“Cheapest hotel ever and NOT in a good way.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mantra Esplanade Cairns

You added Mantra Esplanade Cairns to your Saves list
Mantra Esplanade Cairns
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   53 - 57 The Esplanade, Cairns, Queensland 4141, Australia (Formerly Outrigger)   |
Ranked #18 of 66 Hotels in Cairns
“Cheapest hotel ever and NOT in a good way.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

I am writing this review because I know that the hotel reads them. I am staying at The Mantra Esplanade now. I checked in this morning, so these are my first impressions. We all know how important those are.

The location is terrific! Would be hard to beat.

I thought the staff was nice. They were polite and helpful upon check in.

We just have a regular room. No kitchen or laundry. I was bummed to find out about the laundry. If you don't have a washer in your room, you have to go off site.

As previously mentioned, you have to pay extra for housekeeping. The thing about not having daily housekeeping is the concern about running out of toilet paper, clean towels, etc. As for the towels, there are exactly six in the room; two bath, two hand, and two face. That isn't much. You can get extras, but you have to pay for them! What?!?

If we run out of t.p., we have to pay to get more!! I have a serious problem with this. Toilet paper and towels are basic necessities that should be provided in reasonable quantities at no charge. It's one thing to charge for internet. We all know it is B.S. to do it, but everyone does. Six bucks for an extra towel though? Gimme a break!

As far as I know, there is no extra charge to flush the toilet.

This hotel is inexpensive, so I did not have high expectations at all. That said, I am disapointed with this place and would not recomend it to anyone.

• Stayed September 2012
mantraesp, General Manager at Mantra Esplanade Cairns, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear cruiserhead,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback.

The room description you have provided indicates you have booked a hotel room. Only one bedroom apartments have laundry and cooking facilities as advertised on all websites..

As advised on your welcome letter, there is a cost involved to replace all the bathroom linen. The competitive rate we offer does not include a daily service and part of a daily service includes changing bathroom linen.

There is no charge for extra toilet paper and you are correct, there is no charge for flushing the toilet.

As you are staying in house at the moment, if you would like to come to reception and speak to myself or Chris Shaw - Front Office Manager - to discuss the points you have raised further, we would be pleased to speak to you.

I look forward to meeting with you.

Gaye Coughlan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Christchurch
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

A great central location - Very well situated for walks along the foreshore, shopping, night market, dining and the marina. Very friendly and helpful front desk - "Thank You" Jennifer for helping to arrange accommodation for our stay at Port Douglas. Our room (301) was bright, clean and very comfortable and had all we needed for a most pleasant stay. Really enjoyed sitting out on the balcony in the early evening listening to the birds and watching the world go by and the 'fitness bunnies'. It might be worthwhile choosing an Esplanade apartment as those facing the city could be subject to some noise in the evenings from the bar area on that side of the building (as has been mentioned by other reviewers). Although the pool was not available, due to maintenance, it was lovely just to be able to walk across the road to the public outdoor swimming lagoon (about an acre of it) so no problem to have a swim before breakfast! One morning we were the only people in it!! A personal request that we had made prior to our arrival was met above and beyond our expectations. "Thank You" Manta Esplanade for your willingness to be of help - we had a wonderful 5-day stay with you and would definitely return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Joan M,

I am glad you arrived home safely taking wonderful memories of Cairns!

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us and I have passed your comments to all departments.

It was our pleasure to assist in providing you with a memorable holiday and hope we will see you again in the future.

Wellington NZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

This hotel is in a very good central location, near to the harbour and the town, with lots of good restaurants near by. We stayed last week for 6 nights in a city facing apartment and found the bed extremely comfortable and the apartment roomy with a good sized balcony.

However, there were a few things we were disappointed with, firstly that the pool was being upgraded in what I would have thought was one of the main tourism months, there were ants in the kitchen and bathroom and there were only two bath towels provided in the bathroom. In most apartments I have stayed in four towels are provided, so that when you are washing two, there are still two bath towels available, particularly in a tropical area where you often need to shower twice a day. Friends of ours staying at the same time only had a hotel room and as the rooms are not serviced (you had to go to reception and ask for more toilet paper) they found it difficult only having one towel each for a 5 day stay. We did wash their towels for them as we had a washer and drier, but I think it would be more acceptable to have 4 towels in each room as standard practice.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. Jennifer on reception was particularly friendly, helpful and efficient when booking our various day trips to Green Island, Kuranda etc.

Probably wouldn't stay here again, as there is a lot of accommodation to choose from in Cairns

Room Tip: Our friends had an ocean facing room and the view was amazing. An ocean facing apartment would be t...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
mantraesp, General Manager at Mantra Esplanade Cairns, responded to this review, September 16, 2012
Dear Linda F,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback concerning your stay with us.

I am pleased to hear that you found the location of the hotel and the apartment well suited to your needs.

I have passed your comments to Jennifer - it is always lovely to hear positive feedback and we take pride in our customer service.

Unfortunately, there is no good time to do hotel renovations but we chose the weeks we did as the surface had to remain dry. Quieter months for occupancy such as February which would be ideal for renovations such as these is also our wettest month!

Ants are a part of tropical living and turn up in the oddest places and the cleanest surfaces. We do have pest control every three months and ant baits in the rooms are updated regularly but they are persistent and resilient insects.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Geneal Manager
Sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

I had been looking forward to my stay for many months. I had chosen the Mantra ahead of other newer apartments, so was angry to hear on arrival that the pool was closed for renovation. A phone call prior to my stay to inform me, or some financial compensation, or even a mid-stay service would have gone some way to improving the situation. While the proximity of the lagoon may have led management to think this was not necessary, there is a lot to be said for the privacy, comfort, security and convenience of a hotel pool compared to a public lagoon.

