“Awesome” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Darwin, Australia
“Awesome”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Mixed feelings after dining in this well known Brisbane restaurant. We travelled far to taste the experience we have heard so much about and maybe had too higher of an expectation?
Firstly I could not fault the amazing food, it was absolutely fantastic and I think all who ate at our table had food envy at some stage. The ambiance was spot on and the view of the Story Bridge gave it a classy touch.
I am some times a bit dubiace about an open kitchen and sometimes it pays not to look too closely, that's all I will say on that point.
The staff in the kitchen were flat out as the venue was full to capacity, even with people eating up at the bar.
Although a venue such as his is flat out I believe the staff should not show their stress in what they do. We had one waiter who was like a bull in a glass cage, who was in a rush to get us seated, fed and have us on our way. I looked about at the other staff and they seemed to be in total control, chatting with customers and going with flow.

So other than being rushed I totally rate this great establishment and recommend you take the time to dine.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“The best restaurant in Brisbane”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Having visited many of Brisbane's upper crust, this remain my favourite food in town. For many years, Ecco was recognised as the leading force in Brisbane restaurants but has been challenged recently by newer arrivals like Aria. The food at Ecco is exceptional on every occasion, across the board and across the seasons. I have never had a disappointing meal. A shade ahead of Aria for a shade less dough.

Australia
“Not sure what all the fuss is about...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

E'cco Bistro doesn't declare itself to be a fine dining establishment, and after a visit there in September, I agree. It lacks the finesse required. I don't remember the last time a waiter in a restaurant waited for a customer to remove his/her (untouched) napkin from the table so that the waiter can place food in front of this customer.. isn't that service 101?

This is not a restaurant to choose for a special occasion. The lighting/interior is harsh, the view is of the street and so not ideal for a romantic night out.

The food however, is pretty good. It's a shame that the service and ambience let it all down. And when you're paying close to $100 per person for food only (3 courses), it's not good enough. Brisbane is now home to an excellent array of true fine dining restaurants with similar pricing (and views to match) so I don't think we'll be rushing back to E'cco.

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Kilkenny
“Excellent food, moderate atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I have dined here a few times some years back so I made it a must to eat here on a visit to Brisbane. The food was brilliant, smoked swordfish carpaccio and vegetarian ravioli with fried sage leaves and pecan nuts stand out in my memory. The chocolate dessert with salted caramel also lingers in my mind! Food wise it was marvellous, I don't agree with the comments about portion sizes, for our table we definitely needed to add sides of broccolini and real potato chips (these were gorgeous, such a simple thing but so delicious).

We ate here on a Saturday night with a group of 7 (booked 5 weeks in advance), so it was a reasonably busy evening. The dining setting is very noisy so it is not possible to talk to anyone more than one seat away at a table larger than 4 settings.

Those in our party who did not order entree waited for well over an hour for any food after ordering. By this time we were pretty tiddly and rather hungry! I understand that it is hard to produce 7 mains at once on a busy night, however with that much booking notice surely this could have been anticipated? At least some more bread could have been provided since our table was right next to the kitchen and it was pretty obvious how long we had been waiting. (The sourdough bread was really excellent also I recall).

However, I MUST add that the staff were working like mad in the kitchen and the corkage was generously waived from our bill, so I felt that the restaurant really did try their level best to compensate us. I think this was a one off problem and in future we will avoid booking on any busy evening.

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Brisbane, Australia
“Great Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

Decided to give this one a try after hearing some good feedback from friends and we weren't disappointed with the food or wine, service was also very good however I won't be back in a hurry as we found the seating extremely close together and the room to be very crowded and noisy. Lastly I early fell over when I got the bill, pretty good all round but not for the price.