“Unprofessional, unorganised and utter chaos!! The worst customer service I've ever experienced!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Skydive The Reef Cairns

$211*
and up
Ranked #35 of 71 Outdoor Activities in Cairns
More attraction details
Owner description: The Great Barrier Reef, the lush tropical rainforest and the Cairns city skyline provide the most spectacular backdrop for this awesome Tandem Skydive option. Skydive Cairns (part of Skydive Australia) provide FREE return transfers from all Cairns accommodation and full training and instruction from their highly experienced professional team of tandem skydive instructors.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Where to begin?!

So one Thursday afternoon in Townsville, my fiance and I booked ourselves in to skydive with Skydive the Reef Cairns the following Saturday. Not as simple as we originally anticipated. We were utilizing a discount code they had, therefore had to book ourselves in separately (thus paying 2x booking fees). We called to ask if we could book it over the phone together but were told simply "no".

After booking, we spent the Friday (day before the dive) in the rainforest (and therefore had no phone reception) but found the cafe where we were staying had wifi, so I checked my emails to find one from the Skydive Australia head office asking me to call them as soon as possible regarding the booking. I emailed straight away (and marked as important) that I was unable to call as I was in the rainforest, but could they advise me via email what the issue was? 3 hours later (now 2 weeks later) and I received no response.

The following day was dive day. I called the Cairns office as soon as possible and asked what the issue was. The girl on the end of the phone (who sounded like she couldn't be bothered) simply said can't find your booking, come in before 10:30. We arrived at the office at 9:45, they eventually found our booking and said that they've been having problems with the website not transferring customer details to the system (it poses the question, if they knew there were issues then why couldn't we book over the phone?) and were asked to come back at 11:15.

We arrived back at 11:15, sat around for around 30 minutes before one of the staff advised that the regular pilot has gone down to mission beach and there was a new standby pilot who was familiarising himself with the sky. We were told we could leave and they would call us shortly to let us know what was happening. 3 hours later we received a text saying our dive was cancelled for the day and we were to contact them to arrange to rebook or a refund.

On the Monday, we went to the store at 1:20pm to find that they were CLOSED!

On the Tuesday, my fiance went in to discuss our options with the manager. When he asked if we could be provided with any compensation (e.g. a discount off of the dvd) he was told no, because this happens all the time. When he asked how long a refund would take, the manager said she didn't know. Makes you think, who is running this operation?!

Finally we managed to re-arrange our skydive, almost a week after we originally booked. Initially, the girl over the phone TOLD us we had to do it at 7am. Eventually she told us we could do it at 9:30.

9:30 the following day and we arrive at the office, once again. We spend 5 minutes checking in and are told to come back at 10:45. We arrive back at 10:45 and wait. And wait. Then wait some more. Then wait again. It's now almost 12pm and we're still waiting. The instructors turn up, we're asked to get on the bus...then asked almost immediately to get off because there's no drive. As it transpires, it was windy and therefore our dive got postponed whilst they watched the weather, but this information was not relayed and we were simply left sitting there.

Finally we set off, and the dive instructors were awesome! The dive itself was INCREDIBLE!!

To summarise, we had an absolutely incredible jump would skydive again in a heartbeat...but NOT with Skydive Australia or any of it's subsidiaries. From losing our booking, to keeping us in the dark, to the manager not even knowing basic information....it just seemed like the whole organisation is a joke. Obviously the target market for an organisation like this is travellers, it just seems like as long as they get your money they don't care about the level of service provided. Simply put, I have never received customer service from anywhere as poor as this! I implore you to book with someone else.

Visited December 2012
SkydiveOZ, Manager at Skydive The Reef Cairns, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
It is very unfortunate that your experience was not up to your expectations. We try our best to make everyone’s experience a great one that they will always remember.

In regards to the booking process, it’s not very clear as to how you tried to book. We do have specials that are only online and cannot be bought over the phone. However, due to the fast changing nature of the weather, confirming jump times over the phone is the easiest and best way.

Unfortunately, the festive season is very busy and delays can happen, however you will find most tourism companies have a huge influx of customers and do their best to cater to all.
Cairns DVD packages are heavily discounted and we can not reduce the price any further especially in this circumstance that does not happen all the time. It is true we do not know how long the refund will take as it depends on your bank. We complete our part which takes a few minutes then it’s out of our control. As with any refund, from any company.

With the jump time you were offered at 7am, the reason is because this is the best time of day to jump and these slots are prioritised for people who missed out the day before from wind/weather picking up later in the day.

Our company prides itself in a 100% safety record and our figures speak for themselves. We take your review very seriously and look forward to growing and improving from your feedback.

Bucasia, Australia
“Great experience and great customer service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Well we jumped on the day of the full solar eclipse in Cairns so it was a bit of a hectic morning for everyone. I was contacted by reception and advised that the jumps had been rescheduled because of the eclipse in the morning. That was no drama and I arrived at their office a little early whee I was met by very friendly staff who were all too willing to help fil out forms, etc to get me ready for the jump. My family were going to the jump zone to watch and meet me. The staff also advised them of the best time to get there and then when the arrived they were met by another staff member who was very friendly and helpful, he call the plane by radio and found out what color chute we had Sotheby's family knew which way to point their cameras. I did the tandem jump with Max. What a gentleman. Thanks Max. Very professional and your conversation won the history of the business and tandem jumping was very interesting. If you are going to do this then make sure you get the DVD and pics as they are well worth it. Loved the experience. Do it.

SkydiveOZ, Public Relations Manager at Skydive The Reef Cairns, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Hi Mark,

Thanks alot for your review, its great that Max showed you a wicked time, and that you have an awesome video to relive the memories with family and friends!
Hope to see you again soon
Cairns, Australia
5 attraction reviews
“60 Seconds of UNFORGETTABLE ADRENALINE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Absolutely an amazing experience, I will defiantly be doing this again. Our jump was postponed one day due to the heavy clouds, it was clearer the day we jumped but we waited a couple of hours before they got the ok to jump. I know they get a few complaints about delays but they are battling with nature, the weather is not something that is 100% predictable. I am glad there are more delays rather than accidents. The instructors are so energetic and professional; I can’t wait to jump again.

Visited June 2012
We really appreciate that you take consideration into how we work with the weather, its great you got to experience the thrill of skydive over Cairns.

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review
“Magical says it all!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

At sunrise this morning the delightful jeremy and team at skydive cairns took me 14000 feet above palm cove beach and gave me the ultimate expierence. Free falling at 200km an hour for a minute then gliding through the sky for four minutes or so. What a rush and the view. It was a little early, so if you like your sleep land in the valley later in the day. You couldnt fault the operators, from the moment you walk into the office door, you can feel the energy. From the safety briefing to the moment you land your tandem master is an upmost professional. A massive thank you to mine, jeremy. Ive never wanted to hang onto a random man that much in my life. Cheers for creating a lifelong memeroy. I highly reccommend skydiving in cairns!!!!

Thank you so much its so great to hear such good feedback, we couldnt have explained the expereince of skydiver better than this.
We will send on the message to Jeremy for you and look forward to you coming again!
Berlin, Germany
“Awesome-Professional-Best View!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I have jumped 13 times around the world and this company gave me the best experience. Professional and what an awseome drop zone. My tandem master was great, letting me steer the parachute and a perfect landing!! Not sure what the woman before is talking about (why couldn't you lift your legs? My harness was tight and I had no problem!), this is the best company I've been with and felt safe at all times! All checks were done better than anywhere els ein the world and perfect temperature. Great view of Cairns and out to the reef. Great price, Thankd guys keep up the great work!!

Visited August 2012