“Loved it!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 66 Hotels in Cairns
Melbourne, Australia
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Fantastic place to stay. Nice big open rooms with excellent view over the Coral Sea. I didn't find the rooms dated at all though it looks as though the hotel is in for a referb.

Really can't beat the location, right on the Marina and only short walk to the esplande and casino.

Has access to an actual proper sized gym which was great for us.

Make sure you go down to Bar 8 from 5pm for happy hour . Views over the marina and mountains and is a very relaxing place to spend for pre dinner drinks.

Room Tip: Make sure you get an ocean view or marina view room. Worth the extra $
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (374)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

The valets were exceptional. After two days they received my car in the afternoon and prepared my car in the morning by addressing me by name without reference to my room number -- from memory. My personal sign of exceptional service.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Buderim, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

Arrived early afternoon and couldnt wait to get into the room I had booked with a view over the Marina. On arrival desk staff offer an upgrade with free canapes and drinks. Said I would have a look. Nice room but overlooking a busy street. An upgrade ???? I dont think so. Really soured my opinion of the hotel. Went back to the desk, refused the room and finally got what I had booked and paid for. Corridors on way to room musty and covered with mess from the room cleanups/changeovers for the day. Could really be handled better in my opinion. Once in our room it was great, the view and ambiance of the room all we had hoped for. Was only there for one night so did not use the rest of the hotels ammenities, but the pool area looked great, and the restaurants outside the hotel facing the marina are fabulous.

Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

I booked a 4 day Horizon Club Marina View Room. I had called a couple of times prior to arrival and spoke to direct to the Hotel on phone and was assured that the Marina View was as per confirmation paperwork sent to me through email "Overlooking the Marina" I had done all the usual things when booking, suppling my credit card details ect. When I arrived they swiped the card "which was a bit odd" they said there is not enough money, as I have a debt card I control how much money is in the credit side for security reasons and i had to make phone calls to change money from one side of the account to another which was a little degrading. I was held up and made to look like a fool in front of other guests. Then I was given my key card and was told I had room 45 the guy on reception said it's a bit of a walk but a nice walk. Well, we walked and walked and walked down a narrow hall way with no windows to the very end room and when inside the room the balcony overlooked a car park, a road and 2 footpaths with no boats or Marina to be seen at all. A ride on lawn mower going flat out around and around. I was with a friend who picked me up from the airport and we stayed in the room for 5 minutes and then decided to go to reception and asked to be moved into a Marina View Room like I had paid for. They said they had no rooms available and see what they could do for me tomorrow. I was moved to room 18 at around 3 p.m. the next day. I was very polite and did not complain about anything just asked for what I had paid for. On returning home the Manager emailed me and asked if everything was ok and said well we didn't charge you for the internet usage Well that was good because I didn't use the Internet the whole time I was there and It reads in the documentation that is was free anyway. I think they should have reimbursed me for the first night accommodation as I could have payed for a cheap hotel in town and got a better view than I did. I am still waiting to hear from the Manager for that reimbursement that is now 2 weeks ago. Over all Room 18 was a nice room with an amazing view. Room 45 had a car park view.

Room Tip: Don' except Room 45 if you paid for an Marina View Room
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Lyttelton, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

The position of the hotel is excellent, right by the marina, with excellent water views, and well positioned for access to the esplanade, marina and waterfront, also local shops and facilities. The room was large with both bath and shower. Plenty of mirrors but some of the wooden surfaces were scratched and worn. Toiletries selection good. The room itself was well equipped and had an outdoor balcony. We were in room 2109 which is right next to the lift shaft which ascends to the tower rooms. This was noisy within the room. Check in was good and smooth. We were disappointed on the second night that when we came back to our room at 4pm the housekeeping had not been done, but when requested this was done within a short time to a good standard. Staff were all generally friendly and helpful. Valet parking at $15 per day worked for us. Breakfast was included in our rate and was a good hot and cold selection well presented served either indoors or on an outdoor deck with a fabulous view of the marina. We rated the breakfast highly. Our two day stay here was generally good. The only negatives were the late housekeeping, the lift noise, and the rather dated carpets in the corridors. The pool area was good, although in July the pool was not really warm enough to swim in. The poolside area was clean and tidy, good modern clean sun beds and a pool bar. We would return.

Room Tip: Most rooms have water facing balconies,
port douglas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Overall an excellent hotel. Our room was spacious, quiet, clean and comfortable. The hotel staff were outstanding, friendly and welcoming. Our only disappointment was the dining room where all three of the meals ordered were overcooked, so much so that the waitress on her own initiative, took the battered fish off the bill. The chicken accompanying the ceasar's salad was very dry as was the crumbed chicken for the child's meal.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Cairns, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Great relaxing gardens, rooms inviting and different, love the shape of the rooms. Decor beautiful. Split levels easy to access. Service good, great food, overlooking the pier friendly and helpful staff.

Room Tip: Looking into the courtyard
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Been to Shangri-La Hotel, The Marina, Cairns? Share your experiences!