“Regular” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #45 of 67 Hotels in Cairns
Ayr
“Regular”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

Hi I'm quiet a regular at this hotel staff always friendly always clean and tidy. I have stayed there when international students have been there they are welcome well mannered and respectful I will continue to stay here when get chance

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Cairns
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

Stayed here with some friends over the long weekend, was pleasantly surprised. It had everything we needed at a very affordable price. The family rooms were massive and handy to everything. There was a BBQ, games room, volley beach court, and a cold pool to beat the hot day. The rooms have been renovated as everything looked newish. The managers and Shirley on the desk provided plenty of information, and made us feel welcome, will be staying here again and for a fraction of the city hotels. I must add we stayed here some years ago it was a bit run down but cheap. Its still cheap but much more stylish and heaps more to do on site. Well done Tropicana. We all loved it.

Room Tip: Family rooms
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank gearo72
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Booked 2 rooms and was advised there would be light breakfast included. We turned up to the breakfast hall only to be humiliated by the owner and told our deal didn't include breakfast he was rude,arrogant and acted like a massive jerk. We will be checking out today. The hotel is like a school camp and room is like a dorm. Beyond basic. We will be checking out today

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Country-lover84
tr0picanal0dgem0tel, Manager at Tropicana Lodge Motel, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Sorry to here about your experience at TLM. As you may not be aware we have been providing clean,secure affordable accommodation packages to various students (overseas,local,interstate) and school groups for over 83 years whom often are on tight budgets and don`t regularly see the odd family traveler whom think they can just help themselves to breakfast buffet. Meal options are only available with large group bookings whom often stay for several months of the year.

Travelers are raving about these Cairns hotels

Brighton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

This Hotel should be closed down, built in the 60s and not much has changed, its not fit to put a dog in. Room was dirty, floors not clean, furniture & bed filthy. Thanks to a helpful manager who said she was shocked at the state of the room. (think she must get shocked a lot) we got all our money back & moved to Sheridan Plaza for an extra $100 for two nights. Do not stay here!!!!

Room Tip: Pick another Motel or Hotel, there are lots to choose from!!!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ian P
tr0picanal0dgem0tel, Manager at Tropicana Lodge Motel, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
As we where near full ocupancy with one of our regular training organisations whom use our facilities 7 months of the year,this room is not generally availble to the public.No excuse it was not up to our normal standards and there where small areas over seen by our house keeping team. MY sincere applogises
sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

This is a place I would really rather forget I stayed in. As the previous reviewer said the female staff person can be really abrasive.

They seem to have overcome the internet problem. Beds are very hard,decor is right out of the 50s to mid 60s but it is clean. This place often has indigenous people staying who like to drink outside,talk smoke and be loud. Ideal if you like that sort of thing.

It is a far away from any place to eat. A good 30 mins walk to centre of town.

There isnt much to really recommend this place.Seems the government puts a lot of people in this place as its cheap.

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs and walking shoes and food!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank saltpan
Auckland, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2010

I booked this room online and was told by e-mail that I was to be in one room and that it would be open. When I arrived, this room was occupied by someone else and no e-mail was sent to advise me of the change. There was no internet access in the room (as advertised) which was my primary reason for booking to stay there. The motel is far from any restaurants or shops so after a late arrival I decided to order pizza. I could not even do this as the phone was disabled. Upon buzzing the manager, I was told that I had to provide a $20 deposit to use the phone (although they had my credit card details), however I could not do this until morning as reception was closed (since 6 PM unbelievably!). She suggested a nearby payphone but as I had just arrived in the country I had no coins either. Her response was "Not my problem, mate." Clearly taking 5 minutes to ensure I had a meal after 14 hours of travelling was just too much to ask for. I have never been treated so rudely in 31 countries.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
5 Thank kats-tale
Perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2010

I stayed a night here on my way to Perth and was very very happy with the state of the room I was in. There was not a speck of dust anywhere, the linen - of which there was spare stored in the room, and extra pillows, was crisp and clean, and comfortable. There was lots of towels, soap and loo roll. A sealed jug of cold water in the fridge, cookies, coffee, tea, milk, clean glasses, coffee cups - in fact one cold not ask for more! The room was quiet and I felt secure. There was a pool available, but it is wet season, so just walking around outside is enough to get soaked :)
A desk area for your laptop etc with good placement of electric sockets, a microwave, and once again, very clean.

I recommend this place and will be back.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo