It is not in the centre of activities. It is a good 10 minutes walk to the activity hub - market, casino, the pier and the restaurants. But for the same reason it is quiet. But then Cairns is hardly a big city. Property is unassuming and plain. The lobby is just big enough with a few computers at one corner where one can use the paid internet. There is also a small outlet that stocks literally everything a person may need in an emergency and also offers tours for persons who like to do last minute reservations.
There are 3 lifts so one is always available without having to wait for long. It is a popular group hotel as it offers value for money. I am not sure how the normal rooms are because the room I was given appeared to be quite big. The room was well furnished having all the amenities one looks for. The cupboards were roomy with enough hangers, steam press and press board.
The toiled was clean and met the expectations. Only complaint was that the rooms had seen better days and now looked a bit tired. Hopefully the management is planning to renovate the rooms soon. There is a balcony with two chairs with a view of the sea. A great place to sit in the morning or late evening and enjoy the peace and calm while having a hot cup.
One problem that I faced was that the bathroom ceiling started leaking in the night so imagine my surprise when I woke in the morning to find the bathroom floor flooded. But it was soon repaired and then on did not face any re-occurance. The other is that there were a few missing bulbs. And remained missing during my complete stay.
The breakfast spreas was simple but wholesome. Though a bit of imagination and variety would have enhanced the experience. Not much for vegetarian except for the bread and cereals. The fruits were there but had no taste. Not clear why so.
There were two dishes (rice and curry) for the Indians but it would be better not to sample it. Apparently the chef must have be using some cooking book as guide. The complete spread was the same every day with no change in the dishes - quite boring to look forward if you are staying for more than 2 days.
Overall a good hotel with a great view. But the management to be serious regarding renovation before the property loses its charm.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Imposing, 7-story Multi-winged Resort Hotel situated on large single site on the Cairns Esplanade directly across from Trinity Bay ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, HotelTravel.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Rydges Tradewinds Cairns reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rydges Tradewinds Cairns Hotel Cairns
- Rydges Tradewinds Hotel Cairns
- Cairns Rydges Tradewinds Hotel