“Saw a cockroach...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 84 Specialty Lodging in Cairns
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Saw a cockroach...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

For the price its what you would expect. Clean beds, clean showers and friendly staff. Its not to far a walk from town but far enough that its not got the noise of the town and drunkards. The only down side was that there was only one toilet and shower between 1 six bed dorm and 3 double rooms. That would get awkward. And if you had been to the loo you could not always wash your hands due to the sink being in the shower room. I did also spot one cockroach. Otherwise an ok stay.

Room Tip: Talk to the people at the desk for amazing deals, where to go and what to do.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Great stay. 10 minute walk from downtown, but right on the water makes up for it. Incredibly helpful staff and truly a great setup. It has a large kitchen and pool and outdoor relaxation area. Would strongly recommend to everyone.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

My friend (2 girls) and I stayed here as it was recommended. We checked in and were given our keys so off we went….

Room 1 – small, full of trip hazards due to the males currently staying in the room, a smell I can only describe as disgusting, en suite which did not lock as my friend found out when she walked in on someone!

Back to reception to ask for a different room…

Room 2 – 8 or 10 bed, can’t remember exactly… large room upstairs. Walls 50% stone and 50% glass with no blinds, therefore it is named aquarium, also known to us as the ‘fish bowl’ as that’s what it felt like! Tiny bunk beds, I’m 5ft2 and I could no sit up in bed… There was a couple in this room already who were nice enough and then us, possibly another guy but didn’t see him. We didn’t have any choice at this point but to stay here, it was either this or the smelly dangerous room downstairs.

Room 3 - Next morning we managed to book an apartment with 3 beds as our friend was arriving, this was fine. Quiet and clean so no complaints.
Room 4 – My friend was leaving so I decided to see if I could get a girls dorm to save the hassle of moving, which I did. Again tiny beds but only a 4 bed dorm and reasonably quiet and clean… The bathrooms were downstairs, 2 showers and 2 toilets. There was no cubicle to leave you stuff in while in the shower or get changed in private.

The staff were a little strange I thought and made me feel a little uncomfortable. Oh and the bathrooms beside reception also only had 2 showers and 2 toilets too, however only 1 shower had a shower head, useful…

This hostel could be nice if it was given some tlc, they got rid of the awful ‘fish bowl room’ and invested in some blinds to keep the sun and peering eyes out and they sorted out the bathrooms…

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

Pleasant stay overall.
Took a single room for 40$. The room had a double bed and was basic but nice. No place to store clothes/towels etc though.
Everything was really clean in the guesthouse (bathroom, kitchen etc.)
Two huge kitchens available where everyone seems respectful to clean stuff after usage.
Swimming pool and sociable area with pool table are satisfying. Nice people to socialize with.

Cons:
Check out is the earliest I had during my trip (9.30am)
You need to leave sociable areas at 11pm.
Internet is really expensive (1$ per 15 min or their computer, wifi on your own laptop is 7$ per day)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

After a long, tiring bus journey, the last thing I was expecting was not to have a room for the night. You can imagine my despair when, after dragging my luggage the 15 mins down the street from the bus depot, I arrived to a closed and locked reception area. The area to the patio/pool could only be accessed by a pin code on the gate. Another traveler was nice enough to let me in but a staff member was nowhere to be found. By sheer luck, I happened to run into a traveler who had been working at the hostel for a few weeks and had the manager's number. After about 20 mins, I found out my key had been left in a safe deposit box in the reception area- standard for guests who were arriving after hours (8PM I think). It would have been nice to have known that BEFORE I arrived. It all ended up working out but could have been much worse if not for my chance encounter.

My first room was a 4 bed share with AC and a fridge for $14 which is quite reasonable. And when I did get to reception the next day they were quite helpful and friendly. But the location was about a 15 min walk to the center of town and I found myself walking back and forth a lot and the time started adding up. So between the mishap upon arrival and the location, I would suggest elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Exeter
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012 via mobile

We booked a 6 mix and got bumped up to a 4 girls room- fab! Our room was nice and had space and an ensuite. The hostel has 2 kitchens which is great, outdoor seating and an outdoor movie area which was fine as it's so hot there. There is also a lovely swimming pool plus you get a free meal Each night in the woodshed pub! I would def stay here again!

• Stayed April 2012
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

This was the perfect choice for us to stay in Cairns. The private rooms are well air conditioned and clean, the pool area and kitchen were ok and the staff were really friendly and helpful.
Its about 5 minutes walk along the seafront to the centre which makes it a nice quiet area and theres a great little cafe out front. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Caravella Backpackers? Share your experiences!