Once I got to my room, I was very pleasantly surprised by the wonderful view over the lagoon, but very disappointed by the condition of the unit. As well as being very worn, with very marked walls, a dirty and faded sofa, and old blankets on the very soft beds, there was dust and grime on tabletops, rubbish on the floor from the previous guest, and hair in the bedroom drawers. Management was helpful regarding the vacuuming and saw this done shortly after I requested it.

The final thing to note would be the noise from the street below, including trucks, buskers, and music from nearby night clubs. Thankfully I had brought earplugs with me.

I would consider this a good option if you have kids due to the proximity of the lagoon, and the rather worn condition of the apartment, and are hard of hearing. Otherwise, I think there are better options close by.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear concerned011,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

I am disappointed to learn you were not contacted prior to arrival to advise of the pool closure. We did contact all guests for whom we had contact details with their booking. The bookings we did not have contact details for were through agents and we advised the agent who in turn advised the guest.

I am pleased to hear that the issues you had with the housekeeping was addressed promptly. I have passed your feedback to our executive housekeeper to address with her staff.

If you had advised you had issues with the ambient noise, we would have moved you to another apartment which is not so exposed to the street.

If you could please advise which apartment you stayed in, I would be grateful. Each apartment is individually owned and I can contact the owner regarding the sofa. My contact details are gaye.coughlan@mantra.com.au or 07 4046 4141.

Once again, my apologies for your less than ideal stay with us and that you did not leave with positive Mantra memories.

Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

We feel that this was the worst '4-star' hotel we have ever stayed in - and we're seasoned travellers! The main reasons I booked here were for the location and for the pool (our kids are both keen swimmers). On check-in, we were told that the pool was being refurbished. We complained that we weren't informed before our arrival and were offered a discount on our room rate, which was just as well considering the state of the room. The decor was old and dated, with peeling vinyl on the chairs, wooden furniture that was chipped and stained, and broken curtains. There was mould in the bathrooms and a dryer that didn't work (although this was replaced after I complained). There was also an awful smell being pumped through the airconditioning, which we were told came from the Indian restaurant downstairs. We asked to move rooms but the room we were offered had threadbare blankets on the ends of the beds. The smell did clear after a few days. While the bed was comfortable, we were woken before 6am every morning by the sound of trucks delivering to the restaurants downstairs. The staff were polite and professional but there were only a few who were friendly. The main thing this hotel has going for it is its location in relation to the esplanade, lagoon pool, and port.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
mantraesp, General Manager at Mantra Esplanade Cairns, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear fabfambris,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback concerning your recent stay with us.

I am sorry we did not contact you prior to your arrival regarding the closure of the pool for refurbishment. I realise the Cairns lagoon as an alternative is not to everyone's taste.

As discussed at the time, we were happy to find you accommodation at Mantra Trilogy or refund your booking or discount the rate you were paying.

We were glad you had bought to our attention the curry smell in the corridors as it was an intermittent issue we had thought was fixed but was rectified properly during your stay and has not reoccurred.

As the units are individually owned, I have passed your feedback concerning the apartment you stayed in to the owner for consideration. I am sorry that the alternative apartment you were shown did not suit. I have passed your comments concerning the blankets to our executive housekeeper to ensure quality checking is being carried out on a daily basis by the relevant staff. Had we known of your concerns about the early morning noise, we would have found you an apartment away from that end of the building for you to consider.

Once again I apologise that your stay at Mantra Esplanade was not the positive experience we wish our guests to have.

Geelong, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I stayed here last week and was very dissapointed. great location however ther pool was being refurbished and i wasnt told until check in, the room was so dusty i wrote 'clean me' on the tables so as house keeping would clean it. then there is all the extra fees you have to pay. $25 to have your room cleaned when it's not clean in the first place, $1 for a pool towel lucky they didn't charge as there was no pool, and a fee for extra bathroom towels or linen. I also had to wash the ants off my toothbrush each morning. thanks to Kylie in the activities centre next door she put me onto a few of Cairns secrets. The furnature was also old, faded and chipped. This place is in need of a make over.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
mantraesp, General Manager at Mantra Esplanade Cairns, responded to this review, September 9, 2012
Dear aking350,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. I have also repsonded to your facebook feedback.

I would like to apologise that you were not advised before you arrived about the pool refurbishment. We were mindful that while the lagoon was an alternative to using our pool, it did not suit all guests.

Had we known of your concerns when you arrived, we would have found you alternative accommodation at our sister property Mantra Trilogy or refunded your accommodation in full.

The units are individually owned so I have passed your observations of the furnishings to the owner of the unit for consideration.

The charge for pool towels is only applicable if the towels are taken off site. The room rate is 'room only' so does not include a daily service. The fee is charged if a guest requires a daily service.

Unfortunately in the tropics, ants prevail everywhere even in the cleanest areas. If you had advised you had an ant issue, a staff memeber would have come to your room and rectified this issue.

Once again my apologies for your less than ideal stay with us.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

The carpets were very stained, the lounge was in need of a good clean, the tv didn't work, the bathroom floor under the cabinet hadn't been cleaned for god knows how long. The lounge room furniture look like it had been purchasEd from a second hand store.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Dellis G,

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us.

I was sorry to hear you were disappointed with the hotel and your room.

I do need to know the number of your room so I can address the housekeeping issues you have raised with the relevant housekeeper for the floor. Could you please contact me on
07 4046 4141 or email gaye.coughlan@mantra.com.au.

Again, please accept my aplogies for the disappointment you have felt concerning your accommodation.

I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Gaye Coughlan

Been to Mantra Esplanade Cairns? Share your experiences!