“Poor customer service and dated rooms decor” 2 of 5 stars

Novotel Cairns Oasis Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   122 Lake Street, Cairns, Queensland 4870, Australia   |
Ranked #36 of 66 Hotels in Cairns
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Poor customer service and dated rooms decor”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We didn't find this hotel attractive at all and it looks old compared to what they advertise. The person at the reception was not friendly and seemed to be bored.

We got the room and first impression was uncomfortable, the room had a communicating door so for security reason we went back to the reception.
The receptionist (another one) did not have any idea of the configuration of the rooms cause he gave us another room with the same problem and was not really happy to help at the first place. He said there was only one key to open those communicating doors and he had it at all time with him. He gave us attitude, became rude and started to argue with us.
I was really surprised cause that is definitely not the right attitude when you deal with customers. We were just concerned for our belongings and we were nice and respectful so we deserved tone treated the same. This was not about being demanding or fussy at all !

After a 30 mn of struggle, we finally got the room we were expecting... Not perfectly clean though but we decided to let it be and enjoy our week end.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Korean first
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

The location and facilities of this hotel are great. a The rooms are basic unless you stay on the top floor where you get a little extra room and comfort. The pool area is massive and the swim up pool bar is a nice touch with also a nice area for a casual pool side lunch.
negatives for this hotel are and i'm being picky, the pool water does not taste nice. the coffee machine used at breakfast barely taste better than the pool water and the internal and external grounds could do with some regular maintenance.
Otherwise 8/10

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Ballarat, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

The stay was good!
We got home from a day out and parked in the parking lot and waited for the lift while there were 2 housekeeping staff in the lift getting told off by their supervisor... The supervisor saw us but didn’t find it necessary to stop or to let us in the lift...awkward...
We were there for a week during 2 of the services the housekeeping forgot to replace the bathroom towels. Not a big deal and reception brought them straight to our room when we asked for them.
reception and tour desk staff were lovely!!
The dinner in the restaurant was very disappointing, but breakfast everyday was brilliant!
The location was perfect!!! walking distance to everything in Cairns!
We really did have a good stay and the pool was just perfect but there were just a couple little things!
I would go back to stay again for sure!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
GMNovotelCairns, General Manager at Novotel Cairns Oasis Resort, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
While it is great to read that you loved our central location and the large resort style pool, I am sorry to learn that the standard of service from our Houekeeping team was below our usual high standards. It is important that we provide our guests with a high standard of service and it is evident from your feedback that we failed to do so on this occasion. I wish to take this opportunity to apologize for any inconvenience caused.

I have shared your feedback with the resort team and they will take the steps necessary to address the issues you encountered.

We hope you will give us the opportunity to provide a higher standard of service the next time you stay at a Novotel hotel.

Kind regards,
Daylesford, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

The good things first - location. It's an easy walk to commercial areas, shopping and the Esplanade. The room was fairly spacious. Bed was very comfortable. Pillows were good at some stage but getting a bit lumpy now with age.

Checkin was perfunctory. When I got to my floor I was taken aback by the shabby appearance The hallway carpet looked like it hadnt been vaccuumed forever and the paint on the room doors was blistered and peeling. I wondered if I had come to the right hotel as this was not the usual Novotel standard!

The room was...at best could be described as tired, at worst - grubby. Cushions on the bed didnt feel clean and the carpet stained. Worse was to come - the bathroom decor was ancient and there was a very long black hair on the floor. Yuck! The balcony was ridiculously small with no furniture on it (there wouldnt be room). When I got into bed, the sheets felt old and worn. The aircon was reasonably quiet but had an annoying, sleep destroying rattle.

The next morning when I showered, I emerged with long black hair (I am blonde) stuck to me...it must have been all over the shower curtain. Revolting! The safe was locked shut so when I went to go out, I had nowhere to put my valuables. I called by reception on my way to breakfast to report both of these issues. No apologies forthcoming for the filthy state of the bathroom. I'm betting he'd had many complaints about poor housekeeping before given the generally unclean state of the property. The safe was fixed on my return from breakfast.

Breakfast could only be described as ordinary. A bright spot was the lady at the front desk of the restuarant who unlike the surly reception staff was bright, cheerful and welcoming. The shelves above the buffet were very dusty. The coffee machine broken and no alternative offered. The Pastries were the re-heated frozen jobs. Replenishment of the buffet was poor - on both mornings things needed replenishing - fruit one morning and the scrambled eggs dish was empty the next. That left someone like me who can only eat eggs and fruit for breakfast rather hungry

Room service -- I am on a strict diet so chose a soup described as low fat, healthy pea with mint. It had a thick sludge of oil around the perimeter. Healthy -- NOT! There was no obvious mint in it. The chicken and roquette salad was supposed to come WITH a tomato relish...there was a bucket load on the plate, drowning the taste of anything else. And I didnt quite "get" the sachet of commercial tomato sauce that accompanied the meal...how inappropriate!

The next morning, someone had made a half hearted attempt to vaccuum but at least 40% of teh debris that been there the day before was still there!

The finally straw was ten minutes BEFORE check out time of 11 am my phone rang and it was reception "reminding" me to check out. How bloody rude! I stay in hotels 2-3 times per week and I dont need reminding and I wasnt late. Someone needs to tell these people that guests have paid for uninterupted (!!) use of the room up until checkout time.

All in all, it was a very unsatisfactory stay, not at all the usual Novotel standard. I'll be back in Cairns next week but it will be a different hotel, for sure!

Room Tip: Its not worth paying extra money for a higher grade of room. Mine was plain and grubby. If this was...