“Staff are very nice, but the hostel it self needs work” 3 of 5 stars

Cloud 9 Backpackers
350 Upper Roma St, Brisbane, Queensland QLD 4000, Australia   |
Ranked #107 of 114 Specialty Lodging in Brisbane
Prague, Czech Republic
“Staff are very nice, but the hostel it self needs work”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

The kitchen is the smallest kitchen ever, and its so hot in there! If you pay extra for an air conditioned room, beware that the air conditioning hardly works. The neighbouring hostels are much much nicer, but Cloud 9 is by far the cheapest. Besides these things the hostel is at least kept fairly tidy and it is in a good location. One thing I really loved is that every night they have a different event going on in the hostel, so it is a great way to meet people. Example: Free Goon and cheese on Mondays. Quite nice of them!

Room Tip: Check that the air con works before you pay extra for it!
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2015

Horrible hostel. We paid to a girl in the reception and asked for a receipt but she told me that I had to wait, got it 20 minutes later. After 2 hours in the room a rude guy knocks on our door and asks us if we're drinking. We say no and let's him smell my drink. After this he still says that he thinks were drinking. We told him to look around and he did and he didn't find anything this time either and says "I still think you're drinking, and if you are, please stop it. The reason I came to your room is because my colleague made a mistake when you paid and you have to come to the reception and pay the rest." Really rude guy so yeah, the staff is horrible. The room might have been around 35 degrees and it was impossible to fall asleep. It also felt like the bathrooms were being cleaned all the time and the result of this was that boys and girls had to shave, shower and taking dumps in the same restroom. If every hostel is booked in Brisbane and this is the only one left, sleep in the car, it's better!

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2015

If you've ever seen a crack house and wondered what it's like to live in one, Cloud9 is worth checking out. When you enter the building a voice in your head will tell you to leave immediately. Ignore this. I noticed the smell of urine on the way up the stairs. I later learned in this subculture, the management will leave their urine and faeces to show others who is in charge. As soon as you step in your room, you'll feel the rushing sensation that you've hit rock bottom. The carpet is wet with water coming from the AC unit. There's black mould and a patch of ceiling in the washroom was cut out so water could pass though from the dripping pipes above. I'm not sure who owns the building. But in my mind I imagine it's a 6 foot tall cockroach. I was an hour late checking out. The one they call Craps In Stairways was very disappointed in me. I felt like I had fumbled the game winning pass during a super bowl match . And for this, I did not get my $20 deposit back. Could9 has given me a new out look on life. No matter what, things could always be worse.

Stayed February 2015
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2015 via mobile

The hostel is pretty run down. Whilst it is very cheap and very close to the bus terminal it is in pretty shabby condition. The cloud 9 sign is broken, the kitchen is poky and not very clean, the rooms are a good size but pretty filthy and the bathroom was in hideous condition. The vibe is also not very sociable or backpackery.

The staff were friendly and accommodating but not all that knowledgeable about the local area. I'm afraid I would advise staying elsewhere.

Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2015 via mobile

The worst of 6 hostels I've stayed at in Brisbane. Tiny rooms, the advertised air con doesn't actuallying have any coolant and so run down this place should get investigated by health and safety authorities. When it rains there are so many leaks through smashed windows, broken doors and holes in the roof. The showers are mouldy and the urinals are always blocked, and the kitchen is home to armies of ants and the biggest cockroaches I've seen in my life. The manager Chris is really rude to his staff and guests and the assistant manager - Dave - (whilst a nice guy usually) had a drunken fight with a guest where holes got punched in the wall (currently covered by posters) and also went to the toilet on the stairs (pee and poo) after making 3 other staff members cry (2 quit the next day). Most of the guests and other staff are cool though. But do yourself a favour and stay somewhere else. Really. Don't put yourself through that place.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2015 via mobile

Overall, that's one of the good hostel I've been to.. Close to everything, good facilities, every night they offer something to do. They have a bar next door but gotta say it wasn't open when I was there. Had a lot of fun with the staff, always trying to help out. Prices are cheap, I was staying in a 16 bed dorm with aircon and even though it's a big amount of people it was quiet.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2015

This hostel is great if you're looking for bottom line accommodation. Air con doesn't work, rooms are cramped and crappy sheets. The manager of this hostel is 110% unprofessional (Chris) loves to throw peoples belongings out on the street. Your man found empty goon boxes in our 6 bed dorm when the 3 of us checked out. No proof these boxes were ours. He then went to make a public show of verbally abusing one of us. Also one of the duty managers emptied his bowels in a stairwell which still smells a month later. And on top of that the kitchen is foul and bathrooms even more so. But cheap accommodation guys and the backpackers there are sweet :) !!

• Stayed January 2015

Been to Cloud 9 Backpackers? Share your experiences!