“Way past its "Hey Day"” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #213 of 3,122 Restaurants in Brisbane
Cuisines: French, Mediterranean, Australian, Continental
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: a favourite Brisbane restaurant for those 'in the know'. Regional French cuisine using top Queensland produce. Frenchman Francis Domenech and his family have run Baguette for decades and are known for consistently providing top food and service.
“Way past its "Hey Day"”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Attended Baguette's "Spring in Provence" evening last week. This was a set menu specialty evening. Being Spring I expected the menu to be full of light tender Spring delicacies, however the menu was more designed to be hearty, Winter comfort food. The evening started with Goats cheese beignet a la Nicoise canapes ... now a beignet should be light portions of choux pastry ... however these "klangers" were as heavy as golf balls. In all honesty, I thought I was eating an arancini (deep fried rice ball) rather than a beignet! After being seated our first course which was a foie gras mousse salad was reasonable. Next was a Monkfish & mussels bourride with confit fennel ‘chips’ - not a bad dish however too many potatoes in the bourride filled us up. The disappointment for the evening was the main course - Slow cooked leg of spring lamb, stuffed with baby vegs. Definitely not cooked slow enough as it was not 'pull apart' quality. The baby vegs consisted of oven baked stuffed bell peppers and baby aubergine. Too stodgy. And during the whole meal - NO GREENS at all. Better menu planning would have incorporated some light healthy typical spring greens such as asparagus, green beans, spinach or broccolini lift the stodgyness of the meal. Add to this some pretty unimpressive wines to match each course. I dined with a party of 10 pax, one of whom was a chef who had been French cuisine trained. In summary - our whole party left unimpressed.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
baguetteowner, Owner at Baguette Bistrot+Bar, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
The thing about food and restaurants is that we all have strong opinions about what we like ... and what is good. Most people that come to Baguette give us very positive feedback, but you know what -- restaurants are not static. You come, don't like some aspect and declare 'I will never go again'. We have owned and managed Baguette for over 36 years and have employed countless chefs (and waiters). They are humans and can make mistakes, not pay attention or whatever that impacts on our customers. Therefore no restaurant is perfect ... every time. This is why we have our Guarantee where we will replace a dish that you don't like, or not charge you. Sometimes our staff can sense that a customer is not happy over something, but it is also your responsibility to speak up ... which to be honest is not what most Australians are very good at. We would prefer to try to rectify an issue at the time, rather than have people go home unhappy. Although I do accept that at a special dinner like last week's Spring in Provence, this would have been difficult for you. (Thankfully) nothing ever stays the same and Baguette started a new Head Chef this week.

Brisbane, Australia
“Great service and food to die for”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

My husband and I have been to Baguette many times together (for anniversaries etc), also with friends. We love the atmosphere, staff and food. The owners are lovely and make you feel at home. We always leave feeling satisfied and love that their menu changes so there is a different selection each time we go. The food is tasty as well as beautiful to look at.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
baguetteowner, Owner at Baguette Bistrot+Bar, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Delighted that enjoyed your meal. It's a busy time of year with the kitchen and floor pumping so your feedback is much appreciated by our staff who put their heart and soul into their work.
“Perfection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I last dined here 3 years ago, and upon being seated was again stunned! The Menu may only offer 8 items for each course, but it was practically impossible to choose! Classic and modern French dishes, not overstated, but when these works of art came out, they were indeed STUNNING. I opted to not have the duck as i had this at my last visit, but i was impressed with how perfectly it was cooked and presented (a friend ordered it). The Quail i devoured for main course was indeed a French masterpiece, and i couldn't fault it. Most embarrassing of the evening was that i found myself picking at the leftover sauce on the plate! The souffle for dessert........ (i wont gush anymore but needless to say, it was exactly what it should have been!)

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Yes, many new customers are quite surprised when they walk through the bar to discover our restaurant at the back. For others it's become a very familiar and comfortable place where they regularly come with the children for a quiet family get together. We encourage kids and have a specially priced menu for them.
Brisbane, Australia
“An Oldy but a Goody - Updated”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I previously wrote about this restaurant from a historic experience, which was a good one by the way, but was rightly challenged on my opinions by the owner, as they were out of date. So I went back to test the waters. Food very nice I had the duck which I love and this vesion was not dissapointing, it was excelent. My mum had the cassoulet which was nice but not exceptional. The wine is very good, interesting variety without spending hundreds of dollars, thank you for that. We had a berry souffle which was very well done. I would reccommend this place because the food was very good overall, as was the wine and the service was excellent and my mum was not happy with me when I told I had prevoiusly give this restuarant a 3/5, she loves it here and so do I.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Thanks for your detailed feedback, and for returning to try Baguette again. Restaurants are like theatre, every night is Opening Night! Things change ... but hopefully some things remain the same. We really try hard to consistently provide a memorable experience every time you come.
Brisbane, Australia
“Good Service and Great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Wide menu and wine list with great food makes this restaurant a suburban surprise. Once touted as Brisbane's finest restaurant this establishment has maintained a standard for many years.

Thanks for your lovely comments. If you stay in business as long as we have, you have to focus on consistently getting it right. In Australia (but not France) reviewers and the public tend to focus on new restaurants, but sadly they ofteny come and go quickly. Keeping up the momentum and the enthusiasm is another skill set. (Being married to a stubborn Frenchman probably helps!)