““Great Location, at the bargain price in Cairn for the budget!”” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Inn Discovery Cairns

You added Comfort Inn Discovery Cairns to your Saves list
Comfort Inn Discovery Cairns
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   183-185 Lake Street, Cairns, Queensland 4870, Australia (Formerly Comfort Inn Club Crocodile)   |
Ranked #37 of 66 Hotels in Cairns
Perth, Australia
““Great Location, at the bargain price in Cairn for the budget!””
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

The hotel is in a good, convenient location, it is within walking distance of Cairns Esplanade and to see the flying foxes cohabiting in the trees and 2 blocks from Shopping Centre/Tourist areas... The room offered all that we expected, air conditioning, bar fridge, milk, tea and coffee and a comfortable bed, TV, wardrobe and 2 small chairs, got all the basics, A safe was available for a small extra fee.
Plenty of places to eat and drink in town, about ten minutes’ walk away. The Reception was good and the staff very friendly, helpful and welcoming. There was housekeeping, every day we returned to a freshly made bed and items restocked and the rooms are clean.
We loved our stay and would definitely return in the future

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Heather-in-accounts, Operations Coordinator at Comfort Inn Discovery Cairns, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Hello JulieAndrew2013, thank you for your review, it’s much appreciated. I am glad you found our location suitable for your needs. The fruit bats are pretty cool – smelly, but cool to watch both day and night. I am glad too that you found the room suitable for our budget price and also that you found our staff friendly. We try and usually reception has a great vibe with people coming and going with a few laughs along the way. Can’t wait to have you back! Many thanks again, Heather

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Brisbane
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

I had read some good reviews and decided to give this hotel a try. It's a decent walk from the action in the Esplanade and CBD but not too bad if it's not raining, which it was when I stayed. The hotel has Lan's Vietnamese restaurant operating within it's premises, and rooms located along the side and back of the property on two levels, and locally rented apartments next door (a bit noisy on the nights I stayed).

Upon arrival the young man at reception was very pleasant and helpful, offering a map and explaining local attractions, and also kindly lugging my very heavy bag upstairs to my room on level two. Due to the hotel not having an entry ramp (that I could see), I had to leave it on the footpath whilst waiting inside to check in.

My immediate and lasting impression is that the hotel is clean and neat, and that the bed and pillows were of good quality for my preference. However, it's a no frills kind of place and for me, lacked some comfort factors. Mostly small things, but nonetheless enough to add up to an ordinary experience, even though the price was not inflated as it often is in Cairns. "You get what you pay for" is usually the case.

What was "ordinary" was the absence of an ironing board and iron in the room. Not even available from reception. Instead there was a guest laundry with a fixed, cramped ironing board, nowhere I could see to hang ironed garments while you ironed the rest, and in any case, no hangers in the room which could be detached and used. With four garments to iron, I had to make four trips up and down.

Whilst the bathroom boasted a huge mosaic tiled bath it looked uncomfortable and uninviting and would have taken an age to fill it. There was no facecloth or tissues available, and the candy coloured, cheap overly fragranced dispenser soap fixed to the wall reminded me of some dodgy places I have stayed in Asia.

Suitcase storage was in the wardrobe, and didn't work well for me, it being very awkward to open it and locate something. The orange plastic chair was better than none at all. The floor was ceramic tiles which has no comfort at all, and you need to have shoes on the whole time if you don't want you feet to be filthy within a few minutes.

I did appreciate that the pillows weren't overly stuffed, that the curtains appeared fresh and new, as did the paintwork, the towels were "scratchy" which I love, and that there was a choice of overhead fan or air conditioning. Even though the "tick tick" of the fan woke me in the early hours, it's always good to have an option of natural air. There was a comprehensive hotel "compendium" with all the information a visitor needs. Wifi was available but was too expensive for me to take up on it.

Only four small milk sachets per day are provided, but there are two packs of complementary biscuits. The tv worked just fine but as a business traveller, a larger table/desk would have been appreciated. If two people were eating in the room, one of them would have to balance their meal on their knee.

I did take a standard room so perhaps the superior rooms had more comfort factors.

I didn't realise it was raining until I checked out, and with no apparent sheltered way to reach reception, or the taxi without getting wet, I had to walk through the rain with my bag and again leave it on the footpath (in the rain) as I waited my turn. It was impossible to avoid the deep puddles which had formed in the undulating hotel driveway, so my leather shoes were immersed over my toes as I crossed to reception. Permanently damaged, actually.

