“Not bad, nothing special” 3 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns

You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   121-123 The Esplanade, Cairns, Queensland 4870, Australia (Formerly Holiday Inn Cairns)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
30% off Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #13 of 66 Hotels in Cairns
London
“Not bad, nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2008

Stayed here for 2 nights in July. I was a bit apprehensive from the reviews on here, but I was pleasantly surprised.

The staff in reception were friendly, and helpful. A porter came to our car and whisked our bags away.

The lobby is quite smart looking, but once you leave to the outdoor atrium, the hotel looks a bit depressing.

The room was pleasant. The bathroom was very small, but had obviously been recently refurbished - modern and clean. The room was a decent size and although the furniture wasnt brand new, it was in good shape, and quite presentable.

We were fortunate to have a sea facing room, and didnt hear any noise from the adjoining building site. In any case, I believe this should be completed soon, and isnt really the hotel's fault.

The pool was very depressing, and nothing would tempt me in there! Reminded me of a cheap motel pool in the USA.

We paid a bit extra for breakfast. This price was quite reasonable, and we were quite impressed with the spread, other than the fruit, which was mostly from cans. We were intrigued that some people were being offered a freshly cooked breakfast (eg omelette) and we weren't! Although we were happy with the spread on offer, when we paid for breakfast there was no mention on the website about it being a limited form!

Overall, we had a comfortable stay - and would stay here again. The other hotels in Cairns didnt seem that much better, and all in all, it was a decent value for money. Nothing special though!

Stayed July 2008
HICairns, Paul McMurray - Business Development Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this review, July 20, 2008
Dear Guest, Thank you for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Cairns and for taking the time to pass on your positive feedback. I was glad to read that you enjoyed your stay and you tried the hotel despite having some concerns from reviews you read.
We pride ourselves for being highly commended for our high level of service and of which you experience from the staff and this feedback will be passed on to the team.
Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back hopefully in the very near future when you are next in Australia and Cairns.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2008

After a fantastic stay in Queensland our last night was at the Holiday Inn in Cairns. From the moment we arrived it was not a great experience. The reception staff were unfriendly and it seemed an effort to deal with us. Our room was not ready until 4pm and we had to ask about leaving our bags. When we did get access to our room, it was very dated and the bathroom was possibly the smallest we'd ever seen, despite opting for the larger ocean view room. The swimming pool was chipped and dirty and the spa not much better. The pool was beside a busy road and next to a large building under construction. At night the hotel was noisey and our room was above the swimming pool and spa which stayed open late. The noise from a partying group was no joke considering we had an early flight the next day. Despite paying for breakfast in advance we were advised that we were not entitled to certain items and when checking out the staff remained aloof and unfriendly. The only good part was the helpfulness of the concierges.

• Liked — Service from the concierge
  • Disliked — Attitude of staff
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
HICairns, Business Development Manager - Paul McMurray at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this review, June 29, 2008

Thank you for taking the time to write of your feedback on your recent stay at Holiday Inn Cairns. I was very concerned to hear about all of the problems you experienced during your stay in relation to the service and your dissatisfaction of the hotel.

Kindly accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused. The service you received is not in line with our usually high standards. I have discussed these issues with the department in question to ensure your points have been addressed and noted and that it does not occur again.

Your feedback of the swimming pool being chipped and dirty will be looked into. We have never had negative feedback regarding the maintenance of the pool. The building being built beside the hotel is completely out of our control and I must admit we do not like it going up either. The good news is the building is nearing completion. The scheduled completion date is mid September 2008.

I was surprised to hear negative feedback about the bathrooms as we have had great compliments about the bathrooms. We have just completed a multimillion dollar upgrade of all the bathrooms in the hotel guest rooms.

Your impressions of our hotel are vital in helping us provide the highest level of service to which we are committed.

Once again, thank you for your observations and I hope to welcome you back to Holiday Inn Cairns in the future.
Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2008

My DH and I stayed here for 2 nights while on vacation Cairns. Our flight to Cairns was an early flight and when we got to the hotel, they were able to get us a room within 20 minutes (I had notified them prior of our early arrival). So, we were able to change clothes and go explore. The room was suitable for our purpose. The hotel overall was clean but we did see black ants in the room, but there weren't that many and I know that is common in tropical areas. They even have notes in the room about them and that they will come spray if you want them to. If you are looking for a view, this isn't the hotel for you. Our room overlooked construction next door, even though we never heard any noise from it. Also, the hotel is not located on the water/beach but it is a short walk to the water and to the wharf and restaurants. The bed was not too comfortable or plush but was ok with us because we did so much during the day that we were worn out. The staff was nice but the concierge just wasn't too knowledgable...nice, though, but not very helpful.

Again, this is not a plush hotel but it is not a dump, either. I would stay here again and would recommend it.

**Also, this is not an internal corridor hotel. The halls are outside.**

• Stayed May 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
HICairns, Paul McMurray - Business Development Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this review, June 16, 2008
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Cairns.

It is great to hear you had an enjoyable time. Additionally, it is always a pleasure to receive constructive feedback, which I assure you, has been passed on to the staff concerned. It is through this type of constructive feedback that we can improve the level of our service.

It is unfortunate that that you were unable to get a room upon your early arrival at the hotel. Should we have had the room type you booked available, I can assure you we would have let you check into your room early.

I was also please to hear that despite being able to see the construction it did not affect you. This should be the case from this point on. The great news is the completion date for the building is Mid September 2008. If you stay with us again and you want a great view try our superior room or Ocean View room.

