“Very good, clean, close to town and waterfront...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Discovery Cairns

You added Discovery Cairns to your Saves list
Discovery Cairns
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   183-185 Lake Street, Cairns, Queensland 4870, Australia (Formerly Comfort Inn Club Crocodile)   |
Ranked #38 of 66 Hotels in Cairns
Tauranga, New Zealand
“Very good, clean, close to town and waterfront...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

Stayed here a week recently......good service and price (internet deal)...close to downtown cairns (within walking) and waterfront. Restaurant very good, Restaurant higher price but good food and service. Rooms clean and well serviced...Reception very helpful and pleasant....The bed are firm

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Heather-in-accounts, Operations Coordinator at Discovery Cairns, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Hello Shelley R, thanks for your nice, short, sharp review. You stayed a week and we enjoyed having you. You liked our service, price, location, restaurant and firm beds – what more can we ask for!

Lan’s Restaurant is run independently from us and we have no involvement or control over the food or pricing, we just co-share the premises. Most dishes are quite decent servings and come in around the $20 mark for a main. I think that seems quite good really from what I see – it’s cooked fresh and not sitting in a Bain-marie, but then don’t eat out a lot… in fact, my Wheelie Bin goes out more than I do! Our regular corporate guests seem to love it and eat in there weekly, so I guess it must be reasonable.

Thanks, Heather

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights 1 on way to the daintree and - on the way back. First night was a bit noisy upstairs near the pool, second night ground floor away from the pool was whisper quiet.

The place is spotless and has everything you will require from basic motel accommodation. Friendly efficient reception who were helpful and allowed us a later check out which was much appreciated. There was no deodorizer smell which I was grateful for. I would have preferred not to have a container of sand for butts outside my ground floor unit but im guessing smokers would appreciate that. I thought if a smoker lit up outside my room i wouldnt have been pleased.

Good value basic spotless motel accommodation 5 minute walk from the esplanade.

Room Tip: Ground floor away frim the pool. There is no elevator so if mobility of tricky ask for ground floor.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Heather-in-accounts, Operations Manager at Discovery Cairns, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Hi there KandNAustralia, thanks for your review. Glad we suited your needs either side of your Cape Trib visit.

I reckon your first visit might have coincided with our teenage American group. Things did get a little noisier than usual for a few days there – I’d forgotten what it’s like to have hormones. I even ran around with a butterfly net trying to catch some; didn’t work sadly.

‘Spotless’ is a great comment, housekeeping will be proud and ‘friendly, efficient reception’ well the boys must have tipped you for that one but thanks anyway.

We do have a few ashtrays scattered around the property to encourage smokers to butt-out in them and not the garden; the gardener’s pet hate is a butt in his pot plant – unless it’s a nice butt of course!

Seriously, thanks for the review. Come again and stay for more than a night.
Mission
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

The room we were put into had rust and mould on the screen and smelled so musty that my travelling companion had trouble breathing immediately. We were moved to another room, slightly better, but decided to check out and find better accommodations. The "motel" ('resort' is a stretch beyond anyone's imagination) is old, tired and the staff are totally uncooperative. You will be charged for changing bedding, refilling the soap dispenser and multi purpose dispenser in the shower area, as well as towels to be used at the pool, etc. In other words anything beyond a bed will cost you extra. For just a few dollars more per night we got a room with an oceanfront view in a lovely hotel on the esplanade.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Heather-in-accounts, Operations Coordinator at Discovery Cairns, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Hello Sherri M, I have been ‘excitedly’ waiting for your ‘review’ since you ‘threatened’ us with it on your afternoon of check-in.

The fact is your travel agent booked a budget room with us which was not what you expected. All you needed to do on arrival is state that you were expecting a four-star property, not a budget one, and all would have been fine; you could have relocated to another property with our blessing. As it was (much to our delight) you left us the following morning.

Martin, who was unlucky-enough to be on reception for your arrival, kindly room moved you, tolerated your carry-on and over-looked your lack of apology regarding the misplaced room-keys in a very patient manner from what I could see. Although I was present, I was unable to assist Martin as I was too busy fantasizing about hitting you across the head with one of our guest umbrellas (which by the way are free!).

Your letter to the travel agent and what you have claimed above have proven one thing to me, you have missed your calling as a fiction writer – you’d make an excellent one!

Now if only there was a ‘Guest Advisor’ site where I could post “worst guests we’ve experienced” that would be fair! But there isn’t (yet).

