“cheap, friendly with easy access to the centre” 3 of 5 stars

Calypso Inn Backpackers Resort
2.5 of 5 Hostel   |   5 - 9 Digger St, Cairns, Queensland 4870, Australia   |
Ranked #19 of 84 Specialty Lodging in Cairns
Scotland
“cheap, friendly with easy access to the centre”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2009

we stayed here for 2 weeks and it was extremely hot and humid in November. The air conditioning didnt work very well and was vey noisy so it wasnt great, rooms were small but big enough for your bags and you to get in. Was cheap and offer a great free shuttle into the town and to and from the airport which is really handy. The showers wernt great but ok, food was good and there was planty fresh fruit on offer when we were there. Lots of computers to use internet which is great and loads of activities on offer.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2009

From the minute we checked in we were made to feel at home. The staff are super friendly and know EVERYTHING about Cairns! They had a party whilst we were there with DJ's and live music which was awesome - great atmosphere but it finished by around midnight so we weren't kept up all night.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2009

After staying in some hell holes in Australia I wasnt expecting much from Calypso. However the staff were very friendly from the start- picking us up from our campervan rental place. The hostel has a very laid back feel and is decorated in funky colours, I loved the paintings on the walls. When I wanted to book a scuba diving trip the staff were very helpful and I ended up haveing a great time! The food is also really cheap and I loved the bbq nights! They also have a kitchen upstairs if you wish to use that. There is also a pool to use, which is a must in the summer heat of Cairns! The only problem I had with the hostel was that the smoking are was around the pool. As a non-smoker myself I hated having to leave my towel there and then it stinking of cigarettes when I got out the pool. I stayed in both a dorm and a private room and both were very clean and comfortable. In the dorm the bunk beds were clean and new there was also plenty of electric sockets! The private room was beautiful, we even had our own little seating area outside, it also had air-con. The toilets and showers are also very clean.
The hostel also has a bus running into town evey 2 hour or so which was handy, although the town is only about a 20 minute walk away, they also took us to the airport!
Overall a great experience, if you're going to Cairns stay at Calypso!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Sheffield, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

We spent four nights here and found it to be exactly what we were looking for.

Yes, it is a youth hostel. Yes, there are lots of "young & lively" people staying here. And yes, if you go with an open mind and a sense of fun you WILL have a great time.

The property is great value (something like £10 a bed a night in a dorm room) and the staff extremely friendly. Food and drink here was well priced and seemed very good. We paid extra for a private room - with shared bathrooms - which I think was a good idea, however, many people enjoyed their stay in the shared rooms.

The location is good and you all the sights of Cairns are readily available in a short (10 to 15 minute) walk.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2009

This place is simply AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!
It's a little slice or paradise away from home. I wish i could have stayed here much much longer!!!!!
The staff are so friendly, you feel like you've known them for years!!!! Thanks so much Vee and Buds. You helped make my trip so memorable!!!!!
The advice is great both on tours and about nightlife from Nate and Margo!!!!!
The rooms are cosy and thankfully A/C!!!!
The bar and restaurant there are superb, food is scrummy and they have 2 happy hours!!!
There is also always something going on!!!
I miss you all dearly!!!!
Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — The Uber Cool Funky Staff!!!!!!!!
  • Disliked — I couldn't stay longer!!!!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2008

I stayed in a lot of hostels in Australia and this was definitely one of the worst. I stayed in a tiny room that barely had enough room for my backpack. It was 20mins from town and the last bus went into town very early. It was winter so it was quite cold and when i asked for an extra blanket there were none left. The worst thing by far though was waking up in the morning with bites all over me. I don't think they were bed bugs but very unpleasant

• Liked — The free bus transfer to the airport
  • Disliked — Been biten alive
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Long Beach, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2008

I stayed here in late 2002 on a recommendation I got in Brisbane. As soon as you check in, they aggressively hawk tours, boating trips, and the like. The dorms do not have A/C and after tossing and turning all night, I woke up in puddle of my own sweat. Also located far from town. It was so bad, I checked out after the first night. There are much better options in town.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — No A/C, far from town, noisy
  • Stayed December 2005, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Calypso Inn Backpackers Resort? Share your experiences!