“Noisy, Dirty and Overpriced” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Cairns City Apartments (Clarendon, Beaumont & Regency on Spence)

You added Cairns City Apartments (Clarendon, Beaumont & Regency on Spence) to your Saves list
Cairns City Apartments (Clarendon, Beaumont & Regency on Spence)
4.5 of 5 Condominium   |   75 - 79 Spence Street, Cairns, Queensland 4870, Australia   |
Ranked #48 of 84 Specialty Lodging in Cairns
boulia, queensland
“Noisy, Dirty and Overpriced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

I booked into Regency on Spence as we required accomodation for a couple of nights to conduct some business in town. We had stayed the previous week at Piermonde Apartments, unfortunately these were fully booked and Regency on Spence was one of the only two bedroom options left. When I booked the accomodation I requested a portacot and also commented on the price which was $61 a night more than a huge two bedroom on the 14th floor with amazing views and all the little extras at Piermonde. There was no flexibility on price or locals discounts offered. Beggers cant be choosers so I took the apartment. On arrival we had to check in at Clarendon on Spence, checkin was unusual, couldnt descirbe it as exceptional service, but it also was not overly bad service.
Once parked and unloaded in Regency I realised that I would have to take the baby out of the pram and try and go up and down flights of stairs with baggage and a baby as there were no lifts. I would have thought that when booking accomodation with a portacot you would be told that you would not have easy acess with a pram. Not a good start for the Regency.
Arrival in the room showed a reasonably sized area with an excellant kitchen. The master bedroom has a large ensuite with spa, unfortunately the spa could have been cleaner and the carpet in this room is filthy. The second bedroom has a much better bed than the master and the second bathroom was perhaps a little cleaner but still could do with a doese of exit mould. The fan in the master bedroom struggled to turn and was unable to produce a breeze, the fan in the lounge had the same issue. Of the Three bedside lights available, only 1 worked. For the price that you pay you are not showered with the standard expectations, there is no shampoo, conditioner or tissues and the toilet paper more closely resembles sandpaper.
Walking barefoot on the floor resulted in black feet so I am not sure that housekeeping mop so well, and the deck is unuseable due to the thick layer of black grime on floor, table and seats.
Sleep is not something you are likely to get from this room (number 4) The neighbours slam doors regularly and the noise from the street and nightclub is terrible.
Whilst the apartment is conveniently located, most apartments in Cairns are as the city is not that big. There is not a nice view from the aprtment and I certainly would not rate this apartment above two stars.
The service from the manager on check out was also not good enough. I told the manager of the issues with the apartment and was thanked for my opinion!!!
I would not reccomend this apartment and would certainly never use it again.

Room Tip: Not baby friendly
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

Stayed with my parents and a friend for three nights on holiday. We booked a 2-room apartment and were pleasantly surprised to get an upgrade to a 3-room apartment (room 7) in the Regency Building.

The location is top-notch, only 5 minutes' walk to the fleet reef terminal which saved us some costs on taxis. Apartment no. 7 is in the back of the block, away from the noise on the main street, spence street.; but the downside was very limited natural light. The apartment's living area, master bedroom and balcony were large, while the other two bedrooms were of standard sizes. The kitchen was fully equipped with a large stainless steel fridge, utensils and tablewares. Overall the interior fit-out and furniture were slightly tired but didn't hamper a pleasant stay. It was a bit unsettling that the security door guard on our apartment door was broken. Each room only had a very thin blanket which was barely adequate for 14-degree nights in June.

The reception is located in the Clarendon building (the interior of which appeared newer than the Regency building, judging from the reception hall) next door. We checked in on a public holiday and there was no staff on duty, so we had to wait the next day to get the keyfob to the security carpark. Natasha the manager was a lovely lady.

Overall very good value for money and the little flaws didn't bother us too much considering we were out playing tourists most of the time. The property feels like a 3-star hotel that has great potential to go 4-star. Will consider going back for all apparent upsides.

Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Brisbane
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

This was a place to "plonk" ourselves whilst in Cairns visiting friends - we weren't "tourist" in the traditional sense - our Cairns friends were going to keep us entertained!- ie we didn't need to be next to the esplanade, or near the casino or anything like that, we just wanted a bed to sleep in & a spa in our apartment to chill out.

We didn't book ahead, but had done some research beforehand in case we decided to stay in accommodation rather than impede on our friends for too long. So full credit to the lady (Natasha) who came down and booked us in.
NB: The office is closed over weekends - which is a bit weird for serviced apartments in a holiday area - anyway, it seems to work for them.

The Good:
Spacious Apartment
Great entertaining area on the deck
Has a spa in the ensuite
A Kitchen with great range of appliances and utensils
Right over the road from Cairns' main shopping centre (depending on who you are, this could be a bad or good thing)

The bad:
Nightclub noise (deep base) every night (weekend) waking us up regularly
Light curtains in bedroom was not good at keeping light out
Dirty floor on deck (although probably because some of the deck had just been re-tiled and it hadn't been cleaned up properly due to our unexpected booking)
Dirty carpet in main bedroom
Unexpected "extra cleaning" charge, automatically charged to the Credit Card after we had left Cairns - after a quick email & follow up phone call, this was removed

The Apartment:
Very spacious - massive actually. 2 Bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, spacious deck/entertainment area & large living/casual area. So large was the space that the designer could have put a 3rd bedroom in and it would still be a large unit. The main bedroom ensuite had a SPA - yes!!!!! Downside to spa - tap water flowed slowly & took forever to fill up. Also, ran out of hot water before it filled. So only expect a warm spa, not a hot spa.