Cheers, Heather
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

The hotel is in a good, convenient location, it is within walking distance of Cairns Esplanade and to see the flying foxes cohabiting in the trees and 2 blocks from Shopping Centre/Tourist areas... The room offered all that we expected, air conditioning, bar fridge, milk, tea and coffee and a comfortable bed, TV, wardrobe and 2 small chairs, got all the basics, A safe was available for a small extra fee.
Plenty of places to eat and drink in town, about ten minutes’ walk away. The Reception was good and the staff very friendly, helpful and welcoming. There was housekeeping, every day we returned to a freshly made bed and items restocked and the rooms are clean.
We loved our stay and would definitely return in the future

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello JulieAndrew2013, thank you for your review, it’s much appreciated. I am glad you found our location suitable for your needs. The fruit bats are pretty cool – smelly, but cool to watch both day and night. I am glad too that you found the room suitable for our budget price and also that you found our staff friendly. We try and usually reception has a great vibe with people coming and going with a few laughs along the way. Can’t wait to have you back! Many thanks again, Heather
Brisbane
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

I had read some good reviews and decided to give this hotel a try. It's a decent walk from the action in the Esplanade and CBD but not too bad if it's not raining, which it was when I stayed. The hotel has Lan's Vietnamese restaurant operating within it's premises, and rooms located along the side and back of the property on two levels, and locally rented apartments next door (a bit noisy on the nights I stayed).

Upon arrival the young man at reception was very pleasant and helpful, offering a map and explaining local attractions, and also kindly lugging my very heavy bag upstairs to my room on level two. Due to the hotel not having an entry ramp (that I could see), I had to leave it on the footpath whilst waiting inside to check in.

My immediate and lasting impression is that the hotel is clean and neat, and that the bed and pillows were of good quality for my preference. However, it's a no frills kind of place and for me, lacked some comfort factors. Mostly small things, but nonetheless enough to add up to an ordinary experience, even though the price was not inflated as it often is in Cairns. "You get what you pay for" is usually the case.

What was "ordinary" was the absence of an ironing board and iron in the room. Not even available from reception. Instead there was a guest laundry with a fixed, cramped ironing board, nowhere I could see to hang ironed garments while you ironed the rest, and in any case, no hangers in the room which could be detached and used. With four garments to iron, I had to make four trips up and down.

Whilst the bathroom boasted a huge mosaic tiled bath it looked uncomfortable and uninviting and would have taken an age to fill it. There was no facecloth or tissues available, and the candy coloured, cheap overly fragranced dispenser soap fixed to the wall reminded me of some dodgy places I have stayed in Asia.

Suitcase storage was in the wardrobe, and didn't work well for me, it being very awkward to open it and locate something. The orange plastic chair was better than none at all. The floor was ceramic tiles which has no comfort at all, and you need to have shoes on the whole time if you don't want you feet to be filthy within a few minutes.

I did appreciate that the pillows weren't overly stuffed, that the curtains appeared fresh and new, as did the paintwork, the towels were "scratchy" which I love, and that there was a choice of overhead fan or air conditioning. Even though the "tick tick" of the fan woke me in the early hours, it's always good to have an option of natural air. There was a comprehensive hotel "compendium" with all the information a visitor needs. Wifi was available but was too expensive for me to take up on it.

Only four small milk sachets per day are provided, but there are two packs of complementary biscuits. The tv worked just fine but as a business traveller, a larger table/desk would have been appreciated. If two people were eating in the room, one of them would have to balance their meal on their knee.

I did take a standard room so perhaps the superior rooms had more comfort factors.

I didn't realise it was raining until I checked out, and with no apparent sheltered way to reach reception, or the taxi without getting wet, I had to walk through the rain with my bag and again leave it on the footpath (in the rain) as I waited my turn. It was impossible to avoid the deep puddles which had formed in the undulating hotel driveway, so my leather shoes were immersed over my toes as I crossed to reception. Permanently damaged, actually.

Room Tip: For easy access, ask for a room on the ground floor. You may get more noise though.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Heather-in-accounts, Operations Coordinator at Discovery Cairns, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Hi Zappagirl; thanks for your novel, oh I mean review, it’s awesome and very comprehensive, you write like I talk (and write), a lot!

June has been soggy to say the least and we’ve had the wettest month for 12 years! Our umbrellas have definitely been working overtime.

I am surprised to hear that you had noisy neighbours and tolerated it; call the night manager next time – as per your arrival information – and he’ll do his thing. He doesn’t hear everything; he has hairy ears!

What! You got Porterage? We’ll have to put the rates up if that continues to happen! I hope you know you do have to be VERY good-looking to get that service currently; either that or a jolly BIG tipper!

As with most older buildings, this place was definitely designed by a man. I think a small ramp would be an asset, even though there are only 2 small steps to reception, it would definitely assist our gorgeous, petit Japanese girls with their over-sized suitcases. I often wonder if it’s just makeup and clothing in there or a kangaroo to smuggle home? Generally, people either bring their suitcases into reception (for luggage storage) or sit them at the door. There’s only a glass panel between us and the bags and it really is quite safe. As fore-mentioned, the size of the suitcases that come in and out of here are astounding; it would take a tall, handsome, muscular, Ronaldo-looking hunk-of-spunk to run anywhere with them and if that ever happens, he won’t get far, we’ll all be chasing him but not for the suitcase! And of course the other reason they’re safe is that the out-going bags are usually full of ‘dirty’ laundry with a touch of ‘fragrance-de-tropicale’ – probably only attractive to a mosquito.

Well as you say, "You get what you pay for” and I agree that’s true in all things in life. We find that generally folks go for the cheapest in everything (and that’s fine – I cut thin-sliced bread in halves horizontally myself) and expect the most outstanding rooms. We do have 16 lovely Superior rooms as well which are very popular with our regular corporate travellers and they don’t cost much more! These rooms have their own ironing boards, irons (this activity should be banned on holiday), sofas, Pay TV and pool views included.

