“My favourite hostel on the East Coast” 5 of 5 stars

Travellers Oasis Backpackers
8 - 10 Scott Street, Cairns, Queensland 4870, Australia   |
Ranked #2 of 84 Specialty Lodging in Cairns
Melbourne, Australia
“My favourite hostel on the East Coast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

I stayed here for 6 nights which were split between a 3 bed room and a 6 bed room. In each of these I was in a single bed (no bunks!) which is such a luxury. The rooms and hostel were kept very clean. The kitchens were large enough and stocked well enough for the number of guests staying there. What really sets this hostel apart from the rest is the quality of service you receive here. The staff knew my name from the moment I arrived and it really felt like they wanted to make my stay as enjoyable as possible.
The only (very minor) complaints that I have is the charging for the use of the A/C, I would rather the use be unlimited and the cost of the stay slightly more than having to feed coins into the meter. Also, the reception hours are kind of unusual.
Overall, I loved this place and it is definitely my favourite hostel on the East Coast. Stay here if you get the chance!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

My bf and I had a great time at the Travellers Oasis. Our room was comfortable and the deck with a hammock was a wonderful way to relax and take it all in. Helen and the staff were helpful and friendly. While we were only in cairns for 3 days, the staff gave us wonderful recommendations that made our trip a wonderful one. I would definitely recommend this place.

Room Tip: The deluxe double is a bit more but well worth it for own private oasis. Great for couples
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Carlsbad, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

This was my first time in a "hostel" and I think its fair to say it spoiled my future hostel experiences. Like every other review says, this is like staying in someones cozy guest house. The hostel is in a nice quiet area but walking distance to town, the rooms are clean and come with a safe for every bed, and the prices are great. There's also a nice pool, clean, well-equipped kitchens and plenty of space to lounge around. The place has a fun vibe and all the staff members were pleasant and ready to help plan any activities. Every hostel I went to after this place cost WAY more and felt like I was sleeping in the crew quarters of a cargo ship. Traveller's Oasis is truly a budget traveller's dream.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

There isn't a single bad word to say about this hostel.

The staff are very friendly and welcoming. We stayed for a few nights and they helped us and recommended possibly the best trip we did during our stay in Australia.

The rooms are nice and they provide you with towels which is a luxury in hostels! They also give you beach towels to take on your trips! Wifi is excellent and FREE!

We were very sad to leave the place and people, especially pepper (the dog). If ever back in Cairns this would be the only place I would stay!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I booked in for one night and had a lovely stay. The rooms were bright, clean and very attentive staff. The pool is lovely and there is a large kitchen to cook in. I would recommend this place but there is a fair walk from town so I moved to a hotel closer to town.

Stayed July 2014
Borås, Västra Götaland, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

If you want a hostel with a homey-atmosphere, Travellers Oasis is the place to stay! We've been staying here for several weeks and already when checking in we felt like we were home, it's like a gigant family where everybody helps each other. The staff will help you with anything you might need or want to do, just ask them and you'll get all information you need! All facilities (there's lots of them!!!) are clean and tidy, the staff really does everything in their power to make it comfy and homey! The one thing you should watch out for tho is Mickey, he's the awesome and cute guy behind the reception desk that sings Carolas song Mickey to the pet fish (we all reckon he has a crush for the fish since he always smiles like a moron and flirts with it while singing……). And by the by, if you sing the Mickey-song to Mickey he just might take you out on a date (c'mon girls give it a go, you won't be disappointed just as long as you respect his love for the beloved fishey)!

• Stayed June 2014
Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

This was undoubtedly the best hostel I have ever stayed in! Wonderful atmosphere with the most helpful staff - especially Helen! Very clean and well maintained - you can tell that the owners take great pride in the hostel. They run a fantastic Aussie barbecue with crocodile, kangaroo and emu at the sister hostel on a Monday which is not to be missed!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Travellers Oasis Backpackers? Share your experiences!