“Great stay apart from the parking” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17 Abbott Street, Cairns, Queensland 4870, Australia   |
Offers & Announcements
Free Breakfast Offer
Ranked #10 of 66 Hotels in Cairns
“Great stay apart from the parking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012 via mobile

Had a great experience here. Came back to the room whilst diner was still going. We went to the restaurant to ask about breakfast in the morning. Staff were very helpful and when I asked if there was chocolate in the room the waiter said yes but hold a minute. When he returned he gave me a plate full of chocolate deserts from the restaurant at no cost. great service the whole stay apart from paying $20 for parking.

• Stayed February 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

After many years of travelling to Cairns for the Sebel has provided the best value for money.
The Hotel foyer is grand and inviting. The rooms are very clean and a above average size with very comfortable beds. The bath rooms are also a good size, with bath, shower and large mirror. Overall, very quiet and relaxing.
The Sebel is located at the southern end of the esplanade and close to the casino and restaurants.
It’s unfortunate that on this trip the level of service was below expectation. Whilst working in my room I ordered dinner but after 90 minutes it hadn’t arrived. I called to check and the girl apologised but had no record and seemed not wanting to take responsibility and I was transferred to the kitchen who also apologised but they also didn’t want to take responsibility. Going around in circles I abandoned eating in.
In balance on previous visits the service has been quick and precise. On all occasions the lobby staff are polite and helpful.
Would I stay at the Sebel again? Yes
Near the driveway entrance there is a great cafe, “The Sweet Bistrot”. A great place instead of the hotel buffet breakfast. Good coffee.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

The pool area is awesome. The rooms are large. We stayed on the top level and there is a great view. It was well priced. They even setup a cot for our baby and changed the sheets in the baby's cot every day. I would stay here again. There are options to park on the street and you don't have to pay until 8:30 am otherwise it is $20 per night to park at the hotel.

Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

I've stayed here a number of times over the last decade (as the former Cairns International & now as The Sebel Cairns). It has a lovely foyer, amazing buffet breakfast on the weekends and the rooms are large and comfortable.

Everything is clean & of good quality.

The staff service is quick and pleasant. Even the reception staff handle things very well. When we checked out - there must have been were 40 odd guests from a group checking out - all wanting to pay cash... A nightmare for them (along with some language barriers) - but they handled it beautifully and even managed to fit in our simple check out in between them as well - great work.

The hotel is right over the road from the Casino & on the edge of "downtown Cairns" so it is well positioned - but without the nightclub noise that inner Cairns can bring. (NB: all only 5 minutes walk away)

The King bed & pillows in our "standard room" was comfortable and we slept well.

Room service for Breakfast was on time and the food was reasonably priced and we ate it all (okay, one slip up here - bacon was too salty).

I gave this place 5 stars because there was nothing to fault, seriously.
It was just what you would expect from a good hotel.

For a 3 1/2 star or 4 star hotel - the 5 stars in this review are all deserved.

Room Tip: As always - ask for a high room.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights in a Harbour View room, 12th floor, 14th-17th Jan. Found the rooms to be clean, comfortable, extremely spacious, and quiet- at most we heard the odd door closing from other rooms and when in the bathroom, you could faintly hear a toilet flush. Otherwise no hotel noise bothered us in our room at all.

Beds were comfortable- got 3 good sleeps in a row which is unheard of for me! Bathroom was also very spacious- loved it! Also loved the way after a hot shower a section of the mirror never fogged up so could still use it for make up application! :) Hairdryer was one of those cheap hotel crappy ones, so if styling your hair is important, don't rely on the hotel one.

Pool area was beautiful- I am not much of a pool person, but for the first time in a long while I was content to stay by the pool for a few hours.

Service from staff of hotel was excellent. I had an issue with the elevator one night not going up to my floor and suddenly and quickly returning to the ground floor, making horrible noises as it did so (scared the life out of me) and as soon as I mentioned it to concierge, they got onto it right away- the next day it was working fine so it must have been fixed immediately. (have stayed in hotels in the past where a broken elevator stayed broken for days).

Something to remember- we had a late afternoon flight, checkout was 11am. We knew the hotel would hold our luggage for us, but didn't realise we would also have full access to the pool deck and gym and showers etc. thus we had left our shopping til the last day, when in actual fact we would have probably preferred to lounge by the pool. Next time!

Another thing to consider, when I booked I had requested a non-smoking room, however we were clearly on a smoking floor, as when we turned the airconditioner on for about 5 minutes there was a blast of cigarette smell. Plus people on balconies next to us were smoking. It isn't such a bother for me, I do prefer non-smoking but the small amount of time I smelt it wasn't such an issue. Its just worth remembering if you are super sensitive to the smell of cigarettes, as some people are- maybe double check when you are checking-in that you have a non-smoking room.

When I head back to Cairns I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms above the 12th floor have best view
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Southport, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

My wife and I found the staff to be polite although non-genuine with absolutely no engaging warmth in their responses when asked questions.
The Mountain View room bed mattress was hard and our rooms T.V. was old styled and the remote control volume didn't work.
As for the restaurant COCOS located in the hotels foyer, we dined there for an expensive seafood buffet that was tasteless with many dishes inedible in our opinion.
The head chef should taste his concoctions / meals before handing them over for patronage consumption!
The breakfast buffet was your typical hotel fair, but unfortunately for us and others the cornbeef was " off "/ bad. I immediately informed the staff of this problem
as this inexcusable oversight could have made holiday makers quite sick.
Disgusting coming from a so called 5 star hotel restaurant let alone any restaurant !
Finally, be aware this hotel charges for any and everything including internet/ wifi useage.
All in all our stay at this questionable 5 star rated hotel was disappointing!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Cairns Sebel between Jan 15 - 19th 2011. Overall we found the hotel to be very good value and standard. We stayed on the 12th floor in a harbor view room booked on the Discover Australia website (the best deal around).

Although the decore of the room was somewhat dated, the view from the balcony was lovely and the room was huge. We saw plenty of action - boats coming and going in and out of the marina, helicopter scenic flights, harbored yachts, foot traffic below, misty clouds over the mountains, bats, birds, and other hotel swimming pools.

The location is fantastic - within easy walking distance to good, affordable restaurants and pubs like Cest Bon French restaurant, PJ O'Briens, the Courthouse Hotel, Barnical Bills, and Cassa de Mezze Spanish restaurant. Woolworths is 100 meters away, the Casino directly across the road, the pier and lagoon about 500 meters.

The swimming pool area has well maintained decking and tropical gardens surrounding the dual kidney shaped pool bridged by a small walkway. There is a good sized spa and plenty of resting space. I saw the Pullman pool area from my balcony and the Sebel looks way better. We used the gym facilities several times and had them completly to ourselves.

Coco's seafood smorgasboard was excellent value for money. For $60 pp. they serve a three course meal of all you can eat fresh oystas, mortan bay buggs, crab, sushi rolls, seafood marinara, seared snapper, tiger prawns, slow cooked tender lamb, roasdt beef, etc ... plus soup and desert. We took our own bottle of wine from the Barossa Valley and they charged $10 corkage.

We were very happy with our Cairns accommodation for 4 nights. Couldn't be happier.

Room Tip: Harbor View is way better than Mountain View. Try and get a room from Floor 10 and above.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Pullman Cairns International? Share your experiences!