“bringing cairns towards the cities” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #53 of 411 restaurants in Cairns
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Bar scene
Description: Situated at Marina Point, next to the Cairns Yacht Club facilities, Salt House is a unique dining, bar and entertainment venue offering a panorama of the ocean, marina and city on the waterfront in Cairns.
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“bringing cairns towards the cities”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Salt house has been around for awhile and I have been many times since its opened. Great setting and comfortable surrounds..... the food is generally delicious however some of the younger staff don't seem to really acknowledge you at times.... at little frustrating to be treated by snobbery when you probably (and not knowingly to them.... or do they care?).... have dined in restaurants here and abroad....and have a bigger picture.....seem to gravitate towards the tourist dollar and a single woman like me gets shunted. like I said, I have been here many times before with local friends and have enjoyed the experience but the service can be win or loose.... I do tip when its good however

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
saltybean, Manager at Salt House, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Hi Tara,

Great to hear that you love visiting us and generally have good experiences.

Customer service is an ongoing issue for our venue and something that we are constantly investing in to ensure our service is the best it can be. We will continue to train our staff and pass on your comments so they can learn from them.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Salt House again soon.

70% Recommend
Perth, Australia
“Relax at Salthouse”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Stunning setting, great food, my favourite restaurant in Cairns. My friends and I had the lunch special - 2 courses and a glass of wine ( or beer) for $28. Two of us are gluten intolerant and our "special needs" are always catered for. A perfect spot to while away the day and enjoy the food and view.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Brisbane, Australia
“Great spot, great food, great atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Every time we are in Cairns we either go to the Salthouse for a cocktail or for dinner. It's not cheap, but it is very nice with exceptional decor - all made out of the finest of wood overlooking the marina with water running underfoot. There are day beds that you can lounge around in. Great for solo, couples, friends and business. Highly recommended.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cairns
“Beautiful location, terrible service.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I recently dinned here with my two sisters, the restaurant was busy but no where near full. The service was great when we arrived but quickly turned terrrible within 20 mins. We ordered drinks, breads and dips just after we sat down and they came out promptly but thats where it ended. It took ages for the waiter to return to take our order for our mains, we ordered more drinks but they took 20 minutes just to arrive. After trying continuosly to get the attention of our waiter to order more drinks I then had to get up and find some one to serve us we didnt even have water at this stage. I was told to sit down someone will be with us soon. After another long wait the waiter came and took our drink order and we asked if he could check on our meals. This time 10 minutes later a different waiter came to our table with bread and dips to appologise but our meals where still another 20 minutes away, the kitchen had obviously lost our order because the other 3 tables near us all got there main befor us. We had all ready had bread so we said thank you but no thanks, he gave me a complimentry drink and two side salads with our mains when they finally arrived. My main was nice but nothing great and not worth the price, my sisters steak was raw and had to be replaced, but by this time we really just wanted to leave We arrived at the restaurant at 7.45pm and didnt eat untill 10pm. They obviously need more staff or just wait staff that can do there job. I am a local and enjoy going here for a drink at the bar but will never dine again. The service is not good enough. I have been working in hospitality for over 9 years and can not believe how dissapointed I was.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
saltybean, Manager at Salt House, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Hi Erin,

We are very sorry to hear about your dining experience at Salt House. This is not something that we like to hear!

We pride ourselves on exceeding customer's expectations however it sounds like we did not hit the mark this time. We will ensure to pass on your feedback to both our service team and kitchen team for them to learn and grow from to make sure it does not happen again in the future.

We would like to invite you back to experience Salt House in the best possible light at a time suitable to you. Please contact olivia@salthouse.com.au to arrange at your earliest convenience.

Again, we are sorry that you did not enjoy your experience and we hope that you will give us another opportunity.
“Beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

Very good service, all are very friendly staff. Food was delecious (must get the lamb) and fantastic spot. A little pricey but worth the money. Thank you!!! Will be back

• 4 of 5 stars Food
saltybean, Manager at Salt House, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Thank you for your recent visit and for the positive review on Trip Advisor.

We enjoy hearing that our customers enjoyed their experience at Salt House - we will ensure to pass on your comments to our team. Great to hear that you love the lamb!

We look forward to seeing you back again soon and thanks again for choosing to dine at Salt House!