Our standard bathrooms are ‘retro’ with a ‘70’s’ flair (like me and there’s still life in me yet) and yes the baths in some are square and tiled – a tropical thing from that era. I had one in a house several years ago. While it was great for the kids (as they had lots of room), it wasn’t great for lounging in, but they weren’t designed for that I guess, just washing in! You really were lucky with the candy coloured soap, usually it’s just white; must have been a limited edition? Again, facecloths and tissues are in our Superior rooms and not the Standard/Budget ones.

There are suitcase storage shelves in all wardrobes and there is also plenty of hanging space in the wardrobes plus drawers either side of the bed for your undies. Again, the Superior rooms do have a big soft couch for just a few more dollars. I am not sure about the filthy floor you mentioned; it would have been vacuumed and mopped prior to your check-in – perhaps you were horse-riding or something exciting like that (sure beats ironing) and didn’t wipe your feet? Tiles are most popular in North Queensland and it’s very rare for our homes to have carpet and those folks that do have it, often wish they didn’t - it’s hot, tends to smell musty over time and if it’s patterned it’s hard to see a python on it when they slip inside the house, as a friend of mine discovered a few years ago! I must admit I was confused when you wrote, “The floor was ceramic tiles which has no comfort at all” I don’t know what you do on your floor where you come from but we just walk on ours – although… if I was to catch Ronaldo?

We have had people say, the beds are too soft, the beds are too hard, the beds are just right, the pillows are too soft, the pillows are too hard, the pillows are just right - it leaves our heads spinning and I feel sorry for poor old Goldilocks! You can’t please all of the people all of the time but if you please most of the people most of the time then that’s just bonza - we aim for an achievable ‘bonza’.

Sorry to hear about your shoes - you do learn when you live in the tropics, that you don’t spend money on shoes or expensive leather items as they rot in the humidity and you often get caught in the rain. A true local will have both work and dress thongs - but as my mate who is wheelchair bound regularly tells me, “If that’s all you have to whinge about in this World, then you ain’t doin’ too bad!”

Yes Zappagirl, you did take a Standard room and yes our Superior rooms do have more comfort factors - you can’t purchase a V’dub and expect it to perform like a Ferrari.

Thanks again, I enjoyed reading your review and hope you got a good look at Cairns and had a wonderful stay. Heather
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

Great Location, clean, got all the basics! Superior rooms are a good size, have all the basic amenities.... 2 swimming Pools... Breakfast is served in Restaurant attached.
Located 2 streets from northern end of the Esplanade. 2 blocks from Shopping Centre/Tourist areas. Wifi is not free. Discovery run their own Tours, other Tours pick up. Vietnamese Restaurant attached, quite nice...other eateries within walking distance. Staff are pleasant and helpful. It's not a resort, but it is a value for money Hotel..... Maybe more like a Motel :)

Room Tip: Superior Rooms are Bigger, better, over look the main pool and are in a quiet area.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Heather-in-accounts, Operations Coordinator at Discovery Cairns, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Hi there ChezmossAustralia and thanks for taking the time to write a review.

It’s great that you liked our location. I see you had a Superior room – good on you – they are a little flashier and comfier! I see you found the pools, the restaurant and best of all you found us helpful! No we’re not a resort - that is true - we don’t claim to be, we just claim we’re budget-friendly, neat and home-away-from-home.

I hope you get a chance to come back some time; we’re not actually near the northern end of the Esplanade – closer to the middle of it. The Esplanade is quite long really (it takes me half an hour to walk it) with the ocean-front pathway being quite delightful at any time of day. For fitness gurus, they can walk, jog, run and even workout on the fitness stations along the way (which are free and provided by the Cairns City Council).

For those Google’ing us, we are just in from ‘Muddies Playground’ which is awesome and anyone who has young kids shouldn’t miss it. On a warm day it’s great for the kids in their swimmers, with water-spouts to run through as well as general playground bits and bobs. There even fish and chips available for mums and dads too. Thanks again, Heather
Vantaa, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

Clean and big rooms. No free wifi, but two pools and a restaurant in a premesis. Some rooms are directly in front of pools. 10 minutes walk to city centre. Quiet location and friendly staff, who can book tours for you.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Heather-in-accounts, Operations Coordinator at Discovery Cairns, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Dear Xinnam, thanks for your review. I am glad you found the rooms suitable and sizeable for your needs. No that is true, we don’t have, nor do we advertise free wi-fi and the reason is that if we offered all the optional extras that are available free, we wouldn’t be able to offer the awesome prices that we do for our rooms. Yes, we’re not far from anything really – 305m east to the Ocean and 800m south to the Mall. Going a stroll north, there’s the hospital, Cock and Bull Sports Bar and other restaurants too! I am also glad you found us friendly – we do have to have something going for us as individuals I suppose, as the entire team here were hit by the ugly stick at birth! Cheers, Heather

Been to Discovery Cairns? Share your experiences!