“We had a great vacation thanks to the Holiday Inn Cairns” 4 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns

You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   121-123 The Esplanade, Cairns, Queensland 4870, Australia (Formerly Holiday Inn Cairns)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
30% off Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #14 of 66 Hotels in Cairns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Winter Haven, Florida
“We had a great vacation thanks to the Holiday Inn Cairns”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

We enjoyed our stay so much we want to return soon. Only one down fall was that we had to pay for internet service. You did get 2 hours free internet if you bought a drink in the bar.
The staff was the best seen to date at a Holiday Inn. Very helpful and always willing to help make our stay the best possible.
We are American, so the exchange rate was not in our favor, so we need to budget a little tighter than normal, but besides that this hotel will be on our highly recommended list.

Room Tip: Within walking distance to all. Taxi from the Airport was $21 Aus
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Matt R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Hi SonnyFromFla

Thank you for your recent feedback on Trip advisor.
I am so glad to hear that your enjoyed your stay with us here. I will be sure to pass this onto our team.

It is truly rewarding to hear such great feedback.

If you join our Priority Club rewards, soon to be IHG Rewards as of July. You will receive great benefits such as complimentary late checkout, daily newspapers, along with free wifi for gold and platinum members starting in July, and base members in 2014.

Warm Regards
Holiday Inn Cairns

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Korean first
Paraparaumu
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Only stayed one night here, we arrived very early and our room wasn't ready but that wasn't a problem and the very friendly staff gave us a number of options including having a different room that was available straight away.
The ground floor room we stayed in was lovely, so clean and modern.
The breakfast was one of the best and great value for money (prebook this when you book in to get a better rate)
They have a lovely internal garden with pond and a good size outdoor pool.
We found it was close enough to town to stroll down any time but was nice and quite.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Matt R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Hi Kyla W

Thank you for your recent feedback on Trip advisor.
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us here at the hotel. Our breakfast is great, and there is lots of variety.

We are very lucky, we don’t have to go too far to enjoy a bit of tranquility. We can just walk into our indoor rainforest atrium. I hope you saw the huge barramundi.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We stayed one night at this hotel in May 2013 before traveling to the Whitsundays.

Our room was on the ground floor which was quite noisy. There was a slight smell in the room which I couldn't work out whether it was the aircon or not. A mouldy smell. The aircon was quite noisy too.

We had a patio area which was ok.

The bathroom is very small and basic.

The location is on the Esplanade, just a short walk from the marina where you will find bars and restaurants.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi TIpperGee13

Thank you for your recent feedback, it is always great to see such active members of the online community.

I am glad to see that you enjoyed the location; we are in an excellent spot, right on the esplanade.
I am sad to hear that your room was not what your expected. I always encourage our guests to see reception should they have a problem, no matter how big or small. We would have been more than happy to move you to another quieter room.
If your travels bring you to Cairns in the near future, we look forward to welcoming you back to the holiday Inn Cairns

Matt Rippin & Tea
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

In reading some of the not so nice reviews on this hotel I began to think I was in a different hotel. My wife and I experience was faultless. From the front desk, room maids and the breakfast staff were all very friendly and knowledgeable about their hotel. The breakfast was one of the best I've had at a hotel for a while, make your own vege juice and the selection of hot good was awesome. The rooms were spacious and well appointed, the soft and hard pillows, 4 on each bed was brilliant. It looks like the hotel has just had a refurbishment a year or so ago this is what attracted me as many other hotels reviews in Cairns read they were old, tired looking and needing some TLC. Excellent job Holiday Inn. Would definitely stay again

• Stayed May 2013
Matt R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear Darren776,

Thank you for your recent feedback on trip Advisor, it is always lovely to see such active members of the online community.

First of all, I am so glad to hear that your stay was faultless. Our team works extremely hard to deliver the best customer service and experience for our guests, so it is truly rewarding to hear this feedback.
We hear such great feedback about our breakfast, and the juice bar is the best, I love freshly squeezed juices, best way to start the day.

If you travels bring you to Cairns in the near future, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Cairns.

Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I only stayed a night for work but really liked the resort feel. I had a room with 2 double beds with window to the internal courtyard and glimpse of the bay beyond. It was modern and recently refurbished so you may need to ask for this type of room. If I go back on holiday it will be to an ocean view room. The building Is really well designed with an internal garden and lots of lifts. I see the comment on small bathrooms and it may be true but I'm used to small bathrooms!

Room Tip: You may need to request a refurbished room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear WenZan
Thank you for your recent feedback on Trip Advisor. It is so nice to see such active members of the online community.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We are very lucky because with all of our rooms you can get an ocean view, beautiful city and mountain views, as well as enjoying our internal atrium.
Next time your travels bring you to Cairns, definitely get an ocean view room, you won’t be disappointed.

Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This review is written for families with babies/toddlers in mind. I stayed two nights in a standard room with king bed. I was travelling solo with a 2 1/2 year old and 7 month old. The room itself is fairly standard with the usual amenities. I agree with other reviews that the bathroom is compact, however I liked the fact there was a bath with shower enclosed, allowing me to bathe the children. The TV automatically comes up with the pay tv channels - I needed some instructions on how to work the free TV - fine to use once I knew how. Portacots were lent free of charge, which was also a bonus.
For breakfast, I was told that reception was having a special, where the price was $17.50 if booked through them rather than the $25 if going directly to the restaurant. I felt this was good value as there was a buffet with many food and drink options including a fresh fruit juicer, cereals, hot breakfast, pastries, etc... What made breakfast lovely, was the attention to detail and friendliness of the waiting staff. I saw the same two lovely ladies on both mornings - always with a smile, an offer of high chairs, and assisting us when we wanted to sit in an area that wasn't going to disturb other patrons. On our last morning, my toddler was even offered a pancake with ice-cream (which was not part of the buffet). It really made my toddler's day! Thank you to those ladies, I wish I knew your names.
There is free parking on the street, or self parking in the undercover car park at $5 per day. I liked the location of the hotel - a short walk to Muddy's Playground on the Esplanade (great playground for children of different ages). The hotel pool had different sections and was good for younger children. At 50 cm deep, I was able to have my toddler 'swim' without me having to get in each time! My toddler also loved the atrium with pond 'walkway'. They have a daily fish feeding time, which we didn't do. This didn't matter as my little one enjoyed looking a the fish anyway.
All in all, a good stay in a clean hotel with friendly staff.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Mich009,

Wow, thank you for your lovely feedback on Trip Advisor, I appreciate the time you have taken to review our great hotel.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. The breakfast offer that we currently have at reception is a fantastic and cheaper option. The buffet breakfast is extremely good. There is plenty of variety and the juice bar has proven to be very successful with our guests.

I will pass this onto our Food & Beverage department, perhaps they can remember the pancake for your son.

You would have loved the barramundi feeding, they are over 20 kilos, and love their prawns. If your travels bring you to Cairns in the near future, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed here for a week on a Business trip. The room are large, beds super comfortable and a choice of pillow - firm or soft. Very clean hotel. Service from all staff was excellent and efficent. Location was great, with the waterfront view off the balcony. Reccomend for Business, pleasure or both.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear AussieGem010,

Thank you for your recent feedback on Trip Advisor. I enjoy reading all of our guest comments and appreciate the time you have taken to review our great hotel.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your room and that the beds were super comfortable.
The great thing about our hotel is that we have services to meet the needs of business or leisure travelers.

If your travels bring you to Cairns in the near future, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Cairns

Matt Rippin & Team

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns? Share your experiences!