“Cheap and nice” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #72 of 83 Specialty Lodging in Cairns
Paris, France
“Cheap and nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

Was worried other reviews were not that good but my room was fine and hostel 30% cheaper then others. Lovely people working and made our stay fun. Must see reef and check Port Douglas!

lots to do around hostel and realy nice pizza shop next door. Great swimming pool near by

• Stayed November 2013

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Norrkoping, Sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

This hostel seem to let people work for free accommodation. This shows in bad service because no one knows anything about their job or their routines. The room we got, 101, was smelly and dirty. When we left a complaint, we got the attitude "too bad for you". The kitchen crawls with small cockroaches. The beds are squeaky. The showers are both smelly and dirty.
Worst hostel I've stayed in here in Australia, without a doubt.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Cairns, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

I booked a double room at Global Waterfront in Cairns to avoid sleeping on a cramped bunk bed. I wished I had stayed in my previous hostel!

The staff were fine, but everything else about this place is bitterly dissapointing. It is poorly laid out, incredibly noisy, toilets and showers are woefully inadequate. I was amazed such a shoebox of a room could contain as much filth as mine did! The bed was hard and uncomfortable and had a broken spring poking through. The noise from the bar downstairs was audible all night despite being on the 3rd floor, and there was no enforcement of the out of control noise levels coming from other travellers.

Avoid at all costs!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Cairns
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

If you don't get the message from the title of this review then let me spell it out for you..... What an absolute cesspit! The place is actually filthy, I would want a shower after cooking in the kitchen (if you can call it that I'd describe it more as a farmyard free for all). On the topic of hygiene I seriously would rather shower in a pigs den with a hose pipe! You'd probably come out cleaner! It is really that disgusting, the fridges have no room for food as it taken up with bags full of stale, grotty waste from last years staff Christmas dinner. All jokes aside, the hostel managers should really take a look at the state global waterfront is in. So many people we met said they would rather do time in guantanomo than stay there for another day. As for the rooms, they are supposed to be 'deep cleaned' every other day, what actually happens is the staff come in for 30 seconds empty the bin and off they go. You have to give your key in each time in exchange for cutlery etc, but the worst of it is theres prob about 20 sets to go around everyone. The teatowels are filthy and each bag is missing something.... so annoying! The staff behind the desk are not exactly what you would call helpful either, they have to be dragged out of their conversations to notice your there this is except for a lovely lady who organises the trips for you. She helped us formulate a plan for the whole east coast and gave us great deals for booking with her. This is prob the only positive comment we had to say about this hostel and perhaps the location. Bad just doesn't describe it! Don't do it to yourselves guys!

Room Tip: Theyre all as bad as each other
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

the rooms here are really poor,concrete floors walls really ugly,the beds are ok but this place really looks like a prison on the inside! echoes really loud so you can hear everything all day and nite,air con was never turned on,bathrooms very basic and dirty,mouldy shower curtains...for the price this place should be better

• Stayed August 2013
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I stayed in a "double deluxe" room and I'm not sure why it was called deluxe there was nothing deluxe about it was a simple room. The room was clean, had a comfortable bed, two power cord outlets, and a ceiling fan. Simple but that's why the price is low. The view on the balcony was very good and a good place to get away from the noise inside. The wifi isn't free but its a decent price (I think $10 for 3 days).

One issue I had was that the pictures didn't seem to match what I had envisioned. I thought the picture of the lagoon across the street was the actual beach. The swimming beach is a good distance away because the area right outside has a high crocodile population. The lagoon is lots of fun and actually better than hanging out at the beach. I found a good place to sit in the shade and cool off in the water.

The second major issue is the noise. I was on the 3rd floor and the room had no window just an opening out to the main atrium which the noise came through the entire night. And it seemed every night I'd get a heart wrenching scare! There was everything from yelling/screaming to laughing. One night I thought someone was trying to break into my room. I jumped up from a dead sleep and opened the door in a panic ready for a possible fight! It turned out to be people at the stairs and the atrium just being extremely loud. It gave me a big scare and I defiantly didn't sleep much that night.

The staff was friendly and had a smile on their face. That says a lot about a place when you are greeted with a smile.

Overall Global is good. Although it wasn't what I expect it did the job. I would probably stay again because of the location and comfort of the room. However I think the management may want to consider a way to decrease the noise.

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Townsville, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

To begin - NO plugs in the rooms OR the bathrooms, two showers and one toilet for an ENTIRE floor, loud, not a nice layout, rooms are cramped and unwelcoming. I stayed here for a week while I was in Cairns - while my friends all stayed at Gilligans and the YHA .. I wish I had joined them. Lets just say, I would not recommend this hostel to anyone unless you are the kind who only wants a bed for one night. Much better places to stay in Cairns.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Been to Global Backpackers Waterfront? Share your experiences!