“Enjoyed our brief stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Coral Tree Inn

You added Coral Tree Inn to your Saves list
Coral Tree Inn
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   166 - 172 Grafton Street, Cairns, Queensland 4870, Australia   |
Ranked #25 of 67 Hotels in Cairns
Atlanta, Georgia
“Enjoyed our brief stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

We stayed in Cairns in July 2014, as only a getaway point to the Great Barrier Reef, where we stayed upon a liveaboard for 5 days. However, we enjoyed our 2 night stay at the Coral Tree Inn. The rooms were large, which was a nice treat for the 3 of us. I also liked the common area BBQ cooktop and the large tables near the pool. It was a nice place to sit and relax. The hotel also offers free wifi, but it has a limited amount of MBs that you can use. I also enjoyed the kitchen amenities the room had: small refrigerator, microwave, toaster, dishes, cutlery, etc. While the hotel is not located directly on the beach, close to all the restaurants/nightlife, Cairns is not a big city and it was an easy 10 minute or less walk to anywhere we wanted to go, including the train station to get to Kuranda.

The only small complaint I had is that there is currently a circus across the street in the park. We consistently heard very loud animal noises at the most random time, which we got a good laugh at. But if you're a picky traveler prone to complaining, this will probably annoy you.

We already recommended the Coral Tree Inn to some friends we met while traveling and would certainly be back.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Anand C, General Manager at Coral Tree Inn, responded to this review, August 17, 2014
Dear Nicole H,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for your kind comments. I am so pleased you enjoyed your experience and found our location, amenities and services to be so perfect. It is our top priority to ensure that all our guests leave feeling well looked after and we are delighted to read that you were happy with your choice of hotel and even recommended us to others.

We feel lucky that we get to see the beautiful animals each year when the circus is in town; however I have to agree that they were quite loud this year. But again most of us are just happy to see these creatures play right across the hotel! :)

Once again many thanks for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again soon

General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Brisbane
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

This is one of those situations where I'd like to be able to add another half star. What I liked about this place was some of the room features - a desk, a bathroom hook for my toiletries bag, a fan as well as air con, good pillows, wide screen tv, room safe, ironing board, hair dryer, proper clothes hangers, real soap, complementary toothbrush and what looked like reasonable quality shampoo, and plenty of hot water in the shower. It is also very unusual to find an entry door that can be fixed in the open position while you get your bags out and I really appreciated this. Everything was very clean and looked recently painted.

I'm not a big fan of ceramic floor tiles though and also not a fan of two beds pushed together with an uncomfortable crack down the middle. However the deal breaker for me was the incredible screeching plumbing system (hot tap I think) in the next room, and my own. I was woken (and kept awake) two times by the guests next door who had a marathon 2 hour stint in their bathroom one night then were at it again early the next morning. Earplugs were of no use, it was so intrusive.

The hotel has a pool, a a guest barbecue area and a comfortable reception area with the usual travel info and a few books for those staying a while. Interestingly I spotted a German edition of "Fifty Shades of Grey", however there was nothing I could see to take to my room to read, other than travel brochures. A newspaper or magazine would have been great. There is a restaurant open for breakfast and briefly for dinner, with indoor and outdoor dining options. Take care to check the closing time for dinner. The information in my room said it was open from 6pm to 8pm but when I arrived at 7.32pm they had already stopped taking orders. I returned to my room but couldn't get the phone to work. After mucking around with it and trying to look up instructions I eventually called reception, who apparently have to unlock it when you want to make a call. The hotel is not in an area with many shops or eateries nearby and I could only find one place that was open on a Monday night - Dominoes. Don't walk to it alone through the unlit park opposite - it's a safer option to go the long way.

Staff are pleasant but there is only one person on reception so be prepared to wait. Minor issues - my desk lamp appeared to need a new bulb, but wasn't fixed before I checked out 26 hours after mentioning it. Fortunately I had little paperwork to do during this visit. The fridge contains only 6 tiny serves of long life milk but the teacups are tiny anyway. You might like to notice and remedy the milk situation before you need caffeine in the morning - the shop near the dodgy park had only two containers of 1 litre fresh milk available. Way too much but at least fresh milk. I fail to understand why most hotels don't provide decent sized mugs to allow a proper cup of tea/coffee. My room had no convenient power points for the jug so it was necessary to shift around the trays in the bathroom to safely place the jug. None of these things are a big deal but it's all part of the experience.

Room Tip: My room on the eastern side had good curtains, but still couldn't block the bright glow of the s...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear zappagirl,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay with us.

We value your feedback and rest assured we have taken these comments on board.
We hope that we can welcome you back again soon.

Invercargill, NZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

We enjoyed our stay, Craig and the other man on reception were very friendly and helpful!! Breakfast was great and the pizza and wedges are great for dinner! Housekeeping could be better.. Wee walk to town (bit far for Mr 5!) so hiring a car is a good idea if staying here

Stayed July 2014
Anand C, General Manager at Coral Tree Inn, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Dear janh_invers,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for your stay at the Coral Tree Inn.

I will pass on your appreciation to Craig for the mention, I know this type of feedback to our team members is very important and makes them feel that they do make a difference to our guest’s experience.

I was also happy to hear that you enjoyed our full hot breakfast.

We thank you for your support and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

The price included breakfast which was reasonable quality buffet.
The hotel is at the northern end of the city centre 4 streets back from the Esplanade so we walked every where.
The room was reasonable. We were on the first floor and the hotel does not have a lift so you need to carry your bags.
I reported that the water was not very hot and I did not require any cold water but the temperature did not vary. Maybe this indicates the hot water is being pre-mixed with cold.
The receptionist recorded my comment and said he would have it investigated.
The staff were helpful.

Room Tip: The building is 3 levels and there is no lift so 1st and 2nd floors would be a problem if you have m...
Dear Geoff A,

Thank you for sharing your review on Trip Advisor.

All of us are pleased to know that you enjoyed the room facilities and breakfast at the Coral Tree Inn. I was happy to read that you enjoyed central location of the hotel.

Your appreciation of our team members being friendly and helpful is indeed very motivating and inspires us tremendously.

Generally we do not have problems with our hot water systems but after your comment I will review this with our maintenance team. The current temperature of water is set according to the OH&S regulations, however if this is becoming a concern for our guests in future, then we will look into resolving it.

Thank you and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!

Townsville, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014 via mobile

This motel is great value for money. Located in a quiet street several blocks back from the city centre with ample free street parking this is a good place to stay.

The rooms are old fashioned but are clean and there is a pool and barbecue for guest use. Rates can include a breakfast package with a selection of cold and hot items. This is very convenient when travelling with family or starting the day early as the kitchen opens at 6.30 till 9.30 am. It also provides dinners and room service at night.

Stayed July 2014
Dear 4boysdad,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Coral Tree Inn through TripAdvisor.

We are all delighted to note that you enjoyed the comfort, the location and the barbecue facilities during your short stay; all at an affordable price.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back when you next visit Cairns.

Brisbane Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Well situated, within walking distance of most areas, Very friendly and helpful staff.
Only six onsite parking spaces but all local parking is free and readily available. Rooms are clean and spacious, but can be noisy with people in the same corridors slamming doors. Breakfast? forget it, very poor and limited; it's only ten minutes stroll to the front where good food at a lower price is available.

Room Tip: the rooms upstairs are quieter and better views.
Dear ausbeastie,

Thank you for your feedback, it is important to us so that we can continue to improve our services and facilities to all our guests.

I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay here and found our hotel to be so centrally located. I am delighted to read such a positive response and thank you for appreciating our staff.

It is very unfortunate that you had to compromise with the noise levels in the night caused by other guests staying in the hotel. A night staff is always available in the premises outside the reception hours who can be contacted to notify such incidents.
We feel sorry if this has caused any inconvenience during your stay.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Coral Tree Inn.
Please do not hesitate to contact me or one of our staff members if you wish to come back and stay with us

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

Front desk very helpfull meet 3 who where on at differant times while we stayed there couldnt have been more helpfull.
Now for housekeeping that needs to be allot better,
when you enter room its smells ,lack of ventilation .
Maybe if door was left open at some times it might help or fan in bathroom as there was mould in shower, also floors not clean near bins as well. Very disappointing .

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Anand C, General Manager at Coral Tree Inn, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Dear 12Heather,

Thank you for taking the time to post feedback about our hotel.

I will pass on your appreciation to our staff, I know this type of feedback to our team members is very important and makes them feel that they do make a difference to our guest’s experience.

Generally we do not have problems with our rooms, however this year we have had a lot of nonseasonal rain causing mould issues and dampness throughout the region. I have addressed these issues with my Executive Housekeeper to review all the guest rooms and to ensure that these areas are addressed and resolved.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.