Main bedroom - Queen bed - but the mattress was hard though (ie a cheap mattress). The massive downsides to this apartment are in the Bedroom. Curtains - while they look like blackouts, are actually thin and let heaps of light through - very hard to sleep in this room. The second downside is the noise from the nightclubs/pubs down the road. We had a road facing apartment - the deep "thump thump thump" from the base of a few nightclubs down the road kept on waking me up throughout the night. Double Glassing or some sort of window based dampening is desperately needed here - especially for the weekend stays (when nightclubs are typically open longer). Third downside is the carpet in the main bedroom was dirty & scruffy. A really good carpet clean is in need for Apartment #4

In the end, it was a nice apartment, but with some downside to it. The nightclub / pub noise, even though the pub is 50+ metres away, I am not sure how they deal with this (earplugs?) - but maybe we should have moved into the second bedroom at the back of the apartment - but then why have a room at the front in the first place if this is an issue.

I would have loved to give you 4 stars, but the nightclub noise & also the email saying our Credit Card had been charged $100 for extra cleaning - not a surprise you want after a good weekend away.

Room Tip: Ask for an apartment away from the main road
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2011

Arrived in Cairns in the very early morning, was given easy instructions to access to the building. Building is very secure with access only to the entrance door and elevator by security key-fob. Also noticed CCTV in place. Apartment 1 was very large and immaculately clean it looked brand new. King size bed in the main bedroom was a plus along with AUSTAR being available on the large flat screen TV in the living area. Great balcony with tables and chairs was perfect for watching some truly magnificent lightning storms that occurred on 2 nights while we were there. Was quite hot during the day but the over head fans worked great as well as the air conditioning. Wonderful pool and BBQ area on the same level as unit 1, which was very convenient for the kids. Just a quick trip across the street to the mall/shopping center and you can stock up on any number of items to cook in the full size kitchen or as we did most nights, cooked out on the BBQ. So many restaurants and night life happenings to mention but can safely say cairns can cater to everyone’s pallet. The front desk girl was very gracious and accommodating and helped us out with all our tour needs. Onsite managers were lovely and were very attentive to any and all requests. Shops in every direction but I would get up in the morning and walk across the street to get the papers and coffee. There was some construction going on in the main level reception area while we were there but did not inconvenience us. Looks like they are putting in computers or perhaps a business center for use (not sure on this) Wi-Fi was available for a small fee which was great we could use it anywhere in the apartment or out by the pool. There is also another room in this unit with a pull down bed although not enclosed as a bedroom could be made into one by a room divider of screen so its technically a 3 bedroom 2 bath rather than 2 bed and 2 bath which although we didn’t use still was a treat to have. Ample storage cupboards and walk-in robe areas were great giving even roomier atmosphere. Was really surprised by how large these apartments were and the convenience of amenities like the pool, full kitchen and BBQ and of course the location across the street from the mall, why we would stay in a hotel. Our family had a truly wonderful vacation and will certainly return to Cairns and Clarendon on Spence.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

I booked to stay in this apartment through wotif.com. During the process of organising this booking I phoned Courtney the Manager at these apartments twice from Melbourne. During one of these phone calls I explained to Courtney that our children suffer from severe anaphylaxis to a range of allergens and that the apartment must be clean. I also noted on the wotif.com online booking form "Please ensure that apartment is clean. Our children have severe allergies.".

We arrived at these apartments at about 0200 on Friday 17 September. On arrival we checked the children's beds prior to putting them to bed and noticed that the pillow slips on the bed were absolutely filthy. One of the pillow slips had a brown skid mark on it and the other pillow slip was dark with dirt as if it had been rubbed across the floor. Several of the lights in the master bathroom were also not working and one of the lights in the lounge area had been pulled out and was dangling by a live 240 volt wire. The sheets in the children's beds also had odd stains on them. In the top drawer of the bedside drawers in the second bedroom was a used condom rolled up in a tissue and an opened condom packet was sitting next to it. The fridge and the kitchen area were also not clean and my Wife had to clean out the fridge at 0200 in the morning so that we could use it. The cutlery in the kitchen had smeared food on it as if it had not been washed and there was dried up food on the cook top and the toaster had a large dent in it as if it had been dropped or punched.

