“Terrible, if apologetic, service & disappointing food” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Situated at Marina Point, next to the Cairns Yacht Club facilities, Salt House is a unique dining, bar and entertainment venue offering a panorama of the ocean, marina and city on the waterfront in Cairns.
London, England, United Kingdom
“Terrible, if apologetic, service & disappointing food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Took ages to even be seated, even though we had made a reservation. Basically there was nobody available to show us to our table. The waitress we got was completely useless. She didn't know the menu, she didn't know the wine, she didn't even seem to know how to serve. The food took ages to come out and when it did it was disappointing. I ordered the seafood platter as my main meal and found it tasteless, the octopus was inedible and the tuna may as well have come out of a tin.I had asked our waitress what "bugs" were and she couldn't shed any light on the subject. It turns out they taste like oversized, flavourless crayfish. We had bought a bottle of sparkling wine with a view to buying another and maybe some cocktails, as we were celebrating our last night on holiday. It took so long to get our glasses topped up that we only managed one bottle. When the waitress poured the last of the wine she just walked away. Ask us if we would like anything else surely?! We had wanted to enjoy a final blowout in a nice restaurant and it was very depressing to end on such a low. The restaurant itself looks fantastic and is in a lovely location but that is all I would say to it's credit.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Salt H, Manager at Salt House, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Hi Tessa,

We are sorry to hear about your bad experience recently for your visit to Salt House.

We are constantly striving to exceed our customer's expectations and it sounds like we let you down on this occasion. We assure you that your experience is not a common occurance and we will ensure to discuss this with our training manager and all our team members.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed the views and the restaurant area though.

If you would like to discuss this further and give us another opportunity, please contact olivia@salthouse.com.au at your earliest convenience.

We look forward to hearing from you soon and again, we apologise for your experience.

“Best seafood platter ever!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I went to salt house on my weekend visit to cairns. My friends and I enjoyed it so much that we went back 3 times!!! The seafood platter was the best I ever had and amazing value for money. As was the cheese board! A beautiful setting looking out over the marina. Get involved!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Salt H, Manager at Salt House, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you for your recent visit to Salt House - it is fabulous to hear that you enjoyed it so much that you came back three times!

The seafood platter is the freshest seafood our chefs can get their hands on so we are happy to hear that you enjoyed it and thought it was good value for money. We will ensure that we pass your positive words onto our team of chefs.
The view is great too so we are glad that you enjoyed it as well.

Thank you again for your multiple visits and we hope that you can visit Salt House again next time you are in Cairns.
brisbane
“A ritual in Cairns for me”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I took my daughter here as it has always been a fav of mine, it was sweltering at 38 degrees so we could not stay long, just enough to have a drink and eat from their great bar menu, service was fine and food delicious, I look forward to my next visit.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Salt H, Manager at Salt House, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you for your multiple visits and the tradition of visiting us at Salt House - we appreciate your patronage and thank you for taking the time to write a review!

Great to hear that you enjoyed our new bar snacks menu and a cold drink. There are some delicious dishes on there from our team of chefs.

We look forward to welcoming you back again for your next visit to Cairns!
Kansas City, Missouri
“A first-time experience I won't forget”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

It's unfortunate I had to rate the food, since I didn't eat any. It was an unforgettable experience because I've never been to a
restaurant where I could observe no less than four tables (including us) get up and leave before even receiving water to drink.
It was extremely hot, lunchtime, and finding menus was a hunt because the only 4ever present was a sweaty mess, reassessing around corners and unable to stop long enough to properly address us. We found menus, and were willing to wait to try what seemed to be an unimpressive menu. However, i'm familiar with the service industry, and travel enough to recognize an impending disaster of a dining experience to know when to get up and leave (which has honestly never happened before). That poor server was so far in the weeds I can't imagine how she found her way home. Even the kitchen staff looked stressed out on her behalf. You guys need more staff!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Salt H, Manager at Salt House, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
We are sorry to hear that you did not get to experience Salt House and that our service let us down for your visit.

We try to exceed our customers expectations every time however it appears that we have failed on this occasion. We will ensure that we address this issue with our floor team and discuss the menu with our team of chefs to stop this from occurring again in the future.

We would like to invite you back to Salt House again in the future to show you how amazing our food is and improve our service to you. Please email olivia@salthouse.com.au to discuss your visit in more detail. We again apologise for your recent visit and hope that you will give us another opportunity.

We look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.
Sydney, Australia
“Pretty Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Very surprised to see this restaurant rated so low on Tripadvisor. The meal I had was very good. Seared tuna for a starter and although the crayfish I would've liked for a main was substituted with Moreton Bay bugs it was pretty good. The service was friendly and efficient and the architecture of the restaurant a winner. By the sounds of things it might be a little hit and miss but I'd definitely go back when next in Cairns.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hi Biff & Shaz,

Thank you for visiting us during your visit to Cairns and we are glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience!

We love to hear that you had a great meal and our apologies for the substitution of the crayfish to a Morton Bay Bug. Unfortunately some times there are supply issues in Cairns and we would prefer to serve you the freshest seafood possible to ensure the best meal possible.

We will also pass on your feedback on your dishes to our team of chefs.

Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you the next time you are in Cairns!