“My home in Cairns” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Takaka, New Zealand
“My home in Cairns”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

I worked in Travellers for a month or so and it´s been the nicest hostel i´ve stayed so far. Staff are super friendly, atmosphere is really chilled-out and overall i felt like home there. Cosy and cool, deserves all the prices:)

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

I stayed here for 8 days in November. I was a solo traveller, on the more mature side. Age-wise, at least. I have travelled a fair bit and stayed in many places and can add to the praise on here. This is a great place to stay. Staff are very friendly and welcoming. Thanks, Rhea and Helen. The whole place is cleaned daily and is very well maintained. You will get insightful advice on what trips are best for you. It is not located on the Esplande but hardly a trek at a 10 minute walk. There is a curfew for noise at 10 and I never found it too noisy. I would stay here even if my budget allowed me to stay at more pricey places.

Room Tip: I went for a solo room which was fine for my needs. Don't lock yourself out of your room though!
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

I stayed at the travellers oasis for 5 days at the end of november and had a lovely little stay. Upon my arrival I was greeted by Helen who was really lovely, we sat and had a chat about what was nearby and about some trips I was booking. It was a nice touch, instead of just getting slung into your room, especially as someone who had come to cairns on my own, the warm and friendly greeting was most welcomed. Added bonus was that Helen is actually from the same city as me back in the UK so felt even more home from home :-)

The pool was clean, lovely to dip into after a morning of sunbathing on the loungers. On the thursday night they had a pizza night which was just $10 for pizza and a drink, and they brought in tons of pizzas from pizza hut and gave people a good opportunity to get together and chat and meet eachother.

Friendly staff, nice atmosphere, can imagine it's a good place to stay if you were sticking around a little longer as the kitchen and tv room were very homely.

would definitely stay here again if I make the trip up to cairns again.

(and special mention to REA who works in the hostel who very kindly lent me some moola after I realised my bank card had been frauded on the last night!)

keep up the good work guys!

Agnes Water, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here our two first days in cairns. It was very chilled out and the staff was nice. It's quite far away from the lagoon but that's not a big deal. Walking is good. We stayed in a double and had our own fridge which was nice. Wifi was free. We never used the kitchen thou. Only negative thing I have to say is AC will cost ya. And during the nights in Nov you need it.

• Stayed November 2013
Siem Reap
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

The previous reviewers have pretty much covered it:
- really excellent staff - some of the friendliest and helpful we have encountered
- free and actually useable wifi is great
- double rooms were comfortable; for me, the pillows weren't the best (too hard), but that is a personal preference; every room has a fridge (at least the twin and double rooms) - I love that
- BBQ Monday night was great, even for a vegetarian
- pool area was nice and I always enjoy a good swing in a hammock
- kitchen was fine - there are two (I only used one); always a problem with other travelers not cleaning up after themselves properly, but you'll get everywhere unfortunately
- cleanliness throughout - the staff always seemed to be cleaning and I felt everything was pretty clean in the shared areas
- location - we had stayed a few nights closer to the Esplanade, so we were a bit spoiled when we moved here; but it's really not that far - probably 10-12 mins to the water.

My only suggestion would be that they enforce the "quiet after 10pm" rule as rooms are never very sound proof and sound carries throughout the area.

Would definitely recommend this hostel.

Room Tip: We were in Room 16 (twin room) and Room 11 (double). Room 11 is a nice sized room.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

My best friend and I took a quick trip around Australia the past week and a half (we packed a lot into 10 days!)... when we visited Cairns we stayed at Travellers, and it was fantastic! This was the only hostel I have ever stayed at, and it has set the bar pretty high for any others!

As terrible as this sounds, the free wifi was one of the most appreciated features. Being from the US we were only able to contact our loved ones back home when we had wifi, so the fact that it was 24/7 free (and worked great even in the rooms) was SO NICE.

We missed out on the pizza night, as we left that morning but I hear the theme nights are great. The staff was super friendly, the place was incredibly clean.

The fact that they loan you beach towels and bath towels is beyond amazing. Who wants to drag that with them on vacation!?

There were plenty of bathrooms and showers, so you never had to wait longer than 5 min if that. The kitchen looked really well stocked, we never used it though. The fridge in the room was a nice touch, we picked up a few snacks at the grocery across the street.

I will definitely consider staying in hostels wherever I travel from now on, thanks to my experience here at Travellers!

Room Tip: We had a two person private, and it was great!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Really enjoyed my time at Travellers Oasis - so much so that I'm going back again to finish off my east coast trip! Staff are lovely and friendly, really helpful when booking trips. Really enjoyed the BBQ which is run at the sister hostel.
Great facilities - pool, kitchen, washing, use of beach and towels and free wifi which is fantastic considering I've had to pay for it in most hostels!
Beds comfy and clean and the towel is also great - saves having to use own for a few days.
The bathrooms perhaps could do with a lick of paint and a floor mat as it can get quite slippery.

Overall absolutely loved my time here and really looking forward to going back in December!

Would highly recommend Travellers Oasis to anyone visiting Cairns.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Been to Travellers Oasis Backpackers? Share your experiences!