“Great sharehouse, great people!” 5 of 5 stars

You added Cairns Sharehouse to your Saves list
Cairns Sharehouse
17 Scott Street, Cairns, Queensland 4870, Australia   |
Ranked #9 of 83 Specialty Lodging in Cairns
“Great sharehouse, great people!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Backpacking couple from the UK who wanted to meet new people without being stuffed in a dorm in a hostel. Cairns Sharehouse was everything we were looking for. We originally came in December 2013 for 2weeks and stayed at 22 Scott Street. Not expecting to end up back in Cairns, we returned to the sharehouse and ended up staying 3months. We stayed in a double room costing $240pw, works out about $34pn. This is cheaper then a double room in a hostel or even two single beds in a dorm. The rooms are really decent size, very clean and come with a hamper kit of plates, cutlery etc. there is a shared living area, kitchen and 2bathrooms. Cleaners come once a week to clean the communal areas. All you have to do is wash your dishes and take the bin out once a week. The sharehouse team are awesome, really laid back, friendly and helpful. I ended up cleaning for the sharehouse to help reduce the rent of our room. There are a range of houses some cheaper, just depends if you want a party house or a quiet house. 22 Scott street is 1min walk to Cairns shopping centre and 15min max walk to the lagoon.
We loved it there, made life long friends and would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Loved 22 Scott street, go to 300 draper street if you want a party!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

I stayed at 67 MInnie in a larger, ground floor room with a microwave and small refrigerator. It was absolutely perfect for my needs. I could use the huge upstairs kitchen for cooking more complex meals.My room was spacious and the bed very comfortable. The garden area and little spa were lovely outside my patio was-a real bonus. I did not use the outdoor grill but my other flatmates did. I appreciated that all people in the house respected the 10:00 pm noise curfew. There was never an issue in that regard. The location of the house meant that I could walk or cycle to every place I needed to go. I could not have asked for anything more! I wondered how my flatmates would take to having a 67 y.o. woman in the house (they were all 20-32 yrs of age) but they were all welcoming, helpful, and we had some great shared experiences. I could not have asked for anything better in my choice of accommodation for my month in Cairns.

Room Tip: Tall people would be better to book an upstairs room rather than the larger rooms in the lower level...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Kaiserslautern, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

We planned to stay for 4 weeks. But we loved the sharehouse so much, that we've decided to stay for nearly 3 months!
The house was very clean, we had enough privacy, nevertheless it was never boring. Also the Cairns Sharehouse staff was always very, very friendly and helpful.
The location of the CSH was also perfect, because everythink war in walking distance. (Shopping Center - 2 minutes walk: perfect! ;) )

The Cairns Sharehouse ist really a perfect home-away-from-home! Thanks Guys for that aweome time!

Room Tip: Lumley 18 Street, lower apartment. The first 4 weeks I had an room in the upper apartment, but I lik...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Cairns, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

I've been staying with Cairns Share House for 5 months and it was perfect!
- the house was clean
- there was a cleaner coming every week
- the bedroom was clean, with a nice wardrobe to organise my things
- the kitchen has everything you need, dishes, saucepans, pans, oven, kettle, a clean and spacious fridge.
- the employees are really nice, polite, and are always doing their best to help you.

A place a i would recommend to anyone looking for a quality accommodation! (But if you are a party animal, go to a party-hostel as Cairns Sharehouse doesn't tolerate trouble after 10pm, and that's also why I love it. :) )

Room Tip: If you are a party animal, go to a party-hostel as Cairns Sharehouse doesn't tolerate trouble af...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
cairns-sharehouse, Manager at Cairns Sharehouse, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your review. We do try to ensure that we accommodate like minded guests in our apartments, and each house accommodates a certain type of guest. Whilst we do have a few houses for more suited to those guests looking for a bit more fun and social activities, we do find most guests like the 10.30 pm noise rule and are happy to move into town to continue their fun after 10.30 pm or turn the TV down a bit to ensure everyone who is happy. We are glad you loved your house so much. Best of luck in your future travels.
Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

I stayed in the Cairns Sharehouse for 10 months and I simply loved it there. I would highly recommended to anyone who comes to travel around, study or work to Cairns. The office staff was very friendly and always helpful. I lived at 8 Loeven Street where I hired a single room. The facility was beautiful with clean pool, just behind the Cairns Central and very close to downtown.
When my partner came to see me we moved in a couple place a quiet fabulous Queenslander house with a large garden.
Cairns is a wonderful place to be and Cairns Sharehouse is the best accommodation choice , a great cosmopolitan environment, with heaps of options to meet new friends and excellent service provided by professional local staff. Dobra H.

