“Simply Awesome” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Seastar Cruises premium reef cruise combines the outer Great Barrier Reef with a coral cay island. In only 1 1/4 hours the fast air-conditioned Seastar 1 can take you from Cairns to magnificent Michaelmas Cay, the largest of the local uninhabited coral cays. Cruising past Green Island, Upolu cay and Oyster reef Seastar is the first boat to arrive. After an enjoyable time here it is a short 20 minute cruise to the splendid Hastings Reef sitting on the very outer edge. This is where the corals thrive, well out from the coast away from the influence the rivers and streams, adjacent to the clear waters of the Pacific Ocean. You will have 2 1/2 hours at each location. Plenty of time to go snorkeling, do a introductory dive, relax on the beach of the Island or join a tour in the Glass Bottom Boat at Hastings Reef. The day cruise on Seastar inlcudes Morning/Afternoon tea, high quality snorkel equipment, Wetsuit or Lycra suit (depending on the time of year), Glass Bottom Boat Tour, Hot & Cold Buffet Lunch, Reef Interpretation & Guided Snorkel Tours on each spot.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator
San Francisco, California
“Simply Awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

This is my first ever review on TripAdvisor. I felt compelled to review SeaStar Cruises after our tremendous outing with them last week, especially since I found them on this site.

There is nothing negative I can possibly say about these guys.

Everything is included in your price. Fins, mask, stinger suits (if in season), breakfast, lunch. Yes, we had to use the stinger suits in March, they are fine. Makes your pictures funnier looking, too.

Anyway here's how it works: You meet up on the boat, they give you coffee, muffins and measure your feet for fins. A quick introduction is then given by their instructors as to what you'll be doing at the Reef and as soon as you know it, the boat is anchoring out on the reef.

Once there, the groups are divided up. Two snorkel teams and one scuba team for those doing that. The snorkel teams are taken around for 20 minutes by an instructor and after that you are free to swim all over the place for about an hour until lunch.

The lunch is solid, buffet style with salads, sandwich meats, fruit, things like that. Don't be dumb and eat too much though! I kinda did this. You've still got a couple more hours of swimming to do and the second location they take you to.

The second stop, 15 minutes away, goes like the first one. Groups are divided, a 20 minute tour ends with you swimming around with your friends until its time to leave.

At both stops we saw tons of fish. The water was 81 degrees. We ran into a turtle in the afternoon swim. Just awesome.

As for the staff, they are great, very professional. Everyone of them clearly loves their job (how could they not?) and they are all 25-35 years old and energetic. They also go around taking photos on the boat and in the water and post them on Facebook immediately after you get back, which was a nice touch.

There is a reason why these guys are so highly rated on TripAdvisor. It's legit. Go book it now if you're going to Cairns. Swimming the the Reef is a once in a lifetime deal. Do not mess it up! Go with SeaStar.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Great way to see the reef”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

I was between the Seastar and another company when I was choosing a tour and I'm so glad I went with Seastar. I had a fantastic time out on the reef! I did the intro dive at Michaelmas and then the second dive at Hastings. If you're going to dive, definitely opt for the second dive at Hastings - I almost didn't go and it would have been a huge mistake. There was so much more to see at Hastings and the water was much clearer. Saw tons of fish, giant clams, some turtles swimming around, a huge barracuda and even a little reef shark. There was also a ton of time to snorkel after the dives, which was great - I was afraid I would have to choose one or the other, but with the Seastar you really have plenty of time to do both. Great crew, very friendly and personable - really took time to talk to everyone on the boat and engage us. Alexa (the dive master) was great - she was very thorough in her explanations and making sure everyone felt comfortable and her enthusiasm was really contagious. I would definitely recommend Seastar to anyone looking to dive or snorkel on the Great Barrier Reef - they're really a first-rate outfit!

Melbourne, Australia
“Good locations, friendly service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

I've been cairns 5 times in last 10 years and went with many tour operators. We read all the reviews here and finally chose this one which does not disappointed us. Seastar is the best as my sister is always uncomfortable when she was in the water. The tour includes free guide snorkel tour which they take you around and explain all details as well. They just look after us very well in the water even on board too. Thank you everyone well done guys.

Winchester, UK
12 attraction reviews
“Great time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

Agree whole heartedly with previous review. This really is a great choice of boat, crew & itinerary for a barrier reef cruise. Small & personal yet knowledgable & helpful. A young crew who are passionate about the reef. Early start means first boat at reef sites. Excellent lunch buffet with snacks & drinks before & after lunch. We were the 3rd couple from our family to use this company & thoroughly recommend them. This is for most a once in a lifetime
moment & worth paying a bit more for the best experience. Seastar cruises is up there amongst the best!

Darwin, Australia
3 attraction reviews
“Best trip yet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

I have been out on the reef several times and this time was by far the best. Only 16 people on this trip which made it very comfortable but the max is 35. It was so much nicer because I didn't feel like I was part of a huge group with a million tourists.
Staff were fantastic; knowledgeable and always offering assistance. Free use of stinger suits and water noodles and they took photos themselves and put them on Facebook- other companies charge you for photos! This was also great because I didn't take an underwater camera and their pics of the fish were great souvenirs. Check out their FB page for good pics of the whole day.
Lunch was good, plenty of salads, cold meats, breads, cooked chicken wings and vegetable bake. Muffins for morning tea, cakes and fruit for afternoon tea (and really good cakes) and drinks to purchase.
I went on both snorkel tours and they were great. As I don't dive I was pleased with how they still give you lots of attention with just snorkeling.

Overall I was really happy and I will definitely go with Seastar again next time! Thanks heaps guys it was great!