Once again, thank you for your observations and your recommendations to others and we look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Cairns in the near future.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2008

We stayed in the Cairns Holiday Inn for one night before travelling to Port Douglas. Having read some of the previous reviews I was a little concerned, however our experience was very positive. The staff at the desk were friendly and helpful and our room was clean and comfortable. The bed was extremely comfortable.
We could see the construction work next door, however we also had a great view of the mountains. As we were staying on a weekend night construction noise was not an issue. It was an easy walk to the restaurants along the Esplanade for dinner and we had a relaxing drink in the hotel lounge bar afterwards. Our booking included the breakfast buffet which comprised limited but sufficient choices of a high quality. My only - very minor - criticisms are: I had trouble finding the ice machine on our floor in spite of a long walk and encountering contradictory signage, and that the staff member who appeared to be in charge of breakfast was rather unwelcoming in her approach, although not actually rude.
I will definitely be staying at the Cairns Holiday Inn again.

• Liked — The atmosphere of the hotel, the location and the value.
  • Disliked — building next door.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
HICairns, Business Development Manager - Paul McMurray at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this review, May 2, 2008
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your positive feedback and taking the time to pass it on. I was glad to read that you enjoyed your stay and you tried the hotel despite having some concerns from reviews you read.
I was also please to hear that despite being able to see the construction it did not affect you. This should be the case from this point on staying on any day of the week. The only affect the construction should have is the appearance of the site. All major external structural work has been completed and work on the internal sector is now in progress. Minimal noise is expected due to all major work underway is internal. Should you stay with us again and you want a great view try our superior view room or Ocean View room which does not look over the construction site.
Thank you for bring up your concerns in the difficulties you had in finding the ice machine. I will bring up you concerns and we can review the signage.
We pride ourselves for being highly commended for our high level of service and of which you experience from the reception staff however it is disappointing to hear you were not welcomed in a friendly manner at the restaurant of which I apologies. This feedback will be passed on to the team.
Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back hopefully in the very near future.
Ocoee, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2008

The hotel is undergoing renovations and there was another building being built beside it when we checked in. We, however, did not have any problems with the noise. Room was big and check in and check out was handled without hassle. My cousins were even upgraded to a room with a view of the water. I would recommend this room for the location.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
HICairns, Business Development Manager - Paul McMurray at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this review, April 15, 2008
Thank you very much for your positive feedback and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and were able to take advantage of the fantastic location of the hotel being right on the Esplanade.

I was also very pleased to read that the works going on in the hotel (due to be completed on the 30 April 08) did not affect you at all. We have put in as many procedures as possible to create the least disruption to our guests as we undergo this exciting upgrade.

I was glad to read that you were able to take advantage of the upgrade your cousins got during their stay. I always enjoy the view.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit.
dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2008

I have just recently stayed in this hotel and would not advise anyone to stay there.There are major renovations going on in this hotel and the swimming pool is closed and part of the gardens are not open.The third floor of hotel is closed down due to up grading and the noise is terrible.Next door is a building site which starts working at 6.00am with lots of jackhammers etc.You will get no rest in this hotel and really it should be closed .There is nowhere To relax here.The least the hotel could have done was to give a refund or try and make up for this mess.Also the staff were not at all helpful.Just try getting a drink at the bar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!You would still be waiting.Need I say more-the best thing about this hotel is it's location.

Stayed January 2008
Thank you for taking the time to express your recent experience at Holiday Inn Cairns. Please accept my apologies for how you were affected by the refurbishment works in the hotel, work on the building next door, closure of the pool and your experience in the bar.

You will be please to know that the refurbishment going on in the hotel will be completed by the 30 April 2008 and the pool opened after closer for 3 weeks at the end of February. The work that was undergoing during your stay was a full gut out and update of all guest rooms bathroom. As I am sure you can understand this is very exciting work happening in the hotel in order to enhance the overall product of the hotel.

The extent of the whole refurbishment upgrade included the complete gut out and replacement of all fixtures and facilities of the Bathroom from the taps to the bath, an exterior make over, lobby & reception upgrade reflecting a more contemporary design and the refurbishment of the hotel restaurant.
The building work next door is a construction of a luxury apartment block due to be completed in the second half of 2008. You feedback on the construction site will be followed up with the company to ensure that the hours of work are in-line with the expected working hour. The hotel has also recently amended its room types to take into account the building being constructed.

The service you received from our staff is not in line with our usually high standards. Please be assured your feedback points have been addressed and noted.

I am glad you enjoyed the location of the hotel and we hope to welcome you back to experience our refurbished product and the highest level of service to which we are committed.
sussex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2008

Spent 2 nights here December this year. Hotel is well located on the esplanade with great views from our room,Hotel staff were all very friendly and helpful. Had two quiet peaceful nights here,the rooms are of average size but kept clean and tidy.Great location for everything going on in Cairns.We ate in the hotel on 1 occasion and could not fault either the quality of the food or service.If in Cairns again I would proberly stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Thank you very much for your positive feedback and I appreciate the time you have taken to pass on your experience. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and you were able to take advantage of the location and view the hotel has to offer.
We pride ourselves for being highly commended for our high level of service and product and I am glad that you were able to see this with your experience in our staff and restaurant. This feedback will be passed on to the team.
Thank you again for taking the time to write your feedback.

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns? Share your experiences!