“Central Location” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #60 of 66 Hotels in Cairns
Cooktown, Australia
“Central Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

My family and I stayed here twice in the last three weeks. We go to Cairns regularly. Rates are reasonable. As most other reviews state the rooms need a good clean and update.More kitchen gear is needed and old stuff replacing. No security screens or doors.Can be a bit noisy at times. Vin and his staff are very friendly and obliging. I wish them luck with their refurbishment and new venture.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I stayed here 3 nights, and returned to Cairns for my last night... Called ahead and Vince had my room waiting for me. Excellent family run business, no frills, reasonable price and removed from the noise. Kitchenette is reasonable size and so is the room. As a traveler who has been couch surfing, tenting, and van sleeping for a month, this was just what I needed. I clean room that I could spread out in, a place to cook my own meals, laundry facilities, and a room off to the side where I could get some rest. It's only a 2 minute walk to the top end of the Esplanade which makes it a perfect spot for a morning run or walk. Staff/owner was super friendly and helpful...the family has it's hands full with renovations. By the way, I am a US citizen, and in deference to the post below, I was not treated with anything but respect.

Downsides... just those that you would expect at this price point. Bedroom window faces the parking area, so had to keep the shades drawn for privacy. They forgot to clean my room one of my 4 days, but I am sure they would have upon request. Pool was small, rooms are dated in decor... but none of this affected my sleep or relaxation.

I'd stay again, for sure. Thanks Vince and family

Room Tip: Ground floor facing the pool was the most private for front of room. Just have to be ok with bedroo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Frisco, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed at Tropical Queenslander, Cairns, QLD, Australia in January, 2013. Although branded as a 3 1/2 star lodging it was anything but. Mold, dirt, shopping carts were just a few of the views we had from our 2nd floor balcony. Although we changed rooms, attempting to get a better room, that was impossible. Whatever you do, avoid this lodging!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Vince P, Owner at Tropical Queenslander Hotel Cairns, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
We are the new owner at Tropical Queenslander and we are taking our customer comment seriously. To be franked, the customers checked-in while the hotel were in the middle of renovation process. They were offered a choice to stay at the Hotel including free upgrade to deluxe suite & free wifi OR to have their money fully refunded. The customer stayed for 4 nights then asked for compensation when leaving on the 5th morning. After being refused, they had threaten us with negative response on Tripadvisor. Their room was cleaned daily, no moldy and dirty story. There were some shopping carts on the ground floor as the shopping centre is located nearby but the carts were well placed in their parking slots - not sure what the customer was really complained about.
Llandeilo, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

So I was a little nervous about staying here after reading most of the negative reviews. However, I was pleasantly surprised. I should also note beforehand that there is new management at this hotel and they seem serious about getting this hotel up to par.
The rooms were comfortable and clean and staff were always very friendly and ready to help.
I didn't come to Cairns to stay in the room 24/7 either and hey, you get what you pay for, and i paid for budget accommodation.... just a clean, comfortable place to sleep. And it met my expectations.
I should note however, that if you are not prepared to walk into the central area... approx 1.5km... then either be prepared to pay for a taxi... approx $8-10 or don't stay here.
Renovations... yes, the hotel does need some renovations, and according to new management they are on the way. So this hotel seems to be going in the right direction. All in all I enjoyed my stay, so thank you Tropical Queenslander!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Devizes, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This is a below standard Motel which I would have avoided had there been a choice: 600,000 thousand people invaded Cairns to watch the Solar Eclipse - we were not among them. The only good thing about the place is the water pressure which is the highest I have ever met. The restaurant is 300 yards down the road (not80 meters as claimed) at the Queenslander. Yes there are 2 (I was told there are actually 3). The food is good but the choice very limited. The staff in both places are very friendly and efficient - they need to be!

Room Tip: The rooms are all the same - poor
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback. We are the new owner of the Motel 2 months after your stay. All rooms are under renovation process, and upgraded as we are writing this response.
Adelaide
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights as a last minute booking as this was relatively cheap. Firstly, the reception lady was really friendly when we checked in and out. But the hotel itself needs some renovations done....we also felt very unsafe as the first thing she told us was to always make sure the door is closed as 'they are quick'!! eeek!! so we freaked out as soon as we got there. also the back sliding door lock could easily be wedged open with a pencil the gap was that big. i took my valuables with me all day. it was right near the beach which was a plus, but it was about a 25 minutes walk along the esplanade to the main city centre. the toilet was also having flushing issues which kept us up all night. so yes, until they renovate i wouldnt recomend this hotel, and would also stay somewhere closer to the city centre as its a bit of a walk in the warm weather.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your comment. We are refurbishing the rooms as we are replying to you. All rooms have new toilet cisterns. We were in the process of changing ownership, some staffs were new and gave you the wrong impression. The room is safe to place your valuable items. The hotel has all the amenities near by i.e. post office, shopping, fast food outlets, etc... We are looking forward for your future visit.
Moscow, Russia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Located in 30 minutes from the center of tourist area and the pier.
There is a feeling that everything is aged- not redecorated for years. Room is simple, not too bad but not very clean. Has a small kitchenette. Reception works till 6pm. No free wifi.
Does not cost the money paid, to be frank.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your comment. We were in the process of changing ownership. It is now completed. We do offer free public wifi. Rooms are under refurbishment. Office is opened till 8:30PM. There is also a phone handset locate outside the reception to call us if you need help. All late arrival are automatically check-in via PIN number to access rooms.

Been to Tropical Queenslander Hotel Cairns? Share your experiences!