“Very helpful friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cairns Sheridan Hotel

Save Saved
You added Cairns Sheridan Hotel to your Saves list
Cairns Sheridan Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   295 Sheridan St, Cairns, Queensland 4870, Australia (Formerly Quality Hotel Sheridan Plaza)   |
Special Rate
A$129 Inc. 2 Buffet Brfst
Ranked #11 of 66 Hotels in Cairns
Townsville, Australia
“Very helpful friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

The staff were amazingly helpful and friendly. They were very respectful and caring. We were part of a group staying at the hotel to attend a funeral in Cairns. The rooms were very clean and functional and the morning tea spread they provided for the family post funeral was delicious. Thank you to all the wonderful staff. We would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

sheridan295, General Manager at Cairns Sheridan Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
I am sorry for your loss but I am glad to hear our staff were helpful and understanding. Hospitality is about anticipating guests needs and being able to adjust to all situations. It is always nice to hear our efforts are appreciated. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

I arrived jetlagged and tired at 6am. I arrived a little sceptical at the distance it was from the town centre, but was pleased that it was no more than a 5 minute drive from the airport.

Being quite early, I'll forgive the staff member for not being the most cheeriest man on the planet however after a very prompt and quick check-in I was allocated a big spacious and very clean room facing the pool, being kindly permitted to check-in many hours early.

This hotel by far, proved to be one of the best I have ever stayed in. It was so easy, so clean, so quiet and had absolutely friendly staff. I loved the lady (regrettably, I have forgotten her name) who greeted me so warmly every morning at breakfast, and the staff members who genuinely

Stewart was a legend! Not only did he give me a lift into town (which is no more than a short bus ride away) but took me to the airport before my flight back to Perth! As a student travelling, I could not appreciate this gesture more!

The restaurant is fantastic, I had lunch there on two occasions and both times the food was served perfectly with excellent service from ALL staff. The breakfast buffet was one of the best I have ever had, such a great selection for a 'smaller' hotel.

The WiFi as part of my package was complimentary and was very decent. The signal strength on my room on the third floor was very strong so business travellers shouldn't have to worry about any drop-outs (unlike some 5-star hotels!)

Despite being close to a major road (which is where Hotels should be anyway!), there was not a noise that I heard when I went to bed about 10:30pm each night. The traffic really dies off at night in Cairns and I had such a comfortable sleep in a nice bed. The benefits of it being close to a major road (Sheridan St) is that there are 5 or so bus routes passing at 5-15min intervals throughout the day, evening and on weekends and the bus ride is no more than 5-7 minutes to the city or Esplanade.

I had one tiny little problem with some ants that seemed have made there way into my room (probably from the balcony?) on the first night. I notified reception and they promptly and kindly dealt with the issue. So after that there were no problems.

This hotel should pride itself on having beautiful staff, crisp and clean linen and rooms, a fantastic restaurant and restaurant staff, and a head management team that really looks after and interacts with it's guests. I will definitely be staying here again on my next trip to far north Queensland.

Room Tip: Book a room with a balcony which has a nice view over the central courtyard and the distant hills. I...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
sheridan295, General Manager at Cairns Sheridan Hotel, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Wow, thank you so much for your overwhelming review. There is certainly nothing I can add to your comments other than to say that we also love this hotel, but moreover we love it even more when our guests tell us that they love staying here. We are diligent in guest satisfaction and service, and your comments justify our continued commitment to our guests. Thanks again, it makes all the hard work worthwhile.
Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

1. Generally the hotel staff were friendly and easy to talk to.
2. There were not much noise/disturbance from people in the bar. The hotel is quiet and is a place to look out for when visitors intend to visit Cairns.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you so much for your comments. They are greatly appreciated.
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

I booked this place unseen. It was $119 for bed and a hot breakfast. There are plenty of other places as I drove in to stay for $75 or less. But this place was very well equipped. The bed was very comfortable,which really never happens in cheap hotels. The breakfast was filling and basic but very peasant. Plus bonus next door is a great pub. Only problem is I hate showers over a bathtub

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
sheridan295, General Manager at Cairns Sheridan Hotel, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
I see you are from God's own country, Perth. It sound like you thoroughly enjoyed your stay in Cairns and that has a lot to do with your choice of not stopping at the cheap motels along the way. You chose us but I'm really not comfortable being compared to a cheap hotel as the only thing cheap here is the price of staying here. Cairns hotels are very competitive and as such bargains are abundant at the moment. As you found us to be value for money. Coming from Perth I bet you have not had a shower like ours for a long time. The water comes out hot and very strong. Here it is again, the hoteliers conundrum, some like baths and will have a bath, some, like yourself, just want the shower. If you come again ask for a room with a separate shower, we may be able to accommodate you. Thanks again for sharing your comments.
Townsville, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

