“Nice stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Cairns Harbourside

Save Saved
You added Mercure Cairns Harbourside to your Saves list
Mercure Cairns Harbourside
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   209-217 The Esplanade, Cairns, Queensland 4870, Australia   |
Ranked #15 of 66 Hotels in Cairns
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Nice stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

Everything was good about the hotel and the room the moment we entered. The sea facing rooms have an excellent view. The free bus service was on time and was even working on christmas, which is a one example of great service.
I was excited about tehshi's restaurant but was not happey with the service there. The chef forgot my wife's starters which we had ordered.
From a stay perspective the hotel is very good

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
MercureHsideGM, General Manager at Mercure Cairns Harbourside, responded to this review, January 5, 2012
Dear Abhishek R,

Thank you for your time in making comment on Trip advisor. I am pleased to here that you enjoyed the majority of your stay and that we were able to meet expectations. I have passed on your comments to our Executive Chef regarding the missing starters.

I can assure you this is not normal and something that we can address immediately.

Kind regards,

Shane Edwards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

Most enjoyable stay. Facilities, amenities and general layout quite pleasant. Staff attention and civility exceptional. Whilst all meals were to a satisfactory standard Christmas day lunch was a standout, ample variety, well displayed and balanced. Drink waiting and general service was again of high standard.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

We both dedided to upgrade to the ocean view room, which was fantastic. The view jsut remarkable. The room though was disappointing as it had no table and only one lounge chair, but very spacious. Bed & pillows were extremely comfortable. The dinner menu also a disappointment with very little variety of choices, so we did not dine there.The undercover car parking is very mimimal. Staff were very welcoming & effecient. The swimming pool very large aalong with the spa.Gardens & surrounding areas were very clean and well maintained.

Dear Accor traveller,

I thank you for your recent comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Cairns Harbourside.

It is great to here that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and that we were able to meet your expectations.

We will be reviewing our menu in the coming month so your comments are much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Southport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights at the Hotel. The Hotel is a classic 3 / 4 star business Hotel but comfortable and clean. It is a pleasant 30 minutes walk to the centre of Cairns along the beach but a complimentary shuttle is available every hour. We enjoyed our stay and would recommend the upgrade rooms with sea views.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

Hotel room is big and clean, facing the beach and ocean. Front Desk staff are really helpful and friendly (like co-ordinating reservation / pick-up). The location is a bit far from city centre. Take the complimentary shuttle bus, better not walking back to hotel at night (as certain part of the walk would be too quiet).

Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011 via mobile

I did have a lovely time here, however the lack of Accor service by some of the staff detracted from my experience a little. Except for the wonderful housekeeping staff, it seemed like everyone else did the least possible. The location wise, it was perfect for me - away from the main tourist traps, but close enough to stroll to in the morning, and of course the free shuttle bus is a godsend.
My room was good - reasonably high, overlooking the Coral Sea, but the soundproofing wasn't that great. I was woken one night by a couple having an argument at 2am! It ended about 5 minutes later, just as I was about to call down to reception. Damage was done though, I couldn't get back to sleep.
A very strange thing was the lack of decaf coffee beans at the cafe. I had looked forward to sitting in the cafe, relaxing over a couple of decaf lattes. I was informed that the best they could do would be a sachet of nescafe decaf and some warm milk. I was gobsmacked. I also passed.
The wifi in my room was very hit and miss. It would work, then it would drop out and wouldn't work in some areas of the room at all. When and where it did work, it was fast and well priced. For $15 I got 20 hours to use over my stay (5 days, 4 nights) which I felt was good value.
Again I want to throw praise on the housekeeping staff. I was in my room the first day she came around. She remembered my preferences for the next 3 days - always making sure I had enough tea and extra milk just turning down the bed vs putting new sheets on. She was friendly, accomodating and consistently did an outstanding job given the amount of sand I was constantly bringing back into the room.
I would stay here again if I was coming to Cairns, but have lower expectations.

• Stayed December 2011
Dear Taezar,

Thank you for recent comments on Trip Advisor and for your valued feedback. I am pleased to be able to pass your comments onto my Housekeeping team as they are sometimes forgotten when they meet and exceed guest expectations. With regards to the decaf coffee beans, I thank you for your comments. Your request is not a common request therefore I would suspect that the staff tried to accommodate your needs by offering the instant coffee with the heated milk similar to an espresso coffee. I have discussed decaf coffee beans with my F&B Manager to source is this is something we currently do not carry in stock.

Once again I thank you for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to Cairns.

Kind regards

Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

This hotel was very clean, with comfortable beds and pillows. I had an Ocean View room which was great, overlooking the pool and the Esplanade.

It was a nice walk into Cairns along the Esplanade and boardwalk (approx 20mins). There is a free shuttle bus into town every hour, if you are not keen on the walk.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. They assisted me immediately when I requested a room change, as I didn't want to be in a room with an ajoining room (due to the noise).

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Been to Mercure Cairns Harbourside? Share your experiences!