“Nice Staff, Don't Expect to Sleep” 3 of 5 stars

Calypso Inn Backpackers Resort
2.5 of 5 Hostel   |   5 - 9 Digger St, Cairns, Queensland 4870, Australia   |
Ranked #21 of 84 Specialty Lodging in Cairns
Denver, Colorado
“Nice Staff, Don't Expect to Sleep”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

Stayed here for three nights while on a scuba course. Staff are very helpful with questions, restaurants, transportation, travel, etc. Was one of the dirtier hostels I've stayed in throughout Asia Pacific. Booked a shoebox sized private room and barely got any sleep each night due to 'frisky' neighbors on all sides, thin walls and very creaky floorboards above us. They must put something in the drinks because there were A LOT of people getting lucky. If you're looking for a place with atmosphere and to meet other young backpackers (18-25) this is probably a good option. If you're looking for a few drinks and a good night's rest, go somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Mackay, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

Had an awesome stay. Staff were really friendly and welcoming and the room was clean. The staff helped me book some tours I wanted to do. The shuttle bus to town was convenient and went regularly. The bar was loads of fun, there was a snake show where I got to hold a big snake! I met lots of people and would definately go back!

Room Tip: Double rooms at the back are quiet and cheap!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

I just wrote a book-The World As I Know It. and in it I highly advised to stay here. I backpacked throughout Australia and thought that Calypso was the only place where the staff wanted you there. We had a double room with a little porch. We could see the main area(restaurant/pool table), being so close, I didn't hear anything. It seemed to me that people left the area around 10pm. The location was great. 30 min walk to beach and mall one way and 30 min walk to the botanical gardens/forest, the other way. The meals were cheap and they have a travel/tourist spot. They will organize your trips to the Daintree Rainforest, Snorkelling/diving the Great Barrier Reef... They have a place where you can store your luggage when you're not staying and doing these excursions, which was nice. You can just take a smaller bag. We all know that those big backpacks get to be a bit annoying after a while. The buffet meals were good and I enjoyed the social games they organized at night. Hope you like it as much as I did.

Room Tip: I travelled with my husband and we paid $5 each extra a night and got a double bed with a little por...
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

Calypso staff are super friendly and the facilties here are good but overall the hostel is run down. I guess this adds to the charm of it all and I enjoyed staying here. If you are wanting to meet other travellers I would definitely recommend it. The kitchen area opens up to the bar area so its an extremely sociable hostel. Location is a little bit further out but the free shuttle bus into the centre of Cairns is an awesome amenity. At night the bar has really really loud music so if you want somewhere to relax at night and you prefer peace and quiet sometimes I wouldn't recommend Calypso to you. Also, the showers are right next to the bar so you have to walk past everyone in just your towel! If you're okay with that then I guess it's a cool hostel for backpackers.

Room Tip: Ask for a room far from the bar to avoid noise.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

Great location and atmosphere with evening activities/entertainment which can go on till late. Shared bathroom/washrooms are clean but rooms not the best we've stayed in (rather small and no facilities inside). For price we paid we can't really complain and felt very safe.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Seaham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011 via mobile

This hostel was ideal for one night. We stayed in a double room and it had a comfy bed with clean sheets, a few hooks to hang ur stuff off, bedside tables and aircon..... The shower/ toilet facilities were clean. I didn't venture into the kitchen but it seamed fairly small the hostel bar sold decent food and was reasonably priced.... the communal areas were comfy and the overall atmosphere of the hostel was great. Definitely more of a party hostel tho, the music was played till late and people were a bit loud once the beer started flowing but all in all a good hostel! Great location just a short-ish walk into the town centre.

• Stayed September 2010
Camberley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

This was the first hostel I have ever stayed in and I loved it! I ended up staying in cleaner hostels with more amenities but Calypso holds some of the best memories! The staff are unbelieveably helpful. Buddha is incredible! We hadn't even introduced ourselves and had been checked in for about 4 hours but he already knew our names, what room we were staying in and was the best when it came to recommending tours.
We arrived in cairns at 5am but they let us have our room straight away for free (think check in is meant to be at 11am). The evenings are also great with a friendly atmosphere and competitions in the evening to keep you entertained. The rooms are so basic and not the cleanliest but I just had the most amazing stay in Cairns. Thanks Calypso! (At £13 a night for a private room I am not complaining!)

Room Tip: private rooms are cheap!
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Calypso Inn Backpackers Resort? Share your experiences!