Room Tip: Single rooms are freferable unless you travel wit a mate. Anyway, all rooms are fully furnished, com...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Thanks for your review, it's great we were able to offer you a few flexible accommodation options during your time in Cairns. Lady Loeven is a lovely place and the pool is nice, especially being girls only. I am glad you also had the chance to enjoy a little bit of added luxury at the Queenslander with your partner - it is such a great house with so much aussie character and the spa in that little garden is like an oasis in summer. Happy travels.
Cairns, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

I recently moved to Cairns as I transferred with my job to this area from Mackay. It is virtually imposable to rent a permanent unit until you are living in a city as real estate agencies require you to physically inspect a property before they will rent it to you. That was the dilemma. Im not a backpacker or a tourist so was looking for stable safe and affordable accommodation while I found my feet. No way could I of stayed in anything like a backpackers as I need my own space and do shift work with the odd hours that entails, but I also couldn't afford to book a room in one of the resorts or hotels for 6 weeks.

Cairns share house fills the gap between the two perfectly. I have a double bedroom to myself with a balcony (being a smoker this was great for me), a pool, and access to unlimited internet for a small extra charge / month. The people in the office have been fantastic to deal with. When I first moved in I mentioned that the curtains may not block out the sun quite as much as id hoped (shift work hence having to sleep during the day sometimes) and they came around and tried some other curtains for me which were perfect.

The 6 apartments here have language students, people on working visas, and even a few professionals like myself. I will be moving to my own unit in a week which I am looking forward to, but the share house has been a fantastic springboard for me in this city.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
We are so pleased the black out curtains worked for you! We are a small family business and we really do like to try to personalise our service as much as possible, so it is great that we were able to meet your needs and make a difference to your stay. It was great that you found us the perfect springboard into your new life in Cairns, and hope you will come back again!
Bolton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

My boyfriend and I found the Cairns Sharehouse at the perfect time. Having had enough of hostels the sharehouse allowed us to have a home from home. The staff at the office were fantastic and very friendly. I spent many an hour on the computers (for a small fee) and riffling through their newspapers looking for jobs, the guys were able to point me in the right direction on places to look as well. The staff also had a great knowledge of the local area advising us of areas to go for long walks, places to eat and which tours were best to go on. After looking at a number of properties we decided to stay at 80 Martyn Street which is a block made up of 6 apartments. Most of the people there were students which lead to a relaxed environment. The property and grounds were kept to a high standard and they had a maintenance guy who was always on call if there was any problems. There was a couple of washing machines, a dryer and plenty of hanging space around the back of the property which is where you also found the pool, BBQ and seating area as well. Our room was light and airy, lots of storage space, tv, dvd player and a balcony. The apartment itself was made up of a large kitchen/living space, two bathrooms and a large balcony which was great for communal meals outside. There was a rota in the house for cleaning duties which kept the ants at bay and also a cleaner who came round once a week for the communal areas. Martyn Street also had a couple of caretakers who were great, they checked on the apartments every evening, made sure noise was kept to a minimum in the evenings, were a friendly face and always there with a spare key just incase you locked yourself out ;-) Martyn Street was around a 15 minute beautiful walk from Cairns alongside the railway line. It was also a 15 minute walk from the seafront which provided you with many free facilities including BBQ's, gym equipment, volleyball courts, the lagoon etc. All in all we loved Cairns and the sharehouse we met some amazing people and have lots of fond memories.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Cairns Sharehouse? Share your experiences!