“Very nice and helpful stuff” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Weekly Rate Special
Ranked #12 of 84 Specialty Lodging in Cairns
Vancouver, Canada
“Very nice and helpful stuff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Nice location, close to beach and not far from marina to go to outer reefs . Sarah was very helpful with organizing boat trips and a great source of all kind of useful information. Tracy made a free BBQ dinner what was very nice too. Hostel is close to little beach park where I had a chance to watch hundreds of very colorful parrots.
I stayed in basic dorm but came to Cairns to see coralls and marine life so was not really interested in all amenities.
Definitely recommended.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

JJsBackpackersHostel, Owner at JJ's Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, September 10, 2014
Thank you so much for sharing your comments. It's great that you can enjoy the area around the hostel as well as everything within. Happy travels x

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Palos Heights, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

I was only in town for two nights and the room was very simple, which is all you need for what you pay. The staff, especially Sarah, was very helpful, answering any and all questions I had no matter how inane. It was a nice walk to the Esplanade and at least a 25 minute walk to the marina, but it's worth it.
I'd recommend a stay here.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
JJsBackpackersHostel, Owner at JJ's Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Ha Ha we love that you wrote "simply, but great staff," describes us to a Tee!
Thank you for your lovely review and we will definitely pass on your comments to Sarah.

Safe travels x
Ayr, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

We stayed at JJ's in our campervan for a few nights and enjoyed it here. Quieter than other hostels in Cairns as it is slightly out of the centre but the shuttle bus was great for getting there and back. All the staff were friendly, they recommended and helped us book our trip out to the Barrier Reef. The free wifi was another bonus which is rare in most hostels in Australia!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you so much for your review and for your great ratings!
Sadly, the WIFI is not free however the price is very affordable and unlimited access :o)

Happy travels, from us all at JJ's x
DeLand, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

We were traveling in a small camper van and were able to pay a small fee to use the facilities at JJ's. The amenities were great! The owners are very knowledgeable about the area and were able to help us create a fantastic trip all around the area. They could even book trips on sight. They often had dinners available at low cost on some nights and a trivia night to entertain the travelers. The hostel van was available on a regular schedule to take you to town and even does pickups at the bus station if you are traveling that way. So nice not having to drive the camper everywhere. I will definitely stay at JJ's any time I am in Cairns!
Thanks Tracy and Simon!!! From your Florida Friends!

Room Tip: Make sure to talk to the staff to get great ideas for your stay!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Whoohoo thank you so much, it was a pleasure sharing our wonderful part of Australia with you and glad you got to see the surroundings too! It was great to meet you both and we are glad you enjoyed your time here with us at JJ's.
Safe travels and hopefully we will see you in your part of the world one day?
Cottesloe, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I stayed in a single room at JJ's for one night. I was arriving int the early hours & Tracy & Sarah were very prompt to my emails & helpful with ALL of my questions.

The room was very basic, but all that was needed. A single bed, fan, wee hanging rail & about five power points (which is most helpful for charging everything!). Very clean & enough space for my case, etc.

There was five rooms in my section with two shower/toilet cubicles. Laundry facility (not that I saw) was located nearby. Kitchen (24hour access) with a big fridge/shelf space & from what I could see most items needed for cooking. TV room (24hour access) with sofas, snack machine & another shower/toilet cubicle. Oodles of brochures to help research what you want to do. And the pool!

Breakkie was basic if you were eating the free breakkie - cereal & toast. Tea & coffee was always there when you wanted it.

Nearby was pretty much everything - bakery, pub, take-away eateries, couple of corner stores including late night & early morning openings, liquor store & the Promenade.

Some other reviewers thought that the hostel was too far from the middle of town but I didn't think so, but then I'm more than happy to walk around a new place to get my bearings, see things, etc. I thought the walk along the Promenade to town was a great walk. So much is along the walk - playgrounds, barbecues, coffee shop, beach volleyball, tennis courts, skate park, then when you get to the lagoon - swimming! You hit the Promenade after walking two blocks from the hostel. Too easy. I got the hostel's free shuttle bus back from town one night & that was very welcomed!!!!!

Reception closes in the middle of the day, but that didn't inconvenience me. I was able to leave my luggage in storage before moving on & I was told to talk to the bus driver & he would help me get my stuff if I needed it in that time frame.

Tracy & Sarah couldn't do enough to help - with the questions, or giving advice. When you get the key ($20 deposit) you get a wee map showing where the shuttle bus stop was, the hostel & what was around. I used it often & it was spot on!!!

I was a female, staying at the hostel on my own - I felt completely safe & comfortable. If I ever find myself in Cairns, in the same situation again, I would definitely stay at JJ's!!!!!

Thank you Tracy & Sarah - you girls rock!!!!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
WOW fantastic, what an amazing review and great information for our future guests to read, "THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!"
We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and that we could help out with any questions, that's what we are here for :o)
Hopefully, we will see you again, should you make it back to Cairns.
Safe travels, Tracy, Simon & Sarah x
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

Had a really great time at JJ's, nice quiet location with good areas to meet people and hang out. The staff are really helpful and friendly. Sarah at reception did an amazing job organizing my 3 day trip activities, her recommendations were perfect for what I was looking for. I will definitely stay here again next time I am in Cairns and recommend this hostel to all other travelers. Many thanks :)

• Stayed April 2014
JJsBackpackersHostel, Owner at JJ's Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Woohoo, thanks for the great review!!!
We will definitely pass on your comments to Sarah. She is amazing and has great knowledge of tours and travel to share with our guests.
We look forward to seeing you again when you make it back to Cairns.
Stevenage, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

JJ's was the first hostel i ever stayed in and i loved it! Its a clean and cosy little hostel with a few little perks, like breakfast essentials in the morning, free dinner at the Woolshed each night, aircon(to pay as extra), free shuttle into town although i found the walk along the esplande was nice enough and didnt take too long. The reception staff were soo helpful and would help reccomend your next stay, trips and what around the area. I would stay here again overall a nice friendly little hostel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your great comments & review!
It can be a little daunting staying in a backpackers for the first time. It is so good that we were the first hostel you chose and that everything turned out well :o)
Happy travels and we hope you will continue to choose great places to stay in the future!!

Been to JJ's Backpackers Hostel? Share your experiences!