“A little bit of Heaven in the Far North” 5 of 5 stars

Tropic Days Backpackers
26 - 28 Bunting St, Cairns, Queensland 4870 , Australia   |
Ranked #3 of 83 Specialty Lodging in Cairns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“A little bit of Heaven in the Far North”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

If you plan to come in Cairns, just stay some nights in this lovely place and will be hard to leave it! Talk with other guests, everybody will say this is the best hostel where they ever been (unbelievable but true!) Excellent staff and service, amazing places to visit around, waking up in the morning and meeting very nice people. Trust me, this is the LIFE..there's no other place...no other time. Thank you very much. Sonny

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
tropicdaysCairns, Owner at Tropic Days Backpackers, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Hi Sonny, Thanks for you review, we all enjoyed you as well...Take Care....Gabe

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

My partner and I have been backpacking through Australia for six weeks, and this is the last hostel we are staying in before flying to New Zealand. It is also the best place we have stayed in this beautiful country. It is the perfect size - not too big and therefore not crowded or impersonal, but not so small that you get bored or don't meet enough people. It is slightly out of town, which keeps it nice and peaceful, but they run a regular free shuttle bus there and back all day, or you can walk in about 10-15 mins. The staff are all warm, friendly and incredibly helpful, Marco on reception in particular went above and beyond trying to help us book onto a local tablelands tour, though unfortunately they were all full! Kitchens (there are two), bathrooms and toilets (there are loads!) and rooms are all perfectly clean and homely, although you do have to pay to use the aircon. We managed with the ceiling fan. To top it off, there is completely free wifi throughout the property which was very welcome and not common in Aussie hostels, and they laid on a load of free fresh baked bread for breakfast on our last morning. It is exactly what you want as a backpacker, and ticks all the boxes. Highly recommended.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
WOw ...Thanks...Marco and the other Staff will be so proud of your kind and Positive review, a lot of guest have said our Hostel reminds them of New Zealand's small Hostels, so I hope you find a few over there as well...take Care...Gabe
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

Stayed here for a week, met some really nice people and had a great time. Quite far out from the centre (makes it quieter than many of the central hostels) but frequent free shuttle bus makes it easy to get in and back up to 9pm. If you're there on a Monday you must sign up to the Aussie BBQ; tasty food and something different (especially if you're from the northern hemisphere)! Rooms, bathrooms and communal areas all clean and the free fresh bread in the mornings was very welcome. Also, free wifi is extremely useful and you're able to use the hostel's computers too if you want to skype home etc. Friendly staff, happy to help book tours and transfers for you, and I'd happily stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Thanks so much Rob, we are happy you enjoyed Tropic Days, and thanks for writing a review for us....Gabe
Vernon, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

My fiance and I stayed here for 4 nights, the staff was helpful and always nice (though I did see a staff member being rude to some people while checking in). We got to enjoy the Aussie BBQ and learn how to play a didgeridoo, which was awesome.

We stayed in a double room, which was large, with a nice bed and a mini fridge. The fan could have been a but more powerful, as it was, you really had no choice but to use the air conditioning if you wanted to get any sleep. 1$ for 3 hours, meaning you would wake up in the early hours of the morning sweating and have to put in more money if you wanted to cool down again. Kind of a cop out. We stayed in many lesser quality hostels which offered free air conditioning.

It was fairly clean apart from the bathrooms, the one in our area wasn't cleaned for the first 3 days we stayed at the hostel. On the fourth day it had been (A dead cockroach on the floor, that had been there the first 3 days, was gone). We also had to ask for the toilet paper to be restocked a few times. For most hostels we stayed in, bathroom cleanliness ranked pretty high on their to-do list. So I'm not sure exactly why ours was neglected.

Apart from that it was a great stay with people that made you feel at home, and a nice quiet atmosphere. I will definitely recommend this hostel to anyone I know of who wants to stay in Cairns!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
tropicdaysCairns, Owner at Tropic Days Backpackers, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Thank for you for taking some time to write a review, I am happy that you enjoyed yourself in Cairns and at Tropic Days. I have taken note of your concerns with your Bathroom, Our communal Bathrooms are Cleaned 4 times per day, as you were in a private area we do not check on them as thoroughly , however we will act on your concerns and have the Bathroom checked and cleaned on a daily basis, after 16 years this is the 1st time I have had this concern given to us, I appreciate you telling me. Thanks for recommending us on Trip Advisor..Gabe
Stockport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

We stayed on tropic days for nearly 2 weeks during our time in cairns. The staff were great easy to talk to very helpful in organising trips ect! Hostel itself had nice outside area with picnic benches to eat or hammocks to relax in. Also has a pool! Hostel is very clean we stayed in a double room which had safe under bed for valuables! Wasn't massive but more the did the job! Room has air con unit which costs 1 dollar for three hours which really cooled the room down very quickly on the hot nights! They also do an Aussie BBQ on at day night so you can try crocodile, emu, kangaroo which was good value at 12 dollars! The hostel is about a 20min walk from the town bit they have a free shuttle which take you and brings you back! Drops you off and picks you up outside woolworths ideal for bringing back heavy shopping! Has 2 kitchens so plenty of room for everyone to cook meals without getting in each others way, also a bbq outside. Free wifi, laundry facilities washer and dryer(3 dollars each) Would come back if we were ever in cairns again!

• Stayed February 2014
Almelo, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

This hostel is the same as Travellers Oasis. It small, cozy and friendly. The people are social. There is a nice meeting area outside with a clean pool and hammocks. The staff is nice and helpful.

I stayed in a dorm. The dorm is pretty big and under every bed is a locker. There is also a ceiling fan in the room and and AC (paid). The room is clean and outside the dorm is a small tv room/kitchenette with a fridge.

Shower and toilets are clean. Just like the kitchen. Everything is provided. Wifi works good and everywhere around the hostel.

What I disliked about this hostel that it was not quiet when I stayed there. After 10 PM it suppose to be quiet. But it was quiet after 2 AM. I don't care about 30 minutes. Not that people were yelling, but they were loud enough to hold me and my roommate out of our sleep. My roommate was especially complaining, because the evening before people were pretty loud outside the dorm (tv room/kitchenette). Also I disliked the location. There is not much around and it is away from the city centre. Although the hostel provides a shuttle servies at fixed times daily.

I

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Hi, Thanks for your review, I am sorry some of the guests were noisy and kept you awake, we do have staff on site, and everyone gets my Mobile number to call me for anything at anytime, I was not made aware of this disturbance, but we would of come straight over to sort it out. On a positive thanks for all the nice things you experienced with us...Thanks again..Gabe
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Quiet location - not massively sociable compared to other hostels I've been to - it's really a place for people who don't want to party every night but this is what we wanted

Nice big rooms with a fridge, tv and air con which was $1 for 3 hours. Always easy to get a good nights sleep, staff and guests are very thoughtful of each other at night.

Great staff - very chatty and always really friendly

Lounge areas are lovely with a big tv and loads of DVDs to watch for free

In the building of rooms 1-4 there are two bathrooms - one with a bath that could do with being replaced (but still seemed a clean room) and the other with a shower that drizzled if you didn't have the cold on full blast

20 min walk from centre (free buses from the hostel available)

Staff clean and close the kitchens over lunch time which we thought was a bit awkward/strange

Our kitchen only had kettle/toaster so we had to always go over to the other side to make any food - again bit awkward when it's raining!

Overall we loved this place (even with a couple of bits of constructive criticism) still a lovely place and really welcoming. The rooms are great and would say this is way above usual hostel standards

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Tropic Days Backpackers? Share your experiences!