Room Tip: For easy access, ask for a room on the ground floor. You may get more noise though.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Heather-in-accounts, Operations Coordinator at Comfort Inn Discovery Cairns, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Hi Zappagirl; thanks for your novel, oh I mean review, it’s awesome and very comprehensive, you write like I talk (and write), a lot!

June has been soggy to say the least and we’ve had the wettest month for 12 years! Our umbrellas have definitely been working overtime.

I am surprised to hear that you had noisy neighbours and tolerated it; call the night manager next time – as per your arrival information – and he’ll do his thing. He doesn’t hear everything; he has hairy ears!

What! You got Porterage? We’ll have to put the rates up if that continues to happen! I hope you know you do have to be VERY good-looking to get that service currently; either that or a jolly BIG tipper!

As with most older buildings, this place was definitely designed by a man. I think a small ramp would be an asset, even though there are only 2 small steps to reception, it would definitely assist our gorgeous, petit Japanese girls with their over-sized suitcases. I often wonder if it’s just makeup and clothing in there or a kangaroo to smuggle home? Generally, people either bring their suitcases into reception (for luggage storage) or sit them at the door. There’s only a glass panel between us and the bags and it really is quite safe. As fore-mentioned, the size of the suitcases that come in and out of here are astounding; it would take a tall, handsome, muscular, Ronaldo-looking hunk-of-spunk to run anywhere with them and if that ever happens, he won’t get far, we’ll all be chasing him but not for the suitcase! And of course the other reason they’re safe is that the out-going bags are usually full of ‘dirty’ laundry with a touch of ‘fragrance-de-tropicale’ – probably only attractive to a mosquito.

Well as you say, "You get what you pay for” and I agree that’s true in all things in life. We find that generally folks go for the cheapest in everything (and that’s fine – I cut thin-sliced bread in halves horizontally myself) and expect the most outstanding rooms. We do have 16 lovely Superior rooms as well which are very popular with our regular corporate travellers and they don’t cost much more! These rooms have their own ironing boards, irons (this activity should be banned on holiday), sofas, Pay TV and pool views included.

Our standard bathrooms are ‘retro’ with a ‘70’s’ flair (like me and there’s still life in me yet) and yes the baths in some are square and tiled – a tropical thing from that era. I had one in a house several years ago. While it was great for the kids (as they had lots of room), it wasn’t great for lounging in, but they weren’t designed for that I guess, just washing in! You really were lucky with the candy coloured soap, usually it’s just white; must have been a limited edition? Again, facecloths and tissues are in our Superior rooms and not the Standard/Budget ones.

There are suitcase storage shelves in all wardrobes and there is also plenty of hanging space in the wardrobes plus drawers either side of the bed for your undies. Again, the Superior rooms do have a big soft couch for just a few more dollars. I am not sure about the filthy floor you mentioned; it would have been vacuumed and mopped prior to your check-in – perhaps you were horse-riding or something exciting like that (sure beats ironing) and didn’t wipe your feet? Tiles are most popular in North Queensland and it’s very rare for our homes to have carpet and those folks that do have it, often wish they didn’t - it’s hot, tends to smell musty over time and if it’s patterned it’s hard to see a python on it when they slip inside the house, as a friend of mine discovered a few years ago! I must admit I was confused when you wrote, “The floor was ceramic tiles which has no comfort at all” I don’t know what you do on your floor where you come from but we just walk on ours – although… if I was to catch Ronaldo?

We have had people say, the beds are too soft, the beds are too hard, the beds are just right, the pillows are too soft, the pillows are too hard, the pillows are just right - it leaves our heads spinning and I feel sorry for poor old Goldilocks! You can’t please all of the people all of the time but if you please most of the people most of the time then that’s just bonza - we aim for an achievable ‘bonza’.

Sorry to hear about your shoes - you do learn when you live in the tropics, that you don’t spend money on shoes or expensive leather items as they rot in the humidity and you often get caught in the rain. A true local will have both work and dress thongs - but as my mate who is wheelchair bound regularly tells me, “If that’s all you have to whinge about in this World, then you ain’t doin’ too bad!”

Yes Zappagirl, you did take a Standard room and yes our Superior rooms do have more comfort factors - you can’t purchase a V’dub and expect it to perform like a Ferrari.

