“Great well priced hotel with good service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns

You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   121-123 The Esplanade, Cairns, Queensland 4870, Australia (Formerly Holiday Inn Cairns)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
30% off Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #13 of 66 Hotels in Cairns
London, United Kingdom
“Great well priced hotel with good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2008

Stayed here for 4 nights in November 2008 as part of a month long trip around Australia and New Zealand. Managed to get a good rate at this hotel by booking well in advance but I was a little anxious after reading the reviews on here about the quality of the hotel but I shouldn't have worried.

We were met by the porter on arrival and I was initially impressed by the lobby area. As I have a platinum Priority Club card my room was upgraded to a high floor room with a nice view free of charge. Not all hotels do this and I was more than happy with the room I was given for the price paid. The bathroom had obviously been recently refurbished but the rest of the room could do with a slight refresh but nothing too urgent. The view was of the mountains in the distance, waterfront and cairns itself and was very nice.

I've previously stayed at the Shangri-La hotel in Cairns which is much more expensive but I'd say the location here is almost as good as it's not right in the centre of town which gets pretty hectic. It's only a 5 minute walk away though.

The pool area is also nice if not a little too small (loungers frequently taken) but the major downside here is the building works going on right next to it. I couldn't see or hear this from my room but I'm sure plenty of the other rooms could.

Couldn't fault the staff here: the night shift manager was great as were the front desk staff and the maids. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again in the future.

• Liked — Views, price
  • Disliked — Building site next to it
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
HICairns, Paul McMurray - Business Development Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this review, December 23, 2008
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your positive feedback we really do appreciate the time you have taken to pass on your experience.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed your upgrade to a high floor room. As you mentioned the lobby and bathroom have all been refurbished. This work was all part of a multi million dollar refurbishment which included a upgrade of all the guest rooms bathrooms to feature a new contemporary modern bathroom. Together with the updated bathrooms also saw a full refresh of the hotels exterior and redesign of the lobby and restaurant. This has enhanced the arrival experience and ambiance of the hotel by using contemporary decor and modern furniture.

We pride ourselves for being highly commended for our high level of service and value for money that I am glad that you were able to see this with your experience in our staff being the night shift manager, front desk staff and our room attendance, plus with your overall experience at the hotel.

Thank you again for taking the time to write your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel hopefully in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2008

This was a stopover location and I didn't expect much however we arrived early after an overnight flight and were allowed to book in several hours before usual so we could freshen up and get out on a trip to the mountains.

We had panoramic views of the mountains and a large spacious airy room. The grounds are great with a rainforest feel and ornamental ponds.

We even got a complimentary bottle of champers!!!

Stayed November 2008
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Cairns and for taking the time to pass on your positive feedback. I was glad to read that you enjoyed your stay, the view from your room , champers and we were able to meet your requirements of a early check in.

I hope that you next visit to Cairns will be a little longer than a stopover and we look forward to welcoming you back hopefully in the very near future.
Sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2008

We were told that we would have to pay $40 extra to have a room away from the swearing, jackhammers, hammering and sawing next door. The manager told us that the hotel could not control what happens outside the hotel. Fair enough, but neither can we.

• Liked — Location and ocean view
  • Disliked — Construction noise
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write of your feedback. Kindly accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused. The building work next door is a construction of a luxury apartment block which has had some delays in the completion. Your feedback on the construction site will be followed up with the company to ensure that the hours of work are in-line with the expected working hours. The great news is that the building is in the final stages on completion.

Your impression of the hotel is vital in helping us provide the highest level of service to which we are committed. Please accept my apology for your recent stay.
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for a week in september. Overall I enjoyed my stay here. The staff at the front desk were friendly and helpful with any questions. On arrival the porter was there to get my bags and even though i was a few hours early i was able to check in straight away

The room was neat and tidy had a great view out onto the esplanade and the balcony. The bathroom was nice and suitable for my needs

The breakfast and dinner buffet were excellent. There was also plenty of restaurants a short walk away on the esplande.

The staff at the tour desk were quite helpful in organising a few things for me to do on my spare days.

On my last day my flight didnt leave till evening and i was able to organise to leave my bags there for the day at no cost which i found convenient

• Liked — the location
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
HICairns, Paul McMurray - Business Development Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this review, October 15, 2008
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your positive feedback and I appreciate the time you have taken to pass on your experience. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and you were able to take advantage of the location and the service the hotel provides our guests.

