc. she told us that this would require a hefty cancellation fee (which she did not tell us about). The young people who live in the hotel and help/work there seem to be like slaves of the receptionists and the owner. It's an awful atmosphere. DO NOT STAY HERE!!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

322 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Brooklyn, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2007

The hostel is overall okay, but what makes it horrible is the main woman at the front desk, i forget her name now.

First about the hostel:

Overall the rooms are clean and decent. The back area is very nice with some hammocks.
The place is somewhat out of town and it can be a pain getting there and back.
The free meal is completely worthless, the food is just horrible.

I stayed at the hostel for 3 nights with 3 of my friends. The woman who runs the place made it a horrible experience. When we first arrived she wouldnt stop harassing us about tour booking, policies, etc. We just wanted to get to our room and unpack.
Throughout the stay she was constantly trying to sell us some tour or other.
She was also very inqusitive. She had to know what you were doing where and with whom at all times.

On one occasion we mentioned to her that there were no pillows in the room and she gave us an attitude telling us that they were there. After checking herself she complained to someone else behind our back that we stole them.

When my friend was washing a couple of dishes in the kitchen she yelled at him for running the water for a minute.

• Stayed April 2007
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Belfast
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2007

Stayed here for a few nights. It is not that near the centre, and a bit of a pain to walk, espeically in the baking hot Cairns weather. they put on free buses to and from town, but they arent always so regular. On one occasion I found myself stuck in the hostel and wanting to get to town, but with no bus for another 2 hours. I was just killing time, until the next bus service.
In addition, I found the staff superficially friendly but i quickly realised they just wanted to sell me trips. (Presumably they make commission on this). They didnt seem too pleased when I said I wanted to shop around. After looking elsewhere the next day, I found the same trips for sale at cheaper prices.

Customers beware the smiling faces!

• Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2006

I really enjoyed my stay here and it made a pleasant change to be in a genuinely clean and spacious hostel. On the whole the staff were great and the free buses to town and back were very useful as the hostel is not centrally based. I was doing an intensive dive course whilst I was there and found it quiet enough to study and get some rest.

The only negative I found was that on leaving the staff became quite anxious to get us out of the room, even walking in on my boyfriend and I whilst getting changed (before check out time) without knocking to see if we were packing up. I found this a bit odd and was quite shocked that the staff member, who had been very friendly, suddenly became abrupt and unapologetic on storming into our room. I also found the staff had a change of face because we were leaving, the receptionist who seemed like she would do anything for you before would not even let us use the phone to call a local number for a taxi to the airport. I would hope that the kindness the staff showed to begin with is genuine and we just caught them on a bad morning when we were leaving as we had really enjoyed our stay here and found it one of the best hostels we stayed in during our travels.

• Stayed December 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2005

Stayed here on a recommendation from my fellow traveller, and didn't regret it. The owners (and family) are extremely friendly and helpful, especially as we were suffering from jet-lag! The hostel is set in tropical gardens with accommodation in two renovated Queenslander houses, 20 minutes walk from central Cairns. Definately the backpackers of choice if you are staying in town. Try and be there for pizza and beer night! You'll even be treated to Irish dancing & jokes from the girls.

• Stayed November 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2004

Only stayed for 4 nights. Lovely Place. Lovely people. I really liked it. Its about 20 min walk to centre, but if your saving money, its an excuse to stay in (and maybe watch a video). It can also be a nice walk back from the centre when you come back drunk. If you are lazy Taxi's are about $7. You can also book your tours here. Tours will be the same price anywhere you go.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2004

Great place. Great people who are all well travelled including their 3 young kids and dog. This is the place to stay in Cairns when backpacking. Great Pool and nice and quiet with lots of interesting world travellers.

Been to Tropic Days Backpackers? Share your experiences!