Thanks again, I enjoyed reading your review and hope you got a good look at Cairns and had a wonderful stay. Heather
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

Great Location, clean, got all the basics! Superior rooms are a good size, have all the basic amenities.... 2 swimming Pools... Breakfast is served in Restaurant attached.
Located 2 streets from northern end of the Esplanade. 2 blocks from Shopping Centre/Tourist areas. Wifi is not free. Discovery run their own Tours, other Tours pick up. Vietnamese Restaurant attached, quite nice...other eateries within walking distance. Staff are pleasant and helpful. It's not a resort, but it is a value for money Hotel..... Maybe more like a Motel :)

Room Tip: Superior Rooms are Bigger, better, over look the main pool and are in a quiet area.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Heather-in-accounts, Operations Coordinator at Comfort Inn Discovery Cairns, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Hi there ChezmossAustralia and thanks for taking the time to write a review.

It’s great that you liked our location. I see you had a Superior room – good on you – they are a little flashier and comfier! I see you found the pools, the restaurant and best of all you found us helpful! No we’re not a resort - that is true - we don’t claim to be, we just claim we’re budget-friendly, neat and home-away-from-home.

I hope you get a chance to come back some time; we’re not actually near the northern end of the Esplanade – closer to the middle of it. The Esplanade is quite long really (it takes me half an hour to walk it) with the ocean-front pathway being quite delightful at any time of day. For fitness gurus, they can walk, jog, run and even workout on the fitness stations along the way (which are free and provided by the Cairns City Council).

For those Google’ing us, we are just in from ‘Muddies Playground’ which is awesome and anyone who has young kids shouldn’t miss it. On a warm day it’s great for the kids in their swimmers, with water-spouts to run through as well as general playground bits and bobs. There even fish and chips available for mums and dads too. Thanks again, Heather
Vantaa, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

Clean and big rooms. No free wifi, but two pools and a restaurant in a premesis. Some rooms are directly in front of pools. 10 minutes walk to city centre. Quiet location and friendly staff, who can book tours for you.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Heather-in-accounts, Operations Coordinator at Comfort Inn Discovery Cairns, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Dear Xinnam, thanks for your review. I am glad you found the rooms suitable and sizeable for your needs. No that is true, we don’t have, nor do we advertise free wi-fi and the reason is that if we offered all the optional extras that are available free, we wouldn’t be able to offer the awesome prices that we do for our rooms. Yes, we’re not far from anything really – 305m east to the Ocean and 800m south to the Mall. Going a stroll north, there’s the hospital, Cock and Bull Sports Bar and other restaurants too! I am also glad you found us friendly – we do have to have something going for us as individuals I suppose, as the entire team here were hit by the ugly stick at birth! Cheers, Heather
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

We could not be happier. We bought a groupon voucher that included a week for 2 people in a superior pool view room, and it included breakfast, airport transfers, internet time, champagne plus a half day 4 wheel drive tour of the rainforest.
The reason I went ahead and bought that voucher for ourselves and another couple was because of the excellent email correspondence with Heather in reception. She was extremely quick to answer all my questions and assured us there were vacancies at the time we wanted.
This place is well run and well organised.
Our rooms were excellent. I can recommend rooms 125 and 125. They are on the ground floor overlooking the pool.
My husband was impressed because everything worked well in the rooms-the aircon, the switches, everything. The shower was nice and hot. The service was good, we even had biscuits supplied with tea and coffee. The rooms were quite spacious and very clean, with everything you would want-a good sized TV, couch, fridge, big wardrobe.
The people in the office were helpful and friendly and there was a lot of info available about different tours.
The 4 of us were the only ones on the half day 4 wheel drive into the rainforest and I can recommend this excursion, it was very informative.
The hire drive the hotel organised was well priced, excellent car and they delivered and picked up from the hotel. We did obtain other quotes but this deal was very competitive.
On top of that, the hotel is in a good location. Lovely and quiet, yet only a 15 minute walk to the esplanade and only a block or so from Cairns public hospital, which we unfortunately had to use for one of our party.
I suppose if you live a jet setting lifestyle and want 5 star with valet service, this hotel may not be for you, but for everyone else, it's great.
It had everything I wanted and more!!

Room Tip: Superior pool view room, ground floor eg room 124 or 125, best way to go. The pool view rooms defini...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Heather-in-accounts, Operations Coordinator at Comfort Inn Discovery Cairns, responded to this review, April 13, 2014
Hi there Sherriau; your timing was perfect to avoid the cyclone and that bottle of plonk you gave me sure helped calm my nerves as ‘Ita’ approached - we were very lucky with that one, it could’ve been nasty.

