“Nice option for single traveller” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Aspect Central Motel

You added Aspect Central Motel to your Saves list
Aspect Central Motel
3.0 of 5 Motel   |   209-211 Sheridan Street | corner Sheriden & Grove, Cairns, Queensland 4870, Australia   |
Ranked #44 of 67 Hotels in Cairns
Dunedin, New Zealand
“Nice option for single traveller”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I chose this hotel because of the low price available for a studio room (i.e. twin bed with ensuite). It was a bit noisy between the guests and the laundry next door to my room, but still comfortable in my cosy little room. All the amenities -- mini-fridge, tea service, TV. I also liked being able to book a shuttle to the airport, though it did cost $12. The walk into downtown is a bit far but pleasant, and the hotel is only 3 blocks from the Esplanade. The room was clean and well-maintained overall, though I did find a trail of tiny ants going across the wall (to be fair, I didn't get a chance to tell the reception desk; I'm sure they would've taken care of it because they were very friendly and helpful with everything else)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Morrisville, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Stayed for 2 nights with family here. Room was average, too small for a family room. Bathroom had mould on the walls. Noisy street location and courtyard. Ok for 70$ but would spent more money next time for better hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

I stayed here with my boyfriend for three nights in a standard room with one queen bed for $59 a night. The office hours are 7am-7pm and I wasn't sure we were going to be able to check in before 7pm the first day so I rang ahead and the receptionist was super friendly and helpful, told me she'd put our room key into the safe and gave me the code so we could get into our room. The next morning all I had to do was pop down to sign the check-in form. Everything in the room and bathroom was very clean and in good/perfect condition. The bedding and towels were clean and the bed was very comfortable. The room was air conditioned, well lit, had a ceiling fan and secure windows that could be left open without worrying about someone getting in. I think possibly they ran out of the standard rooms and we were put into the "kitchenette" room because there was a kettle, microwave, toaster, portable hot plate that all worked perfectly which was fantastic because it meant we didn't have to eat out every meal and we could even keep some of our own food in the mini bar fridge. There was also cutlery, mugs, plates etc for two. The food in the Indian restaurant attached to the motel smells and tastes amazing and there's a convenience store 100m which was good. Little bit of a walk to the main part of Cairns (10 minutes to the water then another 10 along the boardwalk to the city center) but the weather seems to be pretty much perfect 24/7 so it was really nice to get all the fresh air and get to know the place. There were little geckos walking around on the ceiling and walls outside the rooms which was really cute. On the last day the staff let us put our bags in a locked storage area because check-out is at 10am but our flights weren't til later than evening. We came back at 5pm to pick up the bags and they kindly called a taxi for us (and even re-called when one hadn't shown up after 5 or so minutes). My flight was then delayed and my airline put me up in a much more expensive hotel for the night and although the hotel was larger and had more to offer in regards to additional services, the room was exactly the same if not less impressive. My boyfriend and I were both really happy with Aspect and if we ever decide to visit Cairns again we will be definitely be booking here again.

Room Tip: I'm not sure about the other rooms but we were upstairs in number 20 and it was great.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Longueuil, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

We weren't expecting anything particular from a Motel, but were pleasantly surprised. The room included a fridge, a stove-top (with a frying pan and a cooking pot), a microwave and a kitchen sink. They also provide you with porcelain cups, plates, metal utensils, etc. More than enough to cook a breakfast, lunch and dinner if you get tired of restaurants. There is a grocery store 3 minutes from there (not the one next to the liquor store across the street, but a little further). They got all you need for cooking/eating/salad/whatever you want, and at very good prices.
The Motel is located 15 walking minutes from the Lagoon, which is an artificial pool with ocean water, which is filtered and pumped into the pool. The pool is very large and has a sandy "beach". It's also free and open till 9PM.
The Motel is also 20 minutes walking distance from the Botanical garden, where you can see lot s of trees, spiders, birds and if you are lucky, a crocodile in the river (we haven't seen one, but there was a Danger sign near-by). Highly recommended to visit it.
The Motel itself is very clean and is in an area without noises, so you'll sleep well. It also has a pool :)

Room Tip: Nothing special, as it's not a hotel that you'll stay in all day. It's best to sleep and...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Long Jetty, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

While reading this review, please keep in mind that I booked a single room for 4 nights at $47 a night. Check in was formal and un-smiling, and I was shown to room 1A which was a surprise. The tiny room (2mx5m)was at the very front of the motel only 6 metres from busy Sheridan Street. Traffic noise was extreme, but the other problem was no internet connectivity. The receptionist came and checked it and said somewhat unenthusiastically that I would be allocated another room, but would need to wait for an hour until it was cleaned. No problem to me.
I looked around and the motel has a smallish swimming pool which was clean and a coin-op laundry with 2 machines. A night-owl and larger supermarket are nearby along with pizza, kebab, fish and chips, Thai food and bakery which are all in easy walking distance.
Room 9 was normal size with a double and single bed, wardrobe, luggage bench, fridge, microwave, kettle, mini-sink, plates, cups, cutlery, tea and coffee, iron and board, hair dryer and spare pillows. There was a locked safe but no key to open it. It may have been available from reception, but I didn’t inquire.
The bathroom was spacious with a large shower recess, sink, bench and toilet. The room was freshly cleaned and bathroom towels, face towels and limited toiletries were provided
Traffic noise could be heard but it wasn’t intrusive. If you’re used to silence when you sleep then I advise earplugs. Parking in the complex is limited, but I never had to park outside as the motel was never full.
Internet connection is a little slow at times, and is also restricted to 150Mb per day. A code is provided to each guest and mine ran out on day 3. I was Skype-ing clients and over-used my allocation, but I was willingly given another code and an additional 150Mb at no charge.
You’ll need a car to get to places of interest. The bus service runs along Sheridan Street, but is can be inconvenient – and expensive.
All in all, a pleasant stay, at a bargain price of $190..

