“The happy Paddy (but rooms need improvement)” 4 of 5 stars

Nomads Cairns Backpackers and Serpent Bar
2.5 of 5 Hostel   |   341 Lake St, Cairns, Queensland 4870, Australia   |
Ranked #43 of 83 Specialty lodging in Cairns
Dublin, Ireland
“The happy Paddy (but rooms need improvement)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Stayed here for a total of 10 days in 3 different rooms. All in all, I had a good experience.

Good and cheap bar food, kitchen has everything (but is a little small), helpful staff, nice pool, hot and powerful showers, clean, comfy, a good bus service to the city and quiet by hostel standards. I think most of the people here do day tours so most get up very early. As a result, there is not the same party atmosphere as some of the hostels that are closer to town.

However, the rooms do let the hostel down. Room stinks, while one of the beds in room B15 is missing half its lats giving me back pain. I ended up swapping beds. The rooms do not have enough powerpoints to charge everyone's phone, mps's etc. The rooms also have no proper storage space while the bunk beds dont have proper ladders (I was stood on one night by a girl struggling to climb into the top bunk).

So all in all, 8/10.

Room Tip: Avoid B7 like the plague!!!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

173 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

We stayed overnight passing through from Airlie beach to Alice Springs.. had no previous intentions to stay at Cairns, but the 24 hours we spent here wasn't too bad :)

Nomads offered a free airport transfer from the airport which was some dude in a old van. very much appreciated (transfer was about 10 minutes) we booked a transfer back to the airport which was about $20.

The hostel is quite far out of town, about a 30-40 min walk along the beach promenade although the hostel does run a regular shuttle service. Bathroom blocks were very clean. we had a twin room which was also clean, we had to go and ask for the air conditioning remote control and give it back once we had it set to what we wanted.

Bar facilities were great- very sociable and great to see the classic British cocktail "snakebite" on the menu!

Nomads have got it down to a 'T'- Recommended :)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

I have been to nomads west end in Sydney and had a complexly dreadful experience. We decided though to give it a second chance in cairns and was equally dissatisfied. The accommodation it's self is what it says on the tin. it's a nice enough setting and a cheap price and cleanliness of the hostel was better than the one in Sydney (not hard) but the never escaping smell of mould is ever present. The 'shuttle service'' which is ran by backpackers is always late and we sometimes had to wait an hour to get the next shuttle into the city. This place is completely ran by backpackers bar one or two staff members. We arranged to work for accommodation before we got here and regretted it as soon as we arrived.'we tried it though for a couple of days but should of gone with gut instinct. We were locked out of our room for a whole night and the night 'manager' had no idea what to do so we had to sit in the lobby until the morning. As I said its cheap for a couple of buck more I'd recommend Gilligans for atmosphere and cleanliness.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

Breakfast starts here at 6.30am but they start blaring out music at 6am. This isn't summer camp and I do not need a wake up call. There are signs all over the building to say 'please respect our neighbours.' Maybe the staff would also if the hostel wasn't run by backpackers (people working for their accommodation.)
There is only about 2 members of staff who aren't backpackers so good luck if you need something sorted at reception as you're most likely to be served by someone who doesn't know how to work the system and who doesn't understand English very well.

• Stayed June 2014
St. Helens
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

All along my east coast trip I have stayed at nomads... never had a complaint until I stayed here!
The staff are absolutely horrendous! On reception they hardly speak English so can not understand you. They are rude and not once did I see them smile!
other people in my room noticed this too.... it creates a very awkward & unwelcoming atmosphere.

The room was dirty and smelt awful. Air con is included but very noisy. You also have to ask reception to turn it on/off.

The communal areas are small & outside. The staff sit together in their group & will not speak to anyone else!

And to make it worse.... it's miles from the city cbd- shuttle bus provided but it doesn't run every hour. The walk is a good 25 mins.

If I hadn't prepaid for my room when I booked my tour, I would have checked out immediately!

Do . yourself a favour and stay somewhere else!!!

Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

Stayed in this hostel for a few days,m. The location is fine, I knew (like everyone else) when I booked it it was far out but the shuttle buses are brilliant and the walk along the esplanade is lovely!
My only issue was the staff here are literally ALL working for accom and half of them seemed pretty rude and incompetent!!

• Stayed May 2014
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

Stayed at Serpent nomads.Absolute worst hostel I have stayed at thus far! Air con was broken in room. Staff had no idea what they were doing, charged me for a lock to use for, "Lockers," to put my baggage in during a tour, turns out there was no need for a lock and I completely wasted my money! Shuttle bus ran very infrequently, had to walk to inconvenient location twice in the rain. alarm went off in the middle of the night causing everyone to evacuate for approx. 1 hour. and I was told this had happened for the past 3 nights.

worst $30 I've ever spent. thats a lot of money for a backpacker!

Room Tip: dont stay here
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Nomads Cairns Backpackers and Serpent Bar? Share your experiences!