Yes I think the Superior rooms are that bit flasher but generally people pick the base option – they’re worth that little extra to have a bit more peace and quiet, away from the car park and around the pool. I hope you-know-who is feeling better after his episode; perhaps I shouldn’t have put him in the honeymoon suite at his tender age! Thanks again for the excellent review – the cheques in the mail! Cheers, Heather
Kettering, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

We stayed here before and after visiting the rainforest. Very helpful staff who were happy to store our luggage while we were away.This is an excellent base from which to explore the Rain Forest and the Great Barrier Reef. It is within walking distance of Cairns Esplanade and you must visit the local library to see the flying foxes cohabiting in the trees. There is a lovely cafe for breakfast - turn left outside reception and walk jut a few hundred yards to the cafe on your left. . The room was excellent and spotlessly clean. The pool was directly outside our room. The room offered all that we expected, air conditioning, bar fridge, milk, tea and coffee. A comfortable room.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi there 227vegas, Thanks for taking time to write a review. So, so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and you found everything as good as gold.

Besides being smellier than my husband's socks, the fruit bats (spectacled flying foxes) are really neat to watch and amaze people as they fly-off at dusk, towards to mountains to eat. They are the largest bats in the World and eat fruit, fruit and more fruit! People often say to me, “We saw them hanging in the trees all day, they weren’t sleeping but squawking and carrying on!” Yep… think about it, if you ate nothing but tropical fruit all night, you’d be squawking all day too! All too often, unsuspecting travellers park under trees for shade and return to their vehicles finding them a different colour, covered in fruit bat soft serve, not good for the car paintwork with all that acid!

Also, glad you found the ‘Jam Drop’ café just near us; yes it’s a great little find. Cheers and thanks a bunch for staying with us and helping us to feed the kids – at 6ft8" they take a lot of feeding!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

We have just read through the reviews on this site and are impressed by the replies to some of the more outspoken reviews/comments/observations that your previous patrons have experienced. If nothing else, I hope we're a little disappointed and after constructing a well punctuated and paragraphed review, we receive much the same witty and sarcastic humour that has had us "LOL'ing for the past 10 minutes.

If we get a bed in a private room that's comfortable and convenient, we will be getting what is advertised and considerably good value.

If we wanted all the bells and whistles (and humongous pools) we would've googled,

"massive pool in private spa room that's 35 metres to the Cairns post office".

See you in August. :)

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Heather-in-accounts, Operations Coordinator at Comfort Inn Discovery Cairns, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Hello there Gavin H;

Hmm… how interesting it is to receive a review prior to a guest stay with us; and here I was trying to be serious with all this Trip Advisor ‘mumbo jumbo’? You know, I have thought on occasion that my job may just be in jeopardy when the GM realizes there’s such a thing as Trip Advisor but for now, I’ll endeavour to keep him locked away in his office, too busy to surf the net!

I truly believe there’s nothing as good for the soul as a good belly laugh and I make sure I have one every morning. Firstly, I ‘LOL’ in the morning when I first put my glasses on and secondly, I ‘LOL’ on arrival at work and see my delightful work colleagues Martin and Anthony, who are equally as funny looking as I am! The rest of the day, our guests keep us all laughing.
A ‘besty’ of mine became a paraplegic a couple of years ago; she was a single mum of 3 teenage girls and running her own business at the time of her accident. Her experience changed my outlook on life forever. If I dared to complain (to her) about ‘having to walk 10 minutes to town’ or that ‘wi-fi and breakfast aren’t free’ as some of our guests do to us, she’d scald me and say, “Well H, if that’s all you have to complain about then you aren’t doing bad love!” Oh so true! This friend has just ridden a purpose-built motorcycle across three Australian states ALONE and if she can ‘LOL’ at the amount of times she found her wheelchair rolling down hills (“Do you know how many camp sites are built on slopes H?”), then I can laugh at anything that is thrown my way!.

When I finally put pen to paper and get my ‘dream’ book (about work of course) written, I will have to send you an autographed copy to keep you LOL’ing!

On a serious note, and to assist you to write a ‘review’ worthy of a ‘come back’ post stay, please be ensured that I will make every effort to find you the dingiest, noisiest room I can. If you’re really lucky I might release a jar of cockies (cockroaches), a bucket of sugar ants plus a handful of crumbs in the bed - all free of charge! One problem as you’re coming in August - it’s not as hot then - I might have to bring in extra Algae for the pool to make you feel right at home!

Look forward to meeting you in August, Cheers, Heather

Been to Comfort Inn Discovery Cairns? Share your experiences!