Room Tip: Rom tip: specify you don’t want room 1A – traffic noise and no WiFi.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

It's a cheap hostel in expensive Cairns, so let's face it, you won't get five star treatment. Front desk was ok but night porter was grumpy. I saw some blood on my bedsheet and asked for that to be changed, only to be confronted by the night porter why I only told him late at night. I said I only just noticed it because it was my first night there and I hadn't slept on the bed yet. He then just left some new sheets with me - leaving me having to change the sheets myself!

Other than this incident. The hostel was ok - a good 20/25 minutes walk from the city centre. Adequate air conditioning. Relative modern furnishing. Good Indian restaurant and two small supermarkets nearby.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Townsville, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

I booked directly with the hotel which saved me a few $$ instead of through wotif etc and stayed for easter 2014 weekend in the Executive Spa Suite. The upstairs room itself is well appointed and satisfied myself & a friend I shared the room with. I arrived outside of reception hours & had to use an after hours check in by phone service which was hassle free. The room has a kitchenette covering all basic facilities required for a short stay for a couple unless your cooking for a family, a nice small private patio outside, a HUGE 4 person spa in the room which could tame the nerves of even the most stressed traveller and a separate decent sized bathroom although has the layout of an ensuite. There is a bus stop across the road for those using public transport and across the other side (property is on a corner) there is a few shops including liquorland, nightowl, pizza hut + several more further down the road all within a 10 min walk. That's where the positives end. I think staff, no matter where I stay become accustomed to the property and do not see the details that need attending to. The door to the bathroom kept catching on the door frame until I figured out if I lifted it slightly, the door swung open and closed freely, this was due to screws in the hinges unwinding themselves (lady in reception happily fixed this while I was out the next day) but it's a simple issue cleaners should report to maintenance to have fixed. Exhaust fan in bathroom did not work so steam from hot showers caused overhead halogen lighting to switch on and off for some reason. The shower recess has no screen/curtain so water splashes everywhere into the vanity area. The patio was covered in some form of thick white dust with a dead plant in a large pot present + a blown outside bulb. A simple sweep and removal of the plant + working balcony light would of made a much nicer welcoming. Air con filters where clogged something chronic (see attached photo), once I cleaned them it worked amazingly. The foam headrests in the spa float off once the water level reaches them due to broken holders, the spa light had a blown bulb and one of the air controls came out of the holder freely making it unable to be used. The blinds covering the sliding door that separates the kitchenette from the balcony had vertical blinds missing allowing full morning sun to enter the room which then lit up throughout due to bright white walls (one of my pet hates as I like my sleep ins on holidays) Due to travelling experiences previously, I packed ear plugs which came in very handy to block out the road noise as the property sits on a main road and also blocked out the constant banging of wooden doors & security screens down the hallways although the ones right next to the room still woke me as the walls are paper thin. The room has touch button controls for lighting/aircon/fans etc which was a nice feature however the control panel that sits above the bed and stays alight all night was annoying as to have in your face all night. Twice I returned at night to find the private car parked crammed full and had to turn my vehicle around to use the front entrance to park on the street as the rear gate to exit through is padlocked after a certain time. (I could not reverse out due to my car having low clearance). This seems like an easy task but in a small packed car park it is quite a skill with a family sized sedan. There is LIMITED parking available and reserved parking does not exist (even after I requested it). The rear guest gate entrance has no lock at all and people can come and go freely as they please weather guests or not. A simple electronic coded lock would up the security level big time. The upstairs BBQ/sitting area was locked the whole weekend and I didn't see the restaurant open at all that adjoins the property. I didn't use the pool however it is small and certainly not as "big" as it looks in the website photo. Staff where ok and helpfull although denied a late checkout when requested as they "like to get in early and get them all done at once on a public holiday" what happened to customers being a priority? I also requested a second room key for the friend I shared with which was denied due to the carpark gate toggle being broken.... I asked for a room key not a toggle.. go figure.. I gave up. In saying all the above, the spa in the room made it worth the overlook of such many minor details and was the main reason why I chose to stay here in the particular room I was in. I would return again with my ear plugs if at least the room issues have been rectified just to enjoy that spa again.

Room Tip: Spend the extra $$ and stay in the spa room or try Koala Court just around the corner for a more spa...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends