“Hilton Cairns and their travel office review” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Book Early & Save
Ranked #9 of 66 Hotels in Cairns
London, United Kingdom
“Hilton Cairns and their travel office review”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2008

This was an excellent hotel located right on the water front. The facilities were great and the staff extremely helpful.
We were for 3 days and found everything in order as you would from Hilton.

Unfortunately they have sub-let a booking desk for tours there (called The Tour Specialist), I strongly recommend NOT to use them as we had a nightmare with them. They completely mis-sold us a trip to the reef which pushed us way over budget and did not cover the the actvities / times they told us and then took no responsibility what so ever on it. I spoke to the Group Director for Sales and Marketing (for this company) but she was very rude, condescending, patronising and quite simply the worst example I have seen of customer service. I was going to make a complaint to her boss (the MD) but no joy there as it is her husband!

I did speak to the Director of Operations at Hilton (in Cairns) and she has been fantastic and has really tried to help but there is limited assistance Hilton could provide due to the sub-contract.

In conclusion, I strongly recommend staying at the Hilton Cairns but save yourself some money and a lot of headache and book your tours outside.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — The travel desk
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Korean first
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2008

The Hilton Cairns is being updated and the foyer is a nice reflection of the work occurring. Rooms are comfortable and clean, nothing flash. We stayed in a Superior King room and were happy with the service provided. Breakfast is vast and plentiful. The position is good, a close walk to all Cairns has to offer. Staff are helpful and courteous. There was a lovely view of the rainforest and the pool from the balcony of our room. The pool is great though slightly challenging to get to and not friendly to those with a disability. A nice spot for the price.

Stayed October 2008
Birmingham, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2008

We were visiting Australia to stay with family in Sydney. Doing a week in Cairns and wanted a nice hotel but which wouldnt bankrupt us.We visited in March so prices were obviously lower but couldnt believe how amazing this hotel was for the money. we thought there may have been some kind of mistake! Huge room and ENORMOUS bed and great service.practically had sole use of the "business centre" (essentially a smart office with two computer in) and the pool was lovely.admittedly from the outside the hotel doesnt look so great but we were really impressed by the reception area and dining area. the restaurant/grill in the hotel was fantastic and we ate there a couple of times.The only thing we found slightly disappointing was the breakfast, which we felt was overpriced for what it was. Great location and so close to loads of great restaurants. Would definitely recommend it.

• Liked — location and the bed!
  • Disliked — breakfast was a little disappointing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2008

We just got back from here and I wouldn't consider this hotel as a 5star. I seen some 5star so I know what to expect. I was disaapointed by it since i stayed at other hiltons like in hawaii and whistler. I agree it does need a facelift, but i expect it to be pretty nice for the $225 I paid. Had I read this site earlier, i think i would have went with mantra because that placed looked nice.

pros- staff was excellent, all very nice.
the internet was a plus, but didn't have a printer. the business center is under construction
location is right next to the great barrier reef terminal, and right next to the beginning of the esplande.
view of the ocean and mt for my side of the bldg

cons- needs a facelift. i was in 540, the carpet felt weird like soapy, had a distinct odor, tube tv that was fuzzy on some channels

don't get me wrong, i loe the hilton brands so i booked them right away without looking around (like this site!!!), but next time i will check here.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2008

Just returned from 5 nights at this property while attending a conference in the convention center. Despite some of the more negative older reviews I must agree with the newer ones to say that my stay was very nice with essentially no problems. Others have noted that the rooms are showing some age although I found my accomodation (5th floor) to be perfectly fine. No insects at all (however some colleagues staying at other upscale hotels did have some sightings). Yes, breakfast is expensive (also noted by my colleagues at other hotels) but no shortage of other nearby options. All in all, I found my stay here to be quite pleasant and would book this hotel again for a future stay with no hesitation.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2008

I agree with LyleSF's comments about this hotel. Over the years I have stayed at a handful of Cairns hotels. Based on these experiences, I must admit I was pleasantly surprised with the Hilton.
While the rooms definitely need a major facelift, the view from our waterfront room on the fourth floor was just what the doctor ordered. I instantly felt like I was on a tropical island, even if just for one night.
The big difference between this and other big hotels in Cairns was the service. I could not fault any of the smiling staff. They must have great training or good mentors but the staff here were on par with the best big city hotels. My only criticism was the "best" local restaurant that was recommended looked a bit dodgy (on the rowdy backpacker Esplanade) so we steered clear of it and had dinner at nearby Tamarind, which was peaceful with lovely staff and food. I suspect the better restaurants in the region are further north - I didn't have much luck when I googled Cairns best restaurants.
I had a great night sleep on the comfy beds and the room service food was impressive. I had the grilled salmon and cheese platter.
The bathroom had seen better days and the water pressure in the shower could have been better. The wine, or lack of it, in the mini bar could have been more interesting and not so expensive. My advice would be to find a local bottle shop and BYO rather than pay $11.50 for a tiny bottle of Jacobs Creek.
There are better looking and newer hotels in this convenient area; however, if I was given a choice, I'd choose service over looks anyday. Thank you to all the staff who were so friendly, helpful, and efficient.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — The bathroom
  • Stayed September 2008
Auckland New-Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2008

My wife and I stayed 2 nights in the Premier Suite as a treat for the start of our holiday and we both loved it. The room (930) is on the top floor and has great views of the inlet in Carins. The room is huge with a large dining room and lounge, kitchenette and separate bedroom. There is a main bathroom with spa bath and walk-in shower (biggest we have ever had) and a separate toilet/basin bathroom just off the enterance. All the furnishings were really modern (new carpet, 2 huge flat screens and great bed) and it was extremely clean. Obviously this room is quite a bit dearer than the other rooms but it was definately worth it. The service was great and the executive club breakfast was of a good standard. It was a great start to the holiday which wasn't matched by anywhere else after.

• Liked — Service and quality room
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hilton Cairns? Share your experiences!