“Pullman Cairns” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17 Abbott Street, Cairns, Queensland 4870, Australia   |
Offers & Announcements
Free Breakfast Offer
Ranked #10 of 66 Hotels in Cairns

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Gatton, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

I had not intended on publicly reviewing this hotel. I spoke with the girls on checkout, who told me they would pass on my concerns to management. But considering that nobody has been in touch with me to discuss it, perhaps they might take notice here.

We booked our 7 night stay over 3 1/2 months prior to check in as we were going for our 26th anniversary. Requested a smoking room in the premium harbour view king room. Was told that the smoking room was on 16th floor. Great, I thought as I love a decent view.

Due to arrive on Friday 23rd, I called ahead on the Monday to query the car parking as it wasn't noted on our emailed booking confirmation. It was confirmed over the phone, as was the room being on the 16th floor and us being in a smoking room. I informed them that we may be an hour early and was told that check in wasn't until 2pm so they would stow the bags for us.

Just an hour prior to arrival I had received some terrible news and was upset. I now just wanted to get to the room and hide for a while - even if by the pool until the room was ready. We arrived on the Friday, an hour early as planned, only to be told that we were in a NON SMOKING ROOM ON THE 14th FLOOR.... What???
They say they'll "see what can be done". Given a drink 'on the house' while we wait.
Sorry, the 16th floor is booked out. HANG ON, WE BOOKED MONTHS AGO, WE'RE AN HOUR BEFORE CHECK IN AND YOU'VE GOT NOTHING LEFT.... only a NON SMOKING ROOM on the 14th floor with an offer to move us the next day. They claimed we were booked into a NON smoking room all along and that I HAD NOT called earlier in the week. So after an hour of stuffing around, the manager said it was fine to smoke "on the balcony" and he would send up an ashtray. That's fine as hubby only smokes outside anyway.
So our first 24 hours we had to live out of the suitcases.
NO ashtray was sent. We ended up going out to BUY one as we couldn't find a number in the room for housekeeping and didn't want any further interaction with the front desk.

The next day we had to make sure all was packed away ready for them to move us. As anyone would know, you don't relax till the bags are unpacked so our first day was a waste.

When we went to exchange room keys the next day, we were clearly an inconvenience. I felt so bad from the experience that I ended up apologising for the hassle just to smooth things over. This has left a very bitter taste.

Upon entering the new room I found that the pull-out handle of one of our suitcases was sitting in an odd manner. I guess it was dropped in the process of moving as the handle is now bent and doesn't work, (this was a brand new suitcase) and the toiletry bag has smashed contents spilt all through the bag that were definitely not like that when I used them that very morning prior to moving rooms.

We found that after putting the "please make up our room" sign on the door at 6am on the Wednesday, the room still wasn't done at 5pm when we returned. They hurriedly made it up, but neglected to leave any bath mat and towels.

The "room directory book" has absolutely NO contact numbers for the hotel. If you wanted anything, you needed to read the separate 'room service menu' to get their number, then ring them and ask for something so they could forward your request to the relevant person. They brought up another directory that should have the numbers, only to find the housekeeper searching both booklets and finding that nowhere is there a number for housekeeping, reception, or anything else. She was going to get back to us. Never did.

With all the stuff ups on arrival that reduced me to tears, our consolation was ONE night free parking ($20) on a nearly $1700 bill....

In all fairness, every one of the valet boys were wonderful. They were courteous, helpful and friendly during our entire stay.

Room Tip: Get the name of the person EVERY time you speak to them, especially when making the booking.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Paul C, General Manager at Pullman Cairns International, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Hi BotanicFarm,

Wow -I'm sorry we made these mistakes during your stay especailly when you had had such bad news. We obviously could have provided you with more information and I'm again sorry we disappointed you as it was certainly not our intention.
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

We recently stayed here during a trip to Cairns. The hotel is in a great location for restaurants and access to the reef. The hotel foyer is impressive and our room was a reasonable size. The buffet breakfast was pretty good, with lots of fresh fruit as well as the usual selections. The service was pretty good although we did have an unfortunate experience during our first night when one of the hotel staff knocked on our door repeatedly at 1:30am and asked to be let in to check to see if we had thrown a chair off of our balcony. She then ran through our room and went out to the balcony to ensure our chairs were still there then ran out the room. No explanation or apology the following morning... Overall, a pretty enjoyable stay and worth considering if visiting Cairns.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Paul C, General Manager at Pullman Cairns International, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Hi sismith 17,
Firstly let me apologise regarding the incident with chair -that was a fairly crazy night for us as someone was throwing chairs out of the windows and we were very concerned about people being injured - sorry we could have handled it better for you. Thanks for the rest of the review and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay.
Brisbane
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

We have just returned from a 2 night stay at the Pullman Cairns International Hotel. We stayed in room 1419, balcony, nice view, friendly staff and clean hotel. We found the housekeeping staff to be very professional and pleasant. Small gym, pool and 2 sauna's (loved the sauna's). This hotel certainly has the facilities for conferences/balls etc. Good air conditioning (bit noisy, but that doesn't really bother me) Negatives....stained carpets, tired and dated furnishings, the most uncomfortable beds (married couple given twin double beds). As we were staying there as part of a very large group of people we didn't want to complain as we thought they would probably be booked out....I am not fussy with beds, however these were tiny and very uncomfortable!! We heard at least 4 other couples talking about their beds. Very limited options for food/room service after 10pm (wedges or toasted sandwiches). Food ..... well..it was ok, definitely room for improvement..

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Paul C, General Manager at Pullman Cairns International, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Hi Brisbane No1,
Thanks for your review and mentioning the staff and I note your comments regarding the beds - this situation is under review; I know that doesn't change your experience but your generous donation of feedback certainly helps our cause -thanks again.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

I have just returned to London from a 5 day conference trip held at the hotel and found that the hotel was good. (I suspect I was part of the conference that irked a previous reviewer, but (a) went to bed and (b) sympathise as I would not have wanted to be there at the same time as a major conference) It was not in the Ritx Carlton or Four Seasons League but I was not expecting it to be - if it does advertise as 5* then I would be disappointed as it is 3.5 - 4 as a matter of impression. The view from my room across to the sea was wonderful (the fruit bats at dusk are a remarkable sight) and the hotel is very well positioned for the wharf and seafront generally. The bar and restaurant were average but the pool was good and the staff efficient and friendly. My room was of a high standard (clearly not an experience shared by others) and I would be happy to go back. The air-conditioning was efficient and no more obtrusive than anywhere else in my experience (I always turn it off at night wherever I am and it was good to have the controls by the bedside - more often than not the controls are impossible to find!). The TV channels were limited and the output dreadful - but that is not the hotel's fault - you realise how good the BBC when getting back home. I would treat the hotel more as a transit point either for trips to the Reef - Green Island is only 50 minutes and amazing, despite the numbers heading off on the Cats - or when heading further north to the rainforest. But whatever the destination, provided you do not have too high expectations of the Pullman it is more than adequate. Incidentally, if travelling business class to Australia I would choose Emirates again - the seat layout and comfort is 2nd to none.

Room Tip: High up (12 - 15th floors) overlooking the sea
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Hi Wander2London,
Thanks for a balanced review and I do agree with you regarding the harshness of some recent reviews however everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Thanks for mentioning the staff -they really do work hard here to overcome some obstacles.
Bicester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

We booked the hotel for the last 4 nights of our Australia holiday. We booked an "upgraded" room with water view room facing the harbour - well what a disappointment. When you got out of the lift the carpets were frayed and stained. The room was old and tired and the balcony cramped. The curtains fell off their runners every time you tried to open them and the air con was really loud.

There were far too many bad points for a supposed 5* hotel. The hotel desperately needs to be refurbished and all the rooms upgraded. The furniture is old and dated, carpets are frayed and stained and I agree with previous comments that the beds are uncomfortable.

Whilst we were there a massive conference was taking place. The public areas were unbearably noisy - especially breakfast, we wanted to go to the pool but the staff were setting up a pool party for the conference and we were made to feel totally unwelcome by staff who told us we had to leave by 5pm and deliberately played loud music to get rid of us earlier.

This hotel was supposed to be the icing on our holiday trip but it failed to tick any boxes.

We paid a lot of money for this hotel and felt totally cheated. We would not stay here again and would not recommend it to any of our friends or family. This was our first stay at a Pullman hotel and based on this experience most certainly our last.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi Nicole H,

Thanks for your review - and taking the time to do so. We are working on refurbishment plans currently and I understand for a section of the user group this is an important point - I can't get ahead of myself however but to relate that the recent spate of feedback is not lost on me and the people I report to. I will keep at it!
Paul

Been to Pullman Cairns International? Share your experiences!