On the morning of Friday 17 September I SMSed Courtney's Manager a gentleman known as Craig to complain about the filthy linen and kitchen area, the used condom in the drawer and the light dangling out of the ceiling by half a metre of live 240 volt wire and the spa which was also not clean. Craig rang me back on mobile to say that he would talk to Courtney about moving us into another apartment. Shortly after this a young Philippino woman knocked at the front door of the apartment and said that she had been sent by the Manager to clean up the apartment. We left this Cleaner in our apartment so that she could finish cleaning and went on a day trip to Skyrail. Before leaving for Skyrail I went down to the Manager's office and spoke to Courtney. Courtney arranged for me to speak with Craig at 1700 on Friday 17 September. Craig never arrived at 1700 for the meeting nor did he telephone me on mobile to say that he wasn't going to come ( NB. After we hurried back from Cairns so that I could talk to him. ).

On Saturday 18 September I found a long sliver of glass in the drawer with the pots and pans. On the evening of Saturday 18 September I noticed that one of the toilets was leaking and that I needed to tap the cistern after the children used the toilet to stop the noise of water continually flowing into the toilet. On the morning of Sunday 19 September we realized that the freezer in the fridge in the kitchen was not working properly and all the food in the freezer had gone off ( NB. About $10 worth of food. ). As we were moving out of the apartment on the morning of Sunday 19 September I found an unused condom in the top drawer of of my six year old daughter's bedroom. I am thankful that my daughter and son did not find this condom and bring it to our attention. On the morning of Sunday 19 September I SMSed Craig ( NB. I have kept the SMS messages. ) to say "Craig, have tried to meet / contact you without success. Freezer broken - lost $10 worth food. Found opened condom top drawer children's bedrm - left it there for you to see. Not acceptable." Unfortunately, Craig did not respond to this SMS.

Our stay at these apartments has caused us considerable stress. I am particularly angry about the used condom in the second bedroom, the state of the linen in our children's bedroom and the unused condom in the drawer in our children's bedroom. In my opinion, it is criminally negligent to leave a live 240 volt wire dangling from a ceiling when it is clear that a family with young children are going to be moving in. It is also extremely antisocial not to clean up used / unused condoms from the apartment and to at least meet with me to try and work through some of these issues. We have booked accommodation through wotif.com on many different occasions over the years and I have never experienced anything like this before. My advice is to be very careful staying at these apartments because if you have a problem do not expect to receive a refund.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
CairnsCityApartments, Manager at Cairns City Apartments (Clarendon, Beaumont & Regency on Spence), responded to this review, December 13, 2010
We thank you for taking the time to advise of these issues you encountered during your stay, we appreciate all feedback in order to improve the business and rectify any items which require extra attention. We do advise however that Courtney is not the Manager, the previous Manager's have sold the business and we advise that Cairns City Apartments is now under New Management.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

we stayed at regency on spence for 4 nights with 2 young children. the apartment was great for our young family. we loved the big balcony it was great for entertaining guests!unfortunately upon checking in we discovered the floors and bench tops were very dusty and dirty and had to be cleaned the following day, this made it difficult for our children to play on the floor. also, the kitchen was lacking a few essentials. we thought the entire unit could use a good cleaning out. lastly, the traffic noise was something we had to get used to.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
CairnsCityApartments, Manager at Cairns City Apartments (Clarendon, Beaumont & Regency on Spence), responded to this review, July 13, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to supply us with feedback on your recent trip. We would also like to thank you for pointing out some deficiencies in the Apartment.
The deficiencies within our control have been noted and rectified.
Unfortunately traffic noise can occasionally be an issue as we are located in the heart of Cairns.

Once again we would like to thank you for your feedback.
Adelaide
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2009

We stayed for a week with 4 year old and a 14 mth old and despite being concerned about being cooped up in an appt we found that as the room was so spacious we were fine. We were there for my husband to attend a conference for the first 4 days so I was in the apartment a lot but being right across the road from the Cairns Central shopping mall meant if we just needed to get out for an hour we could go to the airconditioned comfort of the mall, even though in the middle of the day it was a bit warm to be walking most other places with small children.
These apartments are located a few blocks away (10-15 min walk) from the main hotel and tourist area but this was fine with us as it meant it was quiet at night time.
Craige from the reception area was friendly and always happy to help with both accomodation needs but also tourism info.
Overall we found this apartment suited our needs really well and it was as described on the website we booked it from. Our friends stay in apt 208 and had a super comfy lounge with recliners and a ig LCD TV, we were in 206 and had the worlds most uncomfortable cane lounge and old style TV but this just encouraged us to find other things to do.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Been to Cairns City Apartments (Clarendon, Beaumont & Regency on Spence)? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Cairns City Apartments (Clarendon, Beaumont & Regency on Spence)

Address: 75 - 79 Spence Street, Cairns, Queensland 4870, Australia
Location: Australia > Queensland > Cairns Region > Cairns
Bar / Lounge Children Activities ( Kid / Family Friendly ) Kitchenette Room Service Shuttle Bus service Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
Ranked #48 of 84 Specialty Lodging in Cairns
Hotel Class:4.5 star — Cairns City Apartments (Clarendon, Beaumont & Regency on Spence) 4.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Priceline, TripOnline SA and Odigeo so you can book your Cairns City Apartments (Clarendon, Beaumont & Regency on Spence) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.

If you own or manage Cairns City Apartments (Clarendon, Beaumont & Regency on Spence), register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.