I stay there regularly for business and the staff and service is great! The staff go out of their way to make you feel welcome and are happy to accommodate your preferences. Would recommend it to anyone....great value.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thanks Vikki. You and your colleagues are always most welcome and thank you for sharing your experience with others. Your review is greatly appreciated and I look forward to your next visit.
Adelaide
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

A quick trip to Cairns for a couple of days meant we needed some where to stay. Usually prefer Crowne Plaza or similar, but knew we would not be using the room much and didn't want to pay the earth. Searched TA and other forums and the rates for the Sheridan were very good and I liked the idea that it had be refurbished, and breakfast was included. We were not disappointed by our choice. On check in we were Upgraded to a balcony room (306). The room was a decent size, light and airy and very clean. The bathroom was good... Not modern, but practical, roomy and again extremely clean. We requested extra towels one morning and the house keeper was more than happy to oblige. Breakfast was great. A small buffet, but with plenty of choices and good coffee. The room faced the main road but noise was minimal and we slept well. There was a bus stop on this road just at the enterance to hotel. However having your own car would be more convenient as it was a reasonable walk to the end of the esplanade and the main hub. A other bonus was parking on site and free! Good location on the outskirts of
Cairns. Only disappointment was the pool was small and looked like a fish pond and a little uninviting. Fortunately the weather was kind and we didn't need a swim. Would definitely book
again if we were to return and yes recommend to family and friends . To the friendly staff, I say,."Thank you for a lovely stay".

stay.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

You are welcome and thank you for thanking us. You wouldn't believe how rare it is to be thanked for what we do. Hospitality is what we do and we are good at it. The idea of the pool is to have a tropical billabong type of effect, with flowing waterfall and tropical gardens surrounding. You probably noticed that we have just had the gardens rejuvenated and as such much of our Golden cane palm trees and foliage has been cut back and removed. New plants are being planted and it will take a little time to establish. Personally I still prefer our billabong to any resort style pool full of screaming kids. Thanks again.
bohle plains
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

We called the before booking to make sure the esplanade was in walking distance n they said yes (it took about 45 min to walk to the esplanade). The floor that our room was on smelt like stale smoke (non smoking floor). The so called gym room had mould all over the ceilings (not good when u are doing a workout). The
laundry room had cockroaches in it... very large ones and
it looked like it has never been swept or cleaned.
The buffet breakfast was very very basic, which consisted of cold water for the hot tea n coffee, burnt bacon n some funky egg thing, packet cereal n toast. We were meant to stay two nights n only stayed one.
When I told the girl at the counter of the issues I saw she said.... Yer that's n good hey. Oh well u have a cancelation fee on top of cot hire on top of the room..
for a $180 I really expected more and it put a big damper on our trip. I expect more for that price.. for an extra $40 a night at the next place we booked into it was magnificent and will go back to that one in a heart beat. I would never ever recommend the cairns Sheridan it's to dear or what u get.

• Stayed June 2014
I cannot impress enough to tripadvisor users the importance of being absolutely honest in your reviews and above all ‘Do your Research’. It is all out there on the internet, best rates, attractions and location maps. We are three blocks from the Esplanade which has a boardwalk that runs for about 2 Kms from Cairns North, where we are, into the city. I recommend everyone should do this walk which, on top of the stunning scenery and birdlife, has 6 memorials including the Catalina and Cenotaph , parklands, several playgrounds, a skate park and a kids water park along the way, culminating at the lagoon which is always a great place for a dip.
I always try to find positives to reflect on but in this vexatious review I am lost. Ok, I surrender. I’ve circled the wagons and unhitched the horses. I’ve even called the Cavalry but the restless naysayers are still getting in and it seems they talk with forked tongue. You didn’t pay $180 for the room, and it included two complimentary buffet breakfasts. Why do some people think a free breakfast in a hotel has eggs benedict, smoked salmon and caviar. Most guests love our breakfast because it has all the basics which is what breakfast is. Please read the other reviews.
The small water inhibitor stain in the corner of the ceiling in the gym occurred last week after a spill in the plant-room above. To say ‘all over the ceiling’ is a ridiculous exaggeration as is much of this review. This stain was painted over on Monday and the entire gym is scheduled for painting and will have new carpet following.

Been to Cairns Sheridan Hotel? Share your experiences!