“Great Location and Value for Money” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges Esplanade Resort Cairns

Save Saved
You added Rydges Esplanade Resort Cairns to your Saves list
Rydges Esplanade Resort Cairns
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   209-217 Abbott Street, Cairns, Queensland 4870, Australia (Formerly Matson Resort Cairns)   |
Ranked #25 of 66 hotels in Cairns
Perth
“Great Location and Value for Money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2009

Travelling on business I found this hotel very conveniently located just a short distance from Cairns city. Having travelled from Perth, I was happy to see that the hotel was only 10 minutes from the airport and that there was complimentary car parking for my rental car.
I found the hotel very accommodating to my business needs and great value for money. Speedy check in and check out and attentive staff both at reception and room service, topped off my stay.
I'll certainly be coming back to this hotel. Loved my Ocean view room.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
GENERALESPLANADE, Executive Assistant Manager at Rydges Esplanade Resort Cairns, responded to this review, March 27, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your positive feedback.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the facilities and service on offer.

429 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2009

A group of friends and I came up to stay at rydges esplanade cause we were recommended to it by some friends. From the moment we set foot in the eantrance we were all treated very well the staff were amazingly attentive and actually looked like they cared about who we were.

We found our favourite part of the hotel in the pool with the swim up bar which lets face it is the coolest idea in existance, and then relaxing by the pool with cocktail in hand.

All of our rooms had a fabulous view of town which made us more and more eager to check out what was going on. After a beautiful dinner in the restaurant and a few more cocktails of course.

I would definately stay at rydges esplanade again cuz it was the $h!t (this means awesome for thoe who don't know)

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to see you and your friends thoroughly enjoyed your stay at the resort.

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and look forward to welcoming you back to the resort.

melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2009

I recently met up with friends in Cairns for an overdue reunion and we all decided to stay at the Rydges Esplanade Resort. The rooms were very spacious and comfortable with great views of the ocean. I couldn't get over the size of the pool and the pool bar was a great place to relax and cool down. The staff were very helpfull and friendly. They helped us organise all our tours and even helped organise babysitters a couple of nights. I was really impressed by the food and service in the Coral Hedge Restaurant and the fire & ice bufet they do at night is a must do. Another service I was impressed with was the shuttle bus. It is only a short walk into the heart of Cairns but when the tropical rain comes down you really appreciate the shuttle bus. I can honestly recomend Rydges Esplanade to anyone visiting Cairns.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive review. I am delighted that you enjoyed the facilities of our resort. I have passed on your compliments to our Executive Chef who is very pleased that you enjoyed our signature Fire & Ice Buffet.

Once again, thank you!

Queensland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2009

We really enjoyed our stay at Rydges Esplanade. We stayed in an ocean view room and had a fantastic view over the esplanade. The room was spacious and comfortable. We had dinner in their restaurant on one of the nights and both the food and service was wonderful . All the staff were really helpful - they helped us book a reef trip and gave us some good tips of where to go shopping and sight seeing. - we were delighted to find the hotel has a free shuttle bus that goes to the shopping centre too!
The facilities were great, the pool area was so nice and relaxing! - Just a really nice place to stay : )

• Liked — Great staff & spacious rooms
  • Disliked — -
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your stay at the resort.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the facilities and hospitality of Rydges Esplanade Resort.

Wellington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2009

Thank you for a great stay over over Christmas. I travelled to Cairns over Christmas and chose the Rydges Esplanade hotel because of it's great pool area and the Christmas Lunch menu looked awesome - and it was, the staff were very friendly from the moment we got there until we left.

I met friends every night and we drank in the lobby bar (and the pool bar during the day) - staff were always friendly and happy to put a twist on their cocktails.

I signed up to the loyalty program and ate in the restauarant quite a bit - loved the prawns and oysters, always fresh and couldn't say no to them. Will definitely be back next year to catch up with friends, might even come in winter.

Thank you to the guy on the front desk for recommending the fishing trip - awesome! I'll be back.

• Liked — Comfortable beds
  • Disliked — Bigger softdrink bottles in the minibar
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your fantastic feedback on your recent stay at the resort.

I am delighted you had a pleasurable stay and do hope you to welcome you back in the near future.

Townsville
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2009

My father was cominfg for a visit from overseas and we decided on a trip to Cairns to show him the sights. We chose Rydges because it is one of the few accomadations that caters to a large family. When booking our stay I estimated our eta as 14.00, as this is the earliest you are told you can check in. We arrived after a hard day of sight seeing with 3 young children in tow to find that our room was not ready and that it would be about 1/2 hour before they could have our room availabe for us. We decided to go have a wonder along the beach and were told by staff that they would call us as soon as the room was ready. After an hour we still hadn't received a call, so my husband decided to call and see how long it would be. He was told that it was ready and that they forgot to call, no apology just that they had forgot.
We were then shown to our 2 Bedroom Tower Apartment. When we entered we were overwhelmed by the smell of stale cigarette smoke throughout the whole of the apartment. I had requested no smoking. I also had to call reception to get the cot I had already requested upon booking my reservation. The air conditionin vent were covered in mold and when I opened the fridge it was unclean.
For the upside of things, the apartments are very spacious, you do get towels to us in the pool area, and is a stroll across to the the esplanaede which have a park for children to play in.
Unfortunately for Rydges they will not be our choice for the next time we visit Cairns which is quite often. As they were indifferent to our comments about the room when checking out. And we will not be recommending them to our family and friends.

• Liked — Spaco
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dear Guest,

Thank you providing us with your valuable feedback.

Greetings from the Rydges Esplanade Resort Cairns and my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused during your stay with the hotel.

Feedback such as yours is important to us as they afford us an opportunity to review our procedures and effect enhancements. Furthermore they provide a vehicle for greater clarity and understanding.

I have updated your profile in the system with your preference for non-smoking rooms and apartments. I have also addressed your feedback with the housekeeping department and the necessary action has been taken.

I apologise for your apartment not been ready on time. After personally looking into the matter, I have found that the apartments were fully booked the night before and we had an unexpected late departure.

Once again my sincere apologies and do hope you choose to with the resort again.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2009

We arrived at the hotel during terrible Cairns wet season weather. A Cyclone was developing the the gulf, and we had nothing but pouring rain and wind during our entire stay.
The room was large and had all the mod cons. We would have had a nice view if the weather wasn't so bad. The bathroom was large, and the bed was huge. The only gripe was the TV was a little old, and it had sound, but no picture on a couple of occasions... you had to give it a bit of a whack! (Room 420) The room was very clean but the mini bar was a little overpriced - but aren't they all?
We were approximately one kilometre from the Marina which is where all the boat trips leave from. It would have been a nice walk during fine weather. However, there seems to be lots of taxis around, so only a $10 trip if you don't really want to walk.
After three days we decided to cut our holiday short as all our activities had been canceled. We approached reception to advise we wanted to check out three days early, and they advised there would be no penalty as we had given 12 hours notice. Checkout was quick and efficient.
We would recommend this hotel to others visiting Cairns - hopefully they would have better weather than we had!

• Liked — Nice big rooms, Nice Pool, Lots of Taxis.
  • Disliked — A little far from the Marina.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write the review. I am glad you enjoyed the resorts facilites and do hope you visit again for a longer stay.

Executive Assistant Manager

Been to Rydges Esplanade Resort Cairns? Share your experiences!