“English, 69yrs old, female, lone traveller "going for it"” 5 of 5 stars

Gecko's Backpackers
187 Bunda St., Cairns, Queensland, Australia   |
Ranked #6 of 84 Specialty Lodging in Cairns
newcastle upon tyne
“English, 69yrs old, female, lone traveller "going for it"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I chose Gecko from the internet months before starting on my lone back packing trip. I knew that being in an 18 to 25 back packers hostel wasn't going to suit me. and therefore looked for a quieter just out of town,"home from home" and I WASN'T DISAPPOINTED As soon as I arrived I was offered a single room -- couldn't believe it !! I needed to find out about all the trips that I hoped to do and Peter was able to tell me what would be best, was so helpfull and booked the trips for me.
The hostel is very airy, open and clean. The free breakfast beside the pool so much what I needed. Everyone observed the request for quiet. Coming back each night, from a long days tour, hot shower and a stroll into town and then a peacefull nights sleep -- who could ask for more.
Had I not been on the way to Melbourne I would have stayed far longer and only hope that I can go back. Have recommended Gecko to all my friends who travel as I feel that Peter and Regina made a hugh difference to me as a lone mature traveller.

I kept a day book and on rereading it remember just how happy I was in Gecko

I have kept intouch with them and their daughter, Evon, and I think that that says it all.

Room Tip: Single room upstairs and a corner one, too! So many windows. Blue with while shutters. Morning sun a...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Geckoshostel, Owner at Gecko's Backpackers, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
Hello Sue. As you have experienced, we upgrade guests to rooms and help as much as possible. As you say, our place is very quiet and peaceful, perfect for resting. Our rule, of " no alchohol after 10pm" works very well here and " it is all within respect for other resting travellers and also looking after ourselfs" and again the "peacefulness of our place". The bird life/Doves,etc,what a bonus. We are very happy that you think of us now further into the future. May you and your family have a very merry christmas and all the very best for 2013. With kind regads Peter,yvonne,Regina and Geckos.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Geckos Backpackers is a really good place to stay in Cairns. The place is clean (kitchen and bathroom), the place is really peaceful and quiet, the rooms are confortable. There is a lovely garden and a swimming pool... And the couple in charge of the place is really nice, welcoming and helpful... They help you with your booking excursions and everything... And get you discounts! There are free meals and free breakfast... Perfect place to rest in Cairns!

• Stayed November 2012
Geckoshostel, Owner at Gecko's Backpackers, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Hello Aurel. Thankyou very much for your excellent review. Our guests mostly appreciate our calm,peaceful and very quiet atmosphere. I honestly can not thank you enough for your wonderful discription of the Geckos Heritage Estate. Yes free wifi internet 24 hours, free cereals with full cream milk for breakfast, free tea and coffee 24 hours and a free meal every night at the Gilligans World famous Backpackers / the most exciting and biggest night club in Cairns.We wish you all the best for the future, Peter and family.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Hi guys, we arrived in Cairns with the idea of staying for just a few days, but ended up living in Geckos for almost a month!

We arrived after a long road trip and in Geckos we found all that we needed. A relaxed place with a really familiar and cozy atmosphere. Peter, Gina and their little baby were very nice and helpful throughout our stay. They do their best to help their guests with whatever they need. The hostel is always clean, safe and less than 10 minutes walking to the heart of the city.
Internet is free and it works fast most of the time.
Definitely it is the best place in the city if you want to avoid the crowded and noisy hostels full of young backpackers only looking for party and alcohol. Simply amazing!

You will enjoy in Geckos for sure.

Thanks Peter and Gina, we will remember you as one of the best hostels we stayed in Australia!

Nuria and Giorgio.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Geckoshostel, Owner at Gecko's Backpackers, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Hello Nuria and Giorgio. We like to provide our place as relaxing as possible. People on Holidays need and deserve a good nights sleep. Geckos is world known for our guests just wanting to stay longer. Thanks so much for your kind words of discription of our place and facilities. It was really great that you stayed longer than you anticipated. Your tramendous reveiw is remarkable and is well appreciated. All the best and kind regards from Yvonne, Regina and Peter
Cairns, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

To start with the overall review: It was an absolutely amazing stay here! i planned to book for five days, in the end I stood for ten.
So now the details:
The friendlyness of the people was simply awesome. One of the first things I saw from the owner was how he allowed a guy without a computer use HIS OWN private desktop.
Not enough, whenever there was a double room not filled, or a single room unoccupied, the owners would give some guests a free room upgrade!
Also, there was plenty of free food; starting with corn flakes and wheat bricks. But there were also different ingredients for self-cooking; I found this very useful.
The hostel itself is located near the central train station, but i haven´t been annoyed by trains at the night time. Also the other travellers are very quite.
And there is the Shopping Centre directly over the street for your groceries.
If you prefer party nights, you only have to walk for five to ten minutes to get to the City Centre with its clubs.
The owners can help you with booking tours and will give you a discount.

Room Tip: You might try to get a room not facing the street; it´s not really noisy there, but if you are sensi...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Hey Korb, good on you mate. Thanks a lot eh. Your reveiw reveals the reality of the Geckos Backpackers place. We like to help people as much as we can. Our property is designed to suit quiet travellers needing rest and a calm atmosphere. Having a great sleep, walking and site seeing, or going on tours with great discounts, or just chilling out is our place. We enjoy to have a good time with you and guests. Take care and we wish you all the best for you, Peter and family.
Cairns, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

It's nice to live here . Regina gave us a lot of informations. It's a nice place to live here for people who want to work holiday, especially Taiwanese :) Internet is free, but little bit slow, especially at night. Regina is kind to us and help us get used to live here. I did have a good memory here :)

Room Tip: Internet is for free :)
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Geckoshostel, Owner at Gecko's Backpackers, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Hello Steven. Regina is excellent with people and is also an excellent mother. Our little baby girl Yvonne is a gift of life for us. Thankyou for your good memories of Geckos Backpackers and Family. The Internet is now made faster. See you again someday. With great thanks from Regina, Yvonne and Peter.
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I found this backpacker really good if you enjoy to rest peacefully. It's also located close to the station, so if you're coming in Cairns by train it's a nice not to have a far walk.

An other thing is that the commercial center is close too.

The manager can arrange you a lot of tours if you need to move around Cairns.

Note that the place is also really clean and safe to stay.

I enjoyed my stay there, and you will probably too.

Room Tip: Ask the manager
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Geckoshostel, Owner at Gecko's Backpackers, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Hello Mathieu. Clean and safe is our place. The manager always endevours to provide better room allocation when possible and ongoing refurbismments are always in progress as a priority at our historical place. Being close to the Cairns City facilities and attractions are a very big bonus here. And a big cheers to the Cairns City Council for there tramendous ongoing improvements in our region.Kind regards from the extended Geckos family.Peter Hoare.
melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Excellent Location with over few steps to Central station.
walking distance to the beach.
and the direct train which goes somewhere else the nature reserve.
over a solo traveling or with few people group
they do have valiety of rooms ready for you.
free breakfast in house and a meal at nearest location is a bonus.
I wish I could have time to use these vouchers.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Geckoshostel, Owner at Gecko's Backpackers, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Hello Larm. Thanks a lot for taking the time to write your review. Very much appreciated. With best regards Peter and family.

Been to Gecko's Backpackers? Share your experiences!