“Luxury all the way in a perfect location” 5 of 5 stars

Pullman Reef Hotel Casino
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   35-41 Wharf St, Cairns, Queensland 4870, Australia   |
Ranked #3 of 66 Hotels in Cairns
Kansas City, MO
“Luxury all the way in a perfect location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2009

I could easily have stayed in the spacious 2-room King Deluxe suite the whole time, but I came to visit the Great Barrier Reef. The taxi driver told us on the way to the hotel that the Pullman had the best matresses in Cairns, and I believe him. The spacious, modern bathroom included a huge spa bath (probably big enough for 3) and by opening the louvered wall you could expose the spa to the main room of the suite and to the view of the outside. There was a small private balcony with a table and chairs. From the pillow menu to the minibar the Pullman is top drawer all the way. The only downside is that the excellent television merely highlighted the lack of any interesting programming on Australian TV! The first floor casino was a little rich ($20 minimum table bids) but very swank. They also had an interesting array of entertainment in the main bar.
I didn't eat in the hotel, preferring to go to the beachside eateries convienently located across the street, except for one very good room service meal the first night. Great, great, great!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
AdrianWilliams, General Manager at Pullman Reef Hotel Casino, responded to this review, December 17, 2009
Dear Beth,

We like this taxi driver! I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and experienced some local entertainment too. We showcase free live entertainment six nights a week in Vertigo bar, varying from jazz to blues to Latino to popular favourites. During November we also hosted performances by Australian legends Daryl Braithwaite and Dragon.

Adrian Williams

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Nieuwegein, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2009

After coming in from Tokyo, we really were hoping on a nice hotel, room and bath and we got more than we expected. In our 3 week holiday my wife and I only had 1 better hotel than Pullman Reef(Park Plaza in Bangkok), but the room was just great. Especially the closet that could open and you could connect the bathroom and the rest of the hotelroom, so one could even watch tv from the bath. How cool is that? But the bed was big and soft, staff were very helpful and we felt very welcome. Even though I lost a few Australian dollars in the casino, there was nothing that could ruin my mood during my stay here. Even the rental car parking place was very cheap. I thank tripadvisor for pointing this hotel out to us, and I can recommend it to everybody.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
AdrianWilliams, General Manager at Pullman Reef Hotel Casino, responded to this review, June 8, 2010
Dear Willem_ter_Haar

Thank you for your wonderful review. I am glad you enjoyed your time and are telling the world! Next time I hope you have better luck in the casino!!

Warm regards,

Malibu, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2009

I had never been to Cairns before and searched for a nice 4 star resort to stay in. I did NOT want to end up anywhere that wasn't fabulous... it's my vacation. I had originally planned and booked the Hotel Cairns based on the photographs on their website. Looks can certainly be deceiving! It's not as fabulous as it looks, and I am definitely a snob. I booked a King Suite there for $250.00 per night. After checking in I realized I'd been hoodwinked. So I called around to find a different hotel... everyone was booked! Panic. So I phoned the Pullman and spoke with a very helpful lady at reception and she found a room for me, but it was for the handicapped so the bathroom was situated a little different than normal. But, big deal! I wanted out of the Hotel Cairns... and at any price. Turns out that the room she put me in was BIGGER AND $20.00 CHEAPER! Bonus.

We arrived to a very clean and friendly lobby area, got immediately checked in, help with our bags... they parked our car for us and took our bags up to our room. And did it all with a smile and genuine appreciation that we landed safely and happily to a better hotel. They saved our trip in Cairns.

And what was really nice of them was that our check out time was at 11AM and our flight out of Cairns wasn't until 4:30PM, so they checked our luggage and let us lounge around by their spa, swimming pool and gym all equipped with shower facilities and bathrooms so we could shower before we got on the plane.

I'm so glad I decided to leave where I was and land in such a warm place that was super clean and had a glorious view of the harbor. I could even look out the balcony and see my countries Navy ship - The USS Blue Ridge - stationed on the docks. Bonus.

I highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Thank you for your positive comments. It is terrific to see you are open minded and accepted the offer of an easy access room. It is impressive to see the big ships dock in the harbour and the US Navy always livens it up!

Seattle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2009

While the rooms and facilities of this hotel were very good, we have never stayed in a hotel that wants to charge for things that are standard in 3-star hotels. For example, they charge $4/day to use the room safe, they charge 1.5% additional for anything charged to a credit card. This is a major issue for a supposed "5-Star" hotel. Would not recommend stayting here unless you enjoy being charged for everything. We were surprised to find they weren't charging to use the toliet paper!

Dear TravelGuys,

I’m sorry you were disappointed with the additional charges you incurred. Credit card fees are now becoming more common with hotels and other travel companies. On a more positive note to guests, as a result of the global financial crisis we offer great value to our guests through the many packages available. So now is the perfect time to take advantage of increased savings and better value!

UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

Describe the service you experienced
- The lady who served us wasn't the happiest person in the world. I thought we were staying in one of the top hotels in cairns, for sure we did not get the service you would expect.
- A relative had sent a gift for us to the hotel. The gift had arrived a day before we did, but the hotel staff did not forward this onto us. On the thrid day of our stay, we had a call from the relative asking if we liked the gift... we then had to ask the hotel staff if we had any parcels.. there was no apology for having to be prompted for our mail.
- The hotel website shows the hotel to be part of a casino, wildlife area, shows and restaurants. Yes all these are in the same complex as the hotel, but there are ZERO concessions if you are staying at the Pullman. Pullman's quote for our stay was "yes, but they are not part of our hotel".
- At check out, our bill had telephone calls for approx $25 that we had not made. Staff were happy enough to take them off - but do check your bill.

Tell us how you liked the room
- Room was of a good size, and if we poked our heads around the corner from the balcony, we could see the marina.
- Our room was not cleaned until 3-4pm daily, even though we had been out since morning and had left the 'clean my room' sign on the door.
- TV had poor reception.

Talk about the location & amenities
- Hotel is well located, only a few minutes walk from the marina and main check in point for many of the sea excurions.
- Restaurants, shops, laundrette (much much cheaper than the hotel) can all be found a gentle walk away.
- Not much of a gym. Swimming pool is a good size, and was nice and quiet. Not great views from the pool area.

Say what you liked best & least
- Best: Room and good powerful shower.
- Least: Service. Very expensive internet. Pullman quote: "yes, but they are not part of our hotel".

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your constructive feedback. As we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer your honest and comprehensive comments are extremely helpful. I am sorry for the service you received and have addressed staff accordingly.

Our guests in fact do receive a 10% discount in The Dome. Xtreme Illusions dinner and show packages are available for our Tamarind and Pacific Flavours restaurants. There are no discounts in Cafe China - it is extremely reasonably priced as it is but you can charge back to your room account.

You may be interested to know last week we upgraded our internet service and now provide complimentary internet access in our hotel lobby. Although this provides no assistance with your stay, we are very pleased to be able to offer this service.

Orange, Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2009

Our 5-nights stay was wonderful! Very comfy room and bed. The balcony was nice, even tho we had a partial ocean view, we still enjoyed hanging out there. The staff was very professional and attentive. They helped us book all 3 tours. One of the tour companies lost our reservation (we have a confirm. # and all), and the hotel was extremely apologetic even tho it was not their fault (and was on the phone with the company for a while trying to figure out what went wrong). No noise issue from casino for us. The location is excellent. Overall a very pleasant and relaxing stay. Would return if we could!

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
AdrianWilliams, General Manager at Pullman Reef Hotel Casino, responded to this review, October 20, 2009
Thank you for your positive review and we agree - it's a prime time of year to spend time on your balcony.

I'm glad our Concierge team could assist with your tours. They have exceptional local knowledge and it's great when guests take advantage of the complimentary tour booking service.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

Upon arrival we were very blown away by how splash, stunning the entry lobby was even though we had a bit of trouble driving in and deciphering hotel entry from casino entry. The staff @ reception were a bit stuff and not overly friendly. $10/day valet, but there is also a self park option if you aren't prepared to pay for valet. Upon arriving to room, we were blown away by the spectacular, well appointed room.

The Ocean View Deluxe King with Spa is highly recommended! We had a stunning view, even from the spa! However we straight away tried to phone to get a bottle of bubbles and just to warn you, the hotel is a bit short staffed. I was on hold for ages - finally I just phoned the front desk to get sorted. Once we got the bubbles it was heaven in the Spa Bath! Everything we needed to relax.

We ate at Tamarind - the asian restaurant at the hotel and it wad Divine! Highly recommend. The Casino on the other hand was small and with overly expensive blackjack tables - we were pretty disappointed with this aspect of the experience.

Also, the internet access is 50 cents/min with a $27 cap which is a bit pricey - we'd been looking forward to checking emails after being in the rainforest for 3 days.

In the morning we woke up for an early morning jacuzzi visit only to find a beautiful pool area with a cold jacuzzi. Also the sauna was not working. I would suggest the pool deck as a perfect sunrise spot!

Again, hard to get service to pick up the car upon our departure in valet and we also waited a while to check out. You shouldn't really have to wait for anything in a place like this.

On a side note, we skipped the hotel breakfast for a bite and a coffee at Perotta Cafe at the Art Gallery and it was superb! Highly recommend!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear World Explorers,

I’m excited to advise last week Tamarind was awarded Queensland’s Best Prestige Restaurant at the Queensland Hotel Association 2009 Awards for Excellence. This is a huge accolade as we were up against the best restaurants of the sunshine state.

You will be pleased to know that we have recently hired additional staff in front office.

We are also finalising a significant upgrade in our internet connection services which will allow for complimentary internet in our connectivity Lounge and true high speed connectivity with the option of broadband and WiFi connectivity in all guest rooms.

Adrian Williams

Been to Pullman Reef Hotel Casino? Share your experiences!