We pride ourselves for being highly commended for our high level of service and product and I am glad that you were able to see this with your experience in our staff and restaurant. This feedback will be passed on to the team.

Devon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2008

Cairns is fantastic anyway, but when we arrived the hotel staff were very helpful and had plenty of smiles. We asked for a free upgrade to sea view room, and got one at a small fee. Looked out over esplanade and RSL. Large clean room, absolutely loved it here. Staff throughout hotel were good, and breakfast was excellent

• Liked — Its location
  • Disliked — The laundry room
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
HICairns, Paul McMurray - Business Development Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this review, August 20, 2008
Dear Guest, Thank you for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Cairns and for taking the time to pass on your positive feedback. I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to make the most of the view from your room.

We pride ourselves for our high level of service and of which you experience from the staff and this feedback will be passed on to the team.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back hopefully in the very near future.
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2008

Stayed here for 2 nights in July. I was a bit apprehensive from the reviews on here, but I was pleasantly surprised.

The staff in reception were friendly, and helpful. A porter came to our car and whisked our bags away.

The lobby is quite smart looking, but once you leave to the outdoor atrium, the hotel looks a bit depressing.

The room was pleasant. The bathroom was very small, but had obviously been recently refurbished - modern and clean. The room was a decent size and although the furniture wasnt brand new, it was in good shape, and quite presentable.

We were fortunate to have a sea facing room, and didnt hear any noise from the adjoining building site. In any case, I believe this should be completed soon, and isnt really the hotel's fault.

The pool was very depressing, and nothing would tempt me in there! Reminded me of a cheap motel pool in the USA.

We paid a bit extra for breakfast. This price was quite reasonable, and we were quite impressed with the spread, other than the fruit, which was mostly from cans. We were intrigued that some people were being offered a freshly cooked breakfast (eg omelette) and we weren't! Although we were happy with the spread on offer, when we paid for breakfast there was no mention on the website about it being a limited form!

Overall, we had a comfortable stay - and would stay here again. The other hotels in Cairns didnt seem that much better, and all in all, it was a decent value for money. Nothing special though!

Stayed July 2008
HICairns, Paul McMurray - Business Development Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this review, July 20, 2008
Dear Guest, Thank you for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Cairns and for taking the time to pass on your positive feedback. I was glad to read that you enjoyed your stay and you tried the hotel despite having some concerns from reviews you read.
We pride ourselves for being highly commended for our high level of service and of which you experience from the staff and this feedback will be passed on to the team.
Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back hopefully in the very near future when you are next in Australia and Cairns.
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2008

After a fantastic stay in Queensland our last night was at the Holiday Inn in Cairns. From the moment we arrived it was not a great experience. The reception staff were unfriendly and it seemed an effort to deal with us. Our room was not ready until 4pm and we had to ask about leaving our bags. When we did get access to our room, it was very dated and the bathroom was possibly the smallest we'd ever seen, despite opting for the larger ocean view room. The swimming pool was chipped and dirty and the spa not much better. The pool was beside a busy road and next to a large building under construction. At night the hotel was noisey and our room was above the swimming pool and spa which stayed open late. The noise from a partying group was no joke considering we had an early flight the next day. Despite paying for breakfast in advance we were advised that we were not entitled to certain items and when checking out the staff remained aloof and unfriendly. The only good part was the helpfulness of the concierges.

• Liked — Service from the concierge
  • Disliked — Attitude of staff
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
HICairns, Business Development Manager - Paul McMurray at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this review, June 29, 2008

Thank you for taking the time to write of your feedback on your recent stay at Holiday Inn Cairns. I was very concerned to hear about all of the problems you experienced during your stay in relation to the service and your dissatisfaction of the hotel.

Kindly accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused. The service you received is not in line with our usually high standards. I have discussed these issues with the department in question to ensure your points have been addressed and noted and that it does not occur again.

Your feedback of the swimming pool being chipped and dirty will be looked into. We have never had negative feedback regarding the maintenance of the pool. The building being built beside the hotel is completely out of our control and I must admit we do not like it going up either. The good news is the building is nearing completion. The scheduled completion date is mid September 2008.

I was surprised to hear negative feedback about the bathrooms as we have had great compliments about the bathrooms. We have just completed a multimillion dollar upgrade of all the bathrooms in the hotel guest rooms.

Your impressions of our hotel are vital in helping us provide the highest level of service to which we are committed.

Once again, thank you for your observations and I hope to welcome you back to Holiday Inn Cairns in the future